Where to start? Help Please

Taylors4

Hi, this is my 1st post so please be gentle!! Decided we want to move over, but where to start. OH is a bricklayer with an apprenticeship, City & Guilds Level 3, and an NVQ Level 3 in Site Management. Has been a bricklayer, foreman, site agent and at the moment has his own company. Due to the fact there is now no work in the UK, looking to move to Perth. We were there at Christmas and seemed to be work available.

The whole process though is a little daunting and seems very complex and don't really know where to start. We look as though we will be eligible for the 176 visa, as we have relatives in Perth who are willing sponsors (don't think we have enought points for the 175). Can anyone recommend an agent, as there seems to be hundreds of them!! Looking for the quickest way to get out there so any help would be greatly appreciated. Someone had mentioned Destination Oz, so will give them a call today. Also, am confussed as to getting skills assessed, Vetassess no longer assess Bricklayers, so who do now and what is AQF III and will he need it??

Really hope someone can help us to get the ball rolling. Many thanks in advance:biggrin:

I Deal in facts

Today is Wednesday

its 2011

and Vetasses do assess Bricklayers!!!!!

http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/assess_my_trade_skills.cfm

In regards to the visa type, well its all change on July 1st (allegedly!!!) and you can only get a family sponsorship to regional Oz (so not the main cities) so you should go for a state sponsorship, if all the other boxes can be ticked, i.e work exp wont be a problem. But he will have to do an IELTS test from July first. Have a look at the proposed changes below

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-fact.pdf

Not sure if you will make the deadline, the Vetasses turnaround will be a month+ at least,

As to the agents I cannot help you there as im a DIY'er

Good luck!!!

Thanks for that, sure I read it somewhere that they Vetassess were no longer assessing bricklayers, but as you say, it says so on the website. Regarding Vetassess, do you know where the assessment centres are, can't seem to find that info on the website. Will deffo miss the July deadline, so will have to look into the State Sponsorship as you mentioned.

Thanks again

Currently they are using the College of North West London, and will prob stay there for a while, but could change venue at any time. they fly their own staff over to do the tests.

You prob saw a pinned thread at the top of the migration page about vetassess, be careful not to believe everything you read on here, best to get a couple of opinions first!

Good Luck

Cheers for that, so before you actually apply for you visa you have the Vetassess done and your English proficiency test? Then you're ready to apply?

Thanks for your help on this one, always best asking someone who's going through the process so recently. Good luck with your assessment and application.

currently you dont need to do an IELTS test but from July 1st you will need to get at least a level 7, or 8 for even more points, you can get state sponsorship but jobs come off and on the lists all the time so do keep checking, also each state has diff requirements, my advice would be find out where you want to head (perth? WA) and do your Vetasses prior as this will have to be done what ever, and wait to see what July really holds!

Cheers JTC

Archived