Migrating to Australia with Aussie Citizenship

Guest rawhite

Guest rawhite

Here is the story. I have Australian Citizenship by descent. My mother is an Aussie by birth and we both live in Canada. I was looking to migrate to Australia from Canada using my Australian Citizenship. Are there any issues in doing so? Is there any sort of government requirements I need to adhere to or anything of that sort?

I am asking because I am moving to Australia from a foriegn country with Australian Citizenship in hand having never EVER stepped foot in Australia before.

Anyone here know how I do just that and immigrate from Canada to Australia with Aussie Citizenship? Am I classified as a new immigrant or an Aussie national? Just wondering how that works.

Thank you.

- Richard

Guest rawhite

Alright thank you. The plan was to get over there and find a job and place to stay the moment I land on Australian soil. I figured there would not be any issues but after all it is "migration" and anything is possible.

Just be aware that you are not actually an Australian citizen unless your mum has registered you as one. This is different to UK where descendants have it automatically.

So you need to have been registered as an Australian citizen and then get your Australian passport.

Otherwise if you come on your canadian passport you will have visa issues to sort out.

Of course there are no issues once you are a citizen, you can live and work here.

If you enter Australia on an Australian passport, there is nothing more to do (apart from the few things I've listed below). You're an Australian citizen and that's that.

Register for Medicare as soon as you arrive, get a Tax File Number and open a bank account - the bank account will be easiest to do within the first 6 weeks after arrival.

http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessionals/content.aspx?doc=/content/64067.htm Tax File Number (TFN)

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/new-residents.jsp Enrolling in Medicare. Or you can call into a Medicare office - they're located all over the place.

As a new resident who has never lived in Australia before, you will have to serve out the new resident's waiting period (usually 2 years) before becoming eligible for some Centrelink benefits.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/factors/newly_arrived.htm Newly arrived resident's waiting period

If you have one, you will also need to get your overseas driving licence changed to an Australian one for the state in which you will be living within 3 months (6 months in Victoria) but you'll be able to do so without needing to take a test. If you don't have it changed over in time, you'll be driving unlicensed.

Archived