Tax

roflie

Okay... I've asked this a few times and still getting ambiguous replies....

... basically i want to know how much tax i will pay on my earnings. I will be earning $77k and i'm going to Oz on a 457 sponsored visa for 4 years. I've read and discussed that i will be classed as a resident for tax purposes and therefore only pay 15% but then i'm told its a mixture of 15/30% and then it could all be 30% as i'm not a PR.....

...I've read a lot around this and (call me dumb!) still can't work out whats what.... Would just be nice to be able to budget....

..all help appreciated - thanks

Guest MontyClaude

thanks...

...That makes a total tax of ~ 23% which is somewhere between the two... i've seen some tables quoting $6k tax free then a certain percentage @ 15% and then the higher percentage @ 30% so i'm assuming thats what these calculations are based on...

...its a nightmare... its going to be fun and games when i get my first pay check thats for sure!! I can live with 23% tax as its less than 30%

Hi thanks a lot for this post. I am asking the same question and still getting no answers! I've tried the link above but am so confused by it all. I would be moving on approx $100k possibly with LAFHA - any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

James

2010 to 2011 Financial year Australia Personal Income Tax Rates:

$0 – $6,000 - Nil

$6,001 – $37,000 - 15c for each $1 over $6,000

$37,001 – $80,000 - $4,650 plus 30c for each $1 over $37,001

$80,001 – $180,000 - $17,550 plus 37c for each $1 over $80,000

$180,001 and over - $54,550 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

another different amount/answer....

...quick calcs on the above give me;

$31k @ 15% and a further $40k @ 30% which means a total tax of $16650 which would leave me $5029 per month which i know isn't a great deal off the above calculator.... guess the best thing is to budget for 30% tax and then everything else is a bonus... i think there will be something drastically wrong if i can't live on $77k salary (on my own).... plus there are salary packaging benefits i've heard about for public sector workers which will help!!

Guest MontyClaude

The above tax rates are just the rates, the calculator includes the levy but not medicare which is another 1.5%. Does the 77K include or exclude super? Either way depending on where you live, you should be fine!

Guest guest36187

The being a resident for tax purposes....that's right. I did that for eighteen months!!!

The above tax rates are just the rates, the calculator includes the levy but not medicare which is another 1.5%. Does the 77K include or exclude super? Either way depending on where you live, you should be fine!

Its $77k plus 9% super :biggrin: ... I'm looking at South East Melbourne.... Bentliegh, Glen Waverley, Elwood.. somewhere like taht as i'll be working in Moorabbin but don't want to be on works doorstep as i'd like to get a happy medium between there and the CBD

The being a resident for tax purposes....that's right. I did that for eighteen months!!!

Thats reassuring to know.... I guess it will save me a few $$ being able to tax myself as a resident... I've been trying to do the sums but in all fairness its impossible to know exactly until i get there and start earning...!

ok .... we came over on a 457 through my husband.... we both paid resident tax from the day we started work.... you will need to get hold of the tax office of your chosen state to get "TFN" which basically is your tax number for tax deductions and end of year tax etc. You need to get this ... your employer wont....

ok now this is not adding in your super ( pension) or medicare expense .... if you are earning $77k a year basic.... your take home wage if they paid you fortnightly would be $2961 which means you would pay $890. in tax a fortnight.

Archived