Fly out on my own then come back for family

MikeW

Hi,

It looks like I'll be flying to Canberra\Sydney in a month to start a new job in Canberra.

It looks like I'll be going out on my own for the first 4-6 weeks, secure a 6 month rental and then fly back to UK to pick up wife and 2 kids and fly out.

Our visas are 176 State Sponsored Perm Residency. None of us have validated our visas and I am the main applicant.

I'm aware some airline offer extra baggage when validating visa, would I be able to claim the extra baggage when my wife and children are going (and me with them), or as I will have already validated will I have used this up?

Has anyone else done it this way round and have any advice?

Many thanks,

Mike.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I have heard about this with Singapore airlines, cant you go on their site and ask them direct?

Best of luck and ................ enjoy the journey. lol

you can get it when you first enter Australia so you'd be able to have it when you first go and then the rest of your family when they go.

But it's always best to get the definite info direct from them as they'll confirm via email which you then have proof.

Howard

Guest ezzybee

My OH flew out 2 weeks before me. I flew on my own with 2 kids! 2 weeks doesn't seem worth it but we had no choice as our visa came and our UK wasn't ready to leave so I had to stay!

We were able to get an extra 5 kg from Singapore but we had to fight for it! Some people I have spoken to since getting here didn't even get that!

I actually went through carrying 27kg in the end and 10 in my hand language when I was only allowed 8!

Good Luck

Hi

I had an email confirmation from Singapore airlines today to confirm that if you have an unvalidated visa which says permanent or indefinite stay and you're on a one way ticket then they'll give double the usual baggage allowance. They responded within 24hrs to my emailed question, I wanted it in writing in case we got any hassle at check in!

Cheers

Gill

Hi

I had an email confirmation from Singapore airlines today to confirm that if you have an unvalidated visa which says permanent or indefinite stay and you're on a one way ticket then they'll give double the usual baggage allowance. They responded within 24hrs to my emailed question, I wanted it in writing in case we got any hassle at check in!

Cheers

Gill

Thanks for the advice. Surprised you have to fight for the extra 5 kg... Not good!

We have the email from Singapore airlines confirming 40kgs for our validation trip (you get 40kg even if it is not a one way trip, as long as the visa is unstamped), I have read that when the time comes for the one way flight people have emailed Singapore airlines and if they have already been given and used the 40kg allowance and their visa is stamped they have been given an extra 5kg (making 25kg) for their one way flight.

Archived