Visit pets in quarantine?

saralloyd

Up to you really. What you feel is best I always reckon. You know your dog. Others have to wait till the time is up as they are too far away to visit. Some people hire a dog walker to visit if they can't get there.

Perhaps check with the quarantine kennel you intend to use (search online and you can easily find the contact info) and enquire about how much exercise (if any) they get during their stay and then perhaps decide if you would rather pay someone to go in or go do it yourself on a daily basis (or every other day).

Guest MontyClaude

I think you can only visit twice per week, it's completely up to you whether you visit or not. Personally I'm going to visit mine, but probably more for my sake than theirs. Good luck.

Up to you really. What you feel is best I always reckon. You know your dog. Others have to wait till the time is up as they are too far away to visit. Some people hire a dog walker to visit if they can't get there.

Perhaps check with the quarantine kennel you intend to use (search online and you can easily find the contact info) and enquire about how much exercise (if any) they get during their stay and then perhaps decide if you would rather pay someone to go in or go do it yourself on a daily basis (or every other day).

Thank you, good advice. Just want to do what is best for my dog but until dogs learn

to talk I guess no-one will know the answer!

I think you can only visit twice per week, it's completely up to you whether you visit or not. Personally I'm going to visit mine, but probably more for my sake than theirs. Good luck.

Thank you. Yes, Sydney quarantine kennels allow visiting only twice a week, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Difficult to know if that is more distrupting and stressful

for the dog. The kennels seem quite difficult to get to as well. I was told

it's better not to visit for a few days so that the dog can bond with their kennel carer.

Who knows ... but thank you for your thoughts!

When we came back from Oz, we had our cocker in quarantine in the UK for 6 weeks. We went to visit once and it nearly broke my heart not being able to take him home with us. We could hear his cries when we left. So I refused to visit until he could leave with us. But I am a soppy mare and they do say that your pets will not remember the experience. Not sure what the facilities are like in Oz but I think I read somewhere that you can visit and walk your dog. I stand to be corrected though.

When we came back from Oz, we had our cocker in quarantine in the UK for 6 weeks. We went to visit once and it nearly broke my heart not being able to take him home with us. We could hear his cries when we left. So I refused to visit until he could leave with us. But I am a soppy mare and they do say that your pets will not remember the experience. Not sure what the facilities are like in Oz but I think I read somewhere that you can visit and walk your dog. I stand to be corrected though.

That's just what I'm afraid of ... the agony of leaving him after a visit. I am a

soppy mare too! Many thanks.

Guest MontyClaude

There are at least 3 soppy mares here so.....I know I'll be bawling putting them on the plane and then leaving them when I visit. One of my dogs and one of my cats will be okay, they'll just get on with it, the other dog and cat will howl the place down - kinda highly strung! God love the people minding them after I've been to visit them :)

We came over with 2 dogs, 1 of which is quite highly strung but actually we both reckon she coped better with the flight and quarantine then our more laid back boy. We travelled 1.5hrs each way to visit our dogs twice a week and are glad we did so as they did appear to settle down. The first time we left them them in the quarantine station was hard but did get easier and we counted the days down. They were looked after well. We had a few grumbles with quarantine but not about the care given. And now, well they love their beach walks and appear to have settled in well.

Ian

Hi Sara,

we arrived in Perth 3 weeks ago, and my dogs(babies) are still in Spain (longer quarantine, so they cant fly here till end of august)...

We too have had many discussions about seeing them when they arrive... (with tears every time we even mention them!).. and we have decided that we will ring daily to enquire about them and employ the dog-walk services of a local company, as seeing them and having to leave them won't work for me...(think i'll end up camping outside the place!).. we also think it will be confusing for the dogs.. twice a week (if we can get the time off work too).. for 30 days.. that's 8 times we'd see and leave them.....so we are just going when we can bring them home...(then taking a few days off work to settle them in...

Hope this helps..

Shaz & John..

We spoke to our dogs carer at the quarantine station who said he advises owners to visit their dogs so they don't think you have forgotten them completely and for us i think it was the right thing to do. Leaving ours after the first visit we could hear our boy howl over all the other dogs and that was really hard but, seeing how excited they were each time we visited made it easier and they settled into a routine also. We would try to visit mon/ thurs, so every couple of days. For us not seeing them for 30days was harder than visiting where we could spend 2hrs playing, bonding, grooming and treating them. But ultimately you do wot's right for you!

There are at least 3 soppy mares here so.....I know I'll be bawling putting them on the plane and then leaving them when I visit. One of my dogs and one of my cats will be okay, they'll just get on with it, the other dog and cat will howl the place down - kinda highly strung! God love the people minding them after I've been to visit them :)

Quite agree, I will be a total mess! One of the transport companies told me they

didn't have problems with the animals, it's the owners that cause the trouble! Do hope

it all goes well for you - 30 days go very quickly.

We spoke to our dogs carer at the quarantine station who said he advises owners to visit their dogs so they don't think you have forgotten them completely and for us i think it was the right thing to do. Leaving ours after the first visit we could hear our boy howl over all the other dogs and that was really hard but, seeing how excited they were each time we visited made it easier and they settled into a routine also. We would try to visit mon/ thurs, so every couple of days. For us not seeing them for 30days was harder than visiting where we could spend 2hrs playing, bonding, grooming and treating them. But ultimately you do wot's right for you!

That's interesting ... I guess the carers at the quarantine kennels know

what's best. Thank you for that, very helpful.

Hi

Ian wife here,

Just wanted to add that the first time we saw our dogs it broke my heart, they looked so forlorn and were curled up together and appeared very depressed until they saw us, then then were so happy and yes it was incredibly hard keep leaving them but every time we say them they appeared happier and happier, it really perked them up and gave them something to look forward to, it was great on visiting days seeing them stood looking at the gate waiting for us.

i couldn't of bared the thought of them sitting like we first saw them for a whole 30 days

Claire x

Hi

Ian wife here,

Just wanted to add that the first time we saw our dogs it broke my heart, they looked so forlorn and were curled up together and appeared very depressed until they saw us, then then were so happy and yes it was incredibly hard keep leaving them but every time we say them they appeared happier and happier, it really perked them up and gave them something to look forward to, it was great on visiting days seeing them stood looking at the gate waiting for us.

i couldn't of bared the thought of them sitting like we first saw them for a whole 30 days

Claire x

Thank you ... that's helpful ... especially as your two had each other and still seemed

forlorn. I know it's going to be tough, but hopefully all worth it at the end of the dreaded 30 days!

Yes you can visit and walk your dog in the Byford quarantine in Perth. They have quite a big exercise area so you can allow your dog to run around and stretch his/her legs. Dont know about the other quarantine centres though. :biggrin:

Hi Sara,

we arrived in Perth 3 weeks ago, and my dogs(babies) are still in Spain (longer quarantine, so they cant fly here till end of august)...

We too have had many discussions about seeing them when they arrive... (with tears every time we even mention them!).. and we have decided that we will ring daily to enquire about them and employ the dog-walk services of a local company, as seeing them and having to leave them won't work for me...(think i'll end up camping outside the place!).. we also think it will be confusing for the dogs.. twice a week (if we can get the time off work too).. for 30 days.. that's 8 times we'd see and leave them.....so we are just going when we can bring them home...(then taking a few days off work to settle them in...

Hope this helps..

Shaz & John..

Oh shame - it must be awful having to wait for so long for your babies to join you!

It's really helpful hearing that other people are finding it all as emotional as I am -

thank you. It's good that yours have each other. I have contemplated getting a

sibling for my only child ... crazy or what! All the best and happy reunion - not too

long until the end of September. Thanks again. Sara

Guest MontyClaude
Oh shame - it must be awful having to wait for so long for your babies to join you!

It's really helpful hearing that other people are finding it all as emotional as I am -

thank you. It's good that yours have each other. I have contemplated getting a

sibling for my only child ... crazy or what! All the best and happy reunion - not too

long until the end of September. Thanks again. Sara

Ha ha, that's what I did and now have 2 cats and 2 dogs all that we got after we knew we were emigrating - must be mad!

It used to kill me to go to work and leave my retriever by himself so we got him a Bernese play mate :) Have to say it's the best thing I've ever done.

If I come home from work early and they're not expecting me they are playing in the back garden together, (they are inseparable) but as soon as they see me they pretened that I've abandoned them all day.

I'm sure you'll end up with another once you get to Oz!

What quarantine station are you going to?

Our dog is due to come out of quarantine in Sydney the day after tomorrow. We're down in Canberra and went to visit her twice in the first week so that she knew that we were still 'on the scene'. I did find it very difficult to leave her each time and she looked so desperate being on her own. Since then we arranged for http://www.dogwalks.com.au to go and visit her. They have been going 4 times a week, that's each Tuesday and Thursday, plus two scheduled exercise days and they post up pics on their website every time they visit. They spend time playing with them and they get proper 1-1 attention; its hard, I think, however you do it, but 4 visits a week is more than we could have managed, being 3 hours away. She's had as much attention as possible and I'm just counting down now until we go to collect her.

Ha ha, that's what I did and now have 2 cats and 2 dogs all that we got after we knew we were emigrating - must be mad!

It used to kill me to go to work and leave my retriever by himself so we got him a Bernese play mate :) Have to say it's the best thing I've ever done.

If I come home from work early and they're not expecting me they are playing in the back garden together, (they are inseparable) but as soon as they see me they pretened that I've abandoned them all day.

I'm sure you'll end up with another once you get to Oz!

What quarantine station are you going to?

Hi there

Your two sound very switched on!

We're going to Sydney quarantine kennels - December or January. Shaggy coat which needs stripping is complicating things - leaving freezing cold UK and arriving in mid summer in Oz ... just one more thing to decide!

Guest scottish mum

Hi Sara

I am going to have the same dilemma soon!! Our 4 babies are going to be in Quarantine and I have been debating will we go see them or not. I just can't bear to walk away and leave them. I was crying just talking about it. I think we will just go with phone calls to check on them. Drop off some toys etc... for them and hopefully have a peek when they cant see us but we can see them, just so we know they all made it ok....then spoil them rotten after their 30 days!!!

Hi Sara

I am going to have the same dilemma soon!! Our 4 babies are going to be in Quarantine and I have been debating will we go see them or not. I just can't bear to walk away and leave them. I was crying just talking about it. I think we will just go with phone calls to check on them. Drop off some toys etc... for them and hopefully have a peek when they cant see us but we can see them, just so we know they all made it ok....then spoil them rotten after their 30 days!!!

Hi there

It's a nightmare, isn't it? ! At least you have 4 babies who will have each other ... ?

I've just been looking at www.DogWalks.com.au which could make us feel better.

Do agree that phone calls are a good idea although I doubt whether they would tell

us that they are utterly miserable? Which quarantine kennels are you using?

I gather the Sydney ones are fairly inaccessible.

I guess we just need to concentrate on counting down the days until we can collect

them ... !

All the Best to you.

Guest MontyClaude
Hi there

It's a nightmare, isn't it? ! At least you have 4 babies who will have each other ... ?

I've just been looking at www.DogWalks.com.au which could make us feel better.

Do agree that phone calls are a good idea although I doubt whether they would tell

us that they are utterly miserable? Which quarantine kennels are you using?

I gather the Sydney ones are fairly inaccessible.

I guess we just need to concentrate on counting down the days until we can collect

them ... !

All the Best to you.

I'm trying to reschedule their flights now so that they only go a day or two before us and I can visit them fairly soon. I thought about the dog walking service, but I have 2 cats that I want to visit too. Also I don't think my Bernese would go with anyone else, it would be us that she'd want to see. My retriever on the other hand would go with anyone!

All depends on the dog I suppose.

Just wish it was all over and done with. I got their import permits back this morning so just need to finalise dates then sit and wait.

Guest MontyClaude
Hi Sara

Are you sending 4 dogs or dogs and cats?

We're sending 2 dogs and 2 cats, glad to see I'm not the only one that will need to starve for the next year to send 4!