A little confuzzled on schooling

Guest annerichard

Guest annerichard

Hi all,

Please can you tell me what is right and wrong. We are looking to relocate to Perth, we have two children Lauren (10) Jan 2001 and Ryan (7) Aug 2003. I posted a thread on here some time ago re getting my children into school and was told that you could not enrol your child until they have a fixed abode, however I have just seen a thread that said that all children have to be in school if they are over the age of 6.

I would really like to spend a couple of weeks with them to help them settle in before they have to go to school.

Any help on this matter would be great.

Thanks in advance

Anne x

Guest slain

hi , i would also be interested to read any replys, we are in the uk and i have also read children need to be in school, depending on the catchment area you live in is where you can send your child and need to submit an address or bill to prove, but also read about how to home school as an option. but the condition of my husbands student visa is that our daughter is enrolled and we pay for school in australia before the visa is given so really not sure how we can do that without an australia address yet ? confuzzled same here :)

Hi all,

Please can you tell me what is right and wrong. We are looking to relocate to Perth, we have two children Lauren (10) Jan 2001 and Ryan (7) Aug 2003. I posted a thread on here some time ago re getting my children into school and was told that you could not enrol your child until they have a fixed abode, however I have just seen a thread that said that all children have to be in school if they are over the age of 6.

I would really like to spend a couple of weeks with them to help them settle in before they have to go to school.

Any help on this matter would be great.

Thanks in advance

Anne x

Hi Anne ,

I'm not sure what visa you have , but im on a 176 and what i can gather , you do have to have an address for the schools ie rental etc because of school catchment areas .

We have a 11 yearold and we will be touring for a bit in western australia up to 3months before we settle anywhere .

I have seen alot of people here not enrol their children for a few weeks because they don't know where they will live or where they will rent a house .

The 6 yearold thing is when they chidlren start school .

Hope this helps

Brides x

Shouldnt think anyone would get their knickers in a knot if kids arent enrolled for a couple of months after arrival if you are in the throes of getting settled. As the others have said, evidence of a long term abode (ie not a hotel) is required because the school is obliged to service the needs of kids in its catchment area.

For international students AFAIK the catchment area thing isnt as important - you can apply for a school and if they have places they can take you but if they dont have places then they arent obliged to take you.

Archived