Buying the basics

MazPaul

Hi we are coming out to Melbourne in the next few weeks and i know i have seen threads on here telling people where they can buy cheap kettles and toasters and pans etc.Just to put us on until our container arrives.Also any places to buy beds from.All links very welcome,thanks.

Paul.:chatterbox:

Fantastic Furniture, Sydneys, Captn Snooze, Myer, also Gumtree for second hand furniture.

http://www.appliancesonline.com.au for washing machines, fridges, etc.

There are also on line sites for beds but I believe one needs to see the mattress.

http://www.sydneys.com.au/

Cheap jugs, kettels and such like can often be picked up in Aldi, Coles or Woolworths Supermarkets.

Guest Louey

We used K-mart and Big W for kettles, toasters and stuff. We made a list and then visited both stores to price compare. We found K-mart was cheapest for the majority of stuff.

I too think Big W and K-Mart are great for cheap and cheerful kitchen equipment. Target has some good stuff at a reasonable price too.

If your arent too fussy about second hand the Op shops can be good for pots,pans, cutlery,cups etc.

Lots of luck with the move

Cal x

For beds ikea (theres one in richmond) beats the others hands down. we needed one before christmas and paid $300 for a wooden framed double with a sprung mattress and mattress pad. I'd say kmart (I think its the home range) for fridges crockery etc or Aldi's they've usually got that kind of stuff in, However if you want more 'decent' stuff try getting it all at one place like harvey normans and barter them down.

Mindst you you'll probably not need a fridge with the temperatures here at the minute its brass monkeys (how quick we acclimatise)

As we bought everything here a good trick is to have a look around and if you are goign to buy a lot of stuff from them then ask to speak to the manager. Say you have just emigrated and ask if you buy a lot of stuff would they give you a good deal. We bought most of our pots n pans and bedding (strangley called "Manchester here") from Harris Scarfe in Highpoint Shopping Centre Marybynong and got 10% off everything and a free vacuum cleaner.

They also do layby where you pay a deposit and they put it back for you. this was very handy as we didnt have a car at the time so bought everything and then picked the stuff up when we hired a van a week later.

A warning about IKEA as some of the things - some sofas have to be ordered and delivered from another warehouse - theres none in the store and you have to pay an extra $50 for delivery so despite hiring a van we couldnt get the main thing we wanted on the day!

For electricals - TVs washing machines etc - big firms charge for delivery - sometimes $50 for each thing (Good Guys) so we had to get a van whcih was cheaper but again at JB HI fi we got a good discount after asking for one for buying the TVs, DVD player etc.

Beds are incredibly expensive - though probably good quality so we got our from IKEA.

Harvey Norman is also a rip off - unless there is a very good deal but I boycott them as the owner says "its un Australian to buy stuff from overseas on the internet" and that people should pay higher prices to "protect jobs"...ie, his outrageous profits.

I agree about Ikea .. the delivery frm Kings is excellent and very reasonably priced. We got all of our beds / sofas etc from there .. not sure what sofas aren't available to take away the dsame day but wasn't a problem for us. They even offer a service for someone to build them for you too if you can;'t be bothered and have the extra cash.

K-Mart was the best for other things .. i much prefer them over Target & Big W .. and we found most things were cheaper there too, really wasn't worth trailing about comparing prices.

Electrical Appliances online were EXCELLENT .. we got our fridge, freezer, microwave, washing machine from there. 2 day wait for delivery .. installation and delivery free, and a guaranteed 2 hour delivery slot. The fact it was much cheaper than anywhere instore was a bonus.

That said i also found The Good Guys to be pretty good if you want somethign there and then. We have bought quite a few things from them (TV, PS3, Vaccuum etc)

Good luck :)

SuperAmart in Nunawading (think there may also be a new one in Campbelfield) is the cheapest place aropund for just about any furniture, be it beds, dressers, suites, dining etc. Cheaper by quite a bit against Ikea. Check that they have store availability of anything you like before commiting to buy though as they like to quote four to six weeks delivery before it's even left the field in Vietnam where it is being made.:mask:

There are a lot of us in a similar position that are making the move to Melbourne with the work, who have agreed to cover the costs of the first 5 weeks accommodation (Quest Sanctuary Lakes), then after that it's everyone for themselves. Been looking at short-term furnished rentals in the city, but they're not cheap and at the moment trying to look at what we'll need whilst waiting for our container and the associated cost and then whether it is cost effective to just buy cheap and cheerfull and get our long-term rental sorted or go with furnished rental for a month or so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Hippo

Archived