Social Work In Canberra

Guest grazer77

Guest grazer77

Hi I have recently been offered a post in Child Protection Team in Canberra, I have viewed some negative info on the team and the ACT in general can anyone give any further info before I accept??

Thanks

Well, the ACT is a nice place to live - expensive but pleasant. It has all the benefits of a big city whilst being the size of a big country town. We have social problems here, just like any other big city, hence the need for a child protection service (that surprises many, because the impression is of a nice middle class place).

As to whether you should turn down an offer or not, that really is up to you - can you do it "safely" just in case? ie rent out your house, take a career break, keep the kids' places in schools etc? One would hope that after the last two recruitment drives (not good outcomes from all accounts) the department might have addressed some of the issues that drove workers away the last couple of times, but who knows? That's a risk you take.

I am sure you have read all the threads on the subject on this forum - perhaps sending a personal message to some of those who have done it and got the t shirt might be an idea although I know that some have signed contracts which forbids them talking to people about their experiences!

Archived