General Skilled Visa vs Family sponsored Visa Question....

Guest Jocky

Guest Jocky

Hi all,

I'm looking at emigrating to Oz and want to apply for permanent residency. My dilema is whether to go for a skilled visa or a family sponsored one.

I work in IT as a Network Security Engineer (which is of the skills shortage list) and have over 5 years experience in this area.

I also have a sister that could sponsor me as she is married to an Aussie and lives over there as a Permanent Resident in Melbourne.

I think I have the points to do it either way, so the question really is which would be easier / quicker?

An important factor is that I (and my wife) would want to live and work in Sydney, whilst my sister lives in Melbourne. Do you have to live in the same City / State as the person who sponsors your Visa (if you go down that road?)

As I said, I would prefer to do the application myself rather than pay for an agency.

Many thanks in advance,

Jocky

Hi Jocky

Just looked into this (in Oz but applying as offshore).

Family sponsored is much quicker, 4-6 months and the agency I spoke with said there are less people applying, therefore, less competition. However, you need to get your application in before 1st July if you are applying for subclass 139 as they are possibly making it a temporary visa after July.

If you go through the 138 route, it still takes 12-15 months for approval. Also, you don't need to get involved in the points system, although, you will have to submit a bond for two years.

General route is longer 12-15 months and you are at the mercy of the ever changing points system. However, your skill is likely to remain on the hot list for the forseeable future.

Hope this helps.

Pj

Guest choobs
Hi Jocky

If you go through the 138 route, it still takes 12-15 months for approval. Also, you don't need to get involved in the points system, although, you will have to submit a bond for two years.

Pj

I'd debate that bit - we're applying under the class 138 route and it takes six months for MODL and nine months for non-MODL - unless, of course, you mean 12-15 months from first contact through skills assessment to approval.

Cheers

Choobs

Guest lholmes

Hi Jocky

Rumor has it that you will also be required to live in the same state as your sponsor should you go down that subclass. It is yet to be officially confirmed, however they did release a statement relating to the likelihood of this change occurring.

If you qualify for the 136 visa, you should take advantage of this option. If you do need to wait an extra few months, it may be worth it in the long run.

You will not be at the mercy of the points system as once your application is lodged, your age and eligibility 'freezes' so to speak. This means that even if they take your skill off the list, you are safe from the change.

It’s difficult to advise you without having all the facts in front of me though so even if you are not interested in using an agent, you should take advantage of as many free consultations as possible. This will allow you to gain an accurate objective on your case, requirements and discover the best option for you.

Good luck!

Guest Jocky

Thanks Guys,

I think I'll try and get a skills assessment done on my Network Security under ASCO 2231-79 as it appears on the MODL list. If that works out then I'll go down the points road, but if not, then I'll try the sponsored option.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Thanks again,

Jocky

Guest stevenglish

I applied for a sponsorship deal in late march, if successful I'll be starting in Sydney in August. It's kind of taken my breath away a bit, and I almost feel I'm being rushed & don't know if I'm gonna find the time to sort out my affairs in the UK. Personally I'd say that has to be pretty much the only draw back to sponsorship. Come on you Socceroos!

Good luck

• 1 year later...
Guest mrsjjm

hi i was just wondering if u cud tell me the name of the agency?because we to r looking 4 sponsership!oh is a mechanical fitter!thank so much jo

• 3 years later...
Guest mekman123

Hi all, i have been sponsored by a company in perth on a 457 visa and signed a contract of employment, my problem is i cant get a copy of my city & guilds cert, i didnt see the original in 20 years i passed out in 1979 and the college i attended has long since closed down also the code for my cert has changed from 620/2 construction plant maintenance to 6313-16 advanced construction plant maintenance, i have great references from previous employers but will this be enough, i would be very grateful for any advise thanks

Archived