Student Loans

Guest ed champ

Guest ed champ

Hi any one had any dealings with their student loans since they have gone to OZ as I quite like the idea of leaving for oz and not telling the student loans company :jiggy:

Does anyone know what the repayments are when you have left the uk

Know what you mean, tempting isn't it? Somehow I don't think we'd get away with it, I'd be interested to hear if anyone on here has just left without giving the student loan company a forwarding address.....I suppose problems might arise if you decided to come back to UK to work, this may trigger it all off again and may cause problems,

Bec x

Guest Susie_x_Chris
I'd be interested to hear if anyone on here has just left without giving the student loan company a forwarding address.....

A wise man once said....

"If at anytime you move abroad, you're expected to inform the student loans company so you can make repayments directly to it (usually by direct debit). Your repayments will be deducted in pounds sterling and you'd be responsible for any costs involved in converting the currency.

There are severe penalties if you don't tell the Student Loans Company, or chose not to repay by not providing them with information they request to be able to deduct repayments from your UK salary. These include tripling the normal rate of interest on your account, deducting repayments based on an income equal to twice the UK average earnings, and even demanding that you repay the total loan in one go…so beware!" Martin Lewis (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/student-loans-repay)

Straight from the horse's mouth: Overseas

The way I understand the student loan is, If you don't earn £15000 per year, your classed as low income and don't have to repay anything untill your earnings go over this. So, if you leave the country, your not earning £15000 per year as your not a British tax payer, so it stands to reason that as your not earning GB poounds your not liable. Make sence?

I have a close freind who went to Uni, ran up some student loans, but when she got her degree, her husband became ill and now she works part time and most of her time is spent as a carer. She hasn't paid a penny back and they have never asked her for any, as according to her tax record she doesn't earn enough.

I could be wrong, but hey, sod'em. When you come back, pretend your illegal and they'll give you every thing you want!!

Guest Sharmaine

Hi,

Having just gone through all of this with my daughter - I was tempted to not tell the student loans anything either. As I understand it all you need to do is give them your new address and tell them that you want and overseas payment order. The terms remain the same i.e. they don't deduct anything until you are earning over £15000 per year, so you can go to OZ go back to uni, work or whatever but until your earnings reach the equivalent of £15000 they don't deduct anything (that's what I was told by my daughters Uni). I also heard that after several years if you've never earned enough to pay them back they write the debt off but I think it's something like 20 years??? (this is hearsay)

Hi,

Having just gone through all of this with my daughter - I was tempted to not tell the student loans anything either. As I understand it all you need to do is give them your new address and tell them that you want and overseas payment order. The terms remain the same i.e. they don't deduct anything until you are earning over £15000 per year, so you can go to OZ go back to uni, work or whatever but until your earnings reach the equivalent of £15000 they don't deduct anything (that's what I was told by my daughters Uni). I also heard that after several years if you've never earned enough to pay them back they write the debt off but I think it's something like 20 years??? (this is hearsay)

Hello Ed

It's your right to defer your loan (but you do have to apply every year) if you dont earn enough to trigger the repayments. The terms and conditions of your loan will also tell you at what age you are eligible to have the loan written off if you have never earned enough.

If you havent kept them, the Student Loans Co will be able to send you a copy of the Terms and Conditions. I wouldn't disappear though, what if you came back to the UK to find no one wanted to lend you any money cos you hadnt paid you student loan?

It's just not worth it, IMHO. :no: Although the decision is yours to take , of course... Good luck whatever you decide.

Guest Sharmaine

:)I'll definitely do it by the book - it will bug me too much if I don't - I'll just look guilty all the time and wouldn't wan't anything to jeopardise my daughter should she wish to come back to the UK at any time.

hi

im emigrating with my family to melbourne in december and im due to start uni next year

i was wondering if you had any advise on how studnt finance works over there, whether most people live at uni like theydo here or commute from home, how maintenance and tuition loans work, anything realy

thanks lauren

Guest Sharmaine

Hi Lauren,

Sorry can't help either as in the process of gathering all this info. What I do know:

Any perm visas = 'local' fees i.e. you don't have to pay as an International Student

Fee Help = student finance - but not sure if you can get this as just a resident you may have to be a citizen

Commonwealth Supported Place - ???? bit of a grey area at the moment.

My advise is to get hold of the Admissions Administrator at the Uni you think you may want to go to and send an e-mail. That's what I did and so far they have been very helpful and I keep asking all sorts of questions.

Also the University that you wish to attend's own website might help.

Good Luck and if I find out anything else of use I will let you know.

hi

thanks thats pretty much all i know so far too the unis have been helpful and ive got a full fee paying place at melbourne but ive decided to apply through vtac for commonwealth supported place although im not sure whether i qualifiy? i no you can get fee help a loan for full fee paying but im not sure what happens with maintenance and living etc

xx

Archived