Visiting Australia in the winter

annagilda

Just wondering what your thoughts are on visiting Australia during the Aus winter?

It's going to be atleast 6 years until I can move over there, so I'm thinking about going for a month next year, if I can get the money together.

The only time I'll be able to get over for a month is July/August time, so just wondered what you thought?

I traveled Australia in their summer last year, and figured if I am going to live there, then I should see it during the winter also.

I'll be heading to (Hopefuly) Perth the. Adelaide, onto Melbourne and then Hopefuly a week in Tasmania. I know the winters there can be pretty full on, but surely not as bad as the UK/ Netherlands, that I'm used too? I mean 2 years ago I got frost bite in my feet, and nearly lost one of them it was soooo cold!

Any tips ideas or thoughts would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Anna. X

Guest SunshineSmile
Just wondering what your thoughts are on visiting Australia during the Aus winter?

It's going to be atleast 6 years until I can move over there, so I'm thinking about going for a month next year, if I can get the money together.

The only time I'll be able to get over for a month is July/August time, so just wondered what you thought?

I traveled Australia in their summer last year, and figured if I am going to live there, then I should see it during the winter also.

I'll be heading to (Hopefuly) Perth the. Adelaide, onto Melbourne and then Hopefuly a week in Tasmania. I know the winters there can be pretty full on, but surely not as bad as the UK/ Netherlands, that I'm used too? I mean 2 years ago I got frost bite in my feet, and nearly lost one of them it was soooo cold!

Any tips ideas or thoughts would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Anna. X

Hi Anna,

I live in Hobart, Tassie for the last 3 months and we are in Winter here right now. Granted its only the start of Winter but its very nice here compared to Winter at home (home being Ireland/UK). Its around 15-16 in the day, about 7 when Im going to work in the morning (around 7am) and it has been dropping to 3-4 during then night. The sun shines most days, even though its chilly, its beautiful.

Cant comment on the rest of Australia in Winter, but have heard some say its most pleasent as you dont have the extreme heat that most of Australia experiences in the Summer months.

Hope you manage a trip here next year :biggrin:

Steph

Guest DaneD

I've spent 2 winters in Melbourne and the weather was generally much milder than an English winter, you will see more of the sun too. I was talking with my girlfriend (who is in Melbs) the other day and it was warmer there than it was here in Manchester!

Winter in Perth is like a typical (i.e. bad) summer in the U.K. but with less hours of rain. You'll need a jacket but not the winter coat and thermals that a U.K. winter demands.

One disadvantage of holidaying in winter is that the days are shorter so there is less time to enjoy outdoor activities.

Whereabouts have you been hanging out in the Netherlands? I spent a year or two living in Delft.

I was over in Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney last year in July for a validation trip (read more here), and so got to experience the worst of the Antipodean winter.

Melbourne was the coldest, and the temperatures there were equivalent to the UK or Holland during a cool day in Spring. Adelaide and Sydney were both quite a bit warmer, in fact I went out camping with a couple of friends out towards Berri.

I reckon your chances of frostbite are pretty slim. They had the lowest temperatures on record in Melbourne last winter, and it plunged to 4 degrees Celsius. :biglaugh:

We visited Tassie last winter and it snowed.

While it doesn't tend to frost much on the mainland, evening/morning temperatures can be in single figures. It's not a problem, but you do need more than T-shirt/shorts in winter...

How much you feel the weather very much depends on the accomodation you'll be in. If you're in a well heated place, your core will be warm, so when you step outside you can cope easily with chilly weather. If you're in a badly insulated/heated place and you've been huddling under blankets on the couch and can't feel your toes, then the weather outside will feel much colder.

Guest siamsusie

We dont get snow where we are (where you were not so long ago):wink:

It mainly snows on....

Cradle Mountain,

Ben Lomond

Highland,

Over western Tasmania

Mount Wellington.

Our ski season is just beginning .. but on the River Tamar we enjoy reasonably good weather in the winter.

We still cook and eat outside during the winter, with a good fire going of course.

Susie x

I think, as you have already experienced an Aussie summer it would be good to come for a month in winter. I live in perth and we have had lots and lots of rain this last week or so which has been unusual and not unwelcome. Beach/pool life is not really viable at the moment (unless you are a mad surfie dude) but there are plenty of other things to do. Just be prepared for cold mornings and evenings and the day time temps are much the same as spring, even summer in the UK.

Archived