Hopefully moving to TAS reccie to Melbourne

Gethsemene

Hi again, been a while as everything on the back burner whilst I took equivalency exams in UK, but now passed them and have the away leg in Melbourne next month. I have booked enough time that I have a week post exams so possibly looking at visiting my desired final destination of Hobart for a few days post exams.

So what I would like some help with is;

1) Where to stay in Melbourne, have always preferred B+B's, but harder to find from outside the destination country so either B+B or hotel is cool, exams adjacent to the university.

2) What to do whilst not studying in Melbourne, what to see where to eat and how to get a feel of Aussie life. Am sports mad so any suggestions along those lines would be cool.

3) How reliable are the flights from MEL to TAS with the smaller operators or should I stick to virgin blue, or perhaps the ferry whats that like?

4) Where should I stay in Tassie, probably out there for approx 4 days so small reccie, but would ideally like to get a feel for the place.

Finally is there anything else you guys think I should do whilst over here to convince me that the aussie life is for me?? Dates are from 17th June (land in MEL) to 5th of july (depart mel) with exams from tues 21st to wed 29th.

Many thanks in advance

Ben

Guest siamsusie

Hi Ben,

A big welcome.

I cant answer your questions regarding Melbourne, but yes the flights from Melbourne to Tasmania are efficient and frequent.

The small carriers are fine in my opinion for the days out where punctuality isnt too important lol but the larger carriers are great.

The boat docks in Devonport just up the road from me.. The Spirit of Tasmania is a good ship, can be a bit costly in season but I have no hesitation in recommending it. The cabins are usually with en suites and clean. You will be requiring a car from this end to reach Hobart though.

I will find a few links later for you accomodation wise in Hobart, what are you requiring motels, or short stay apartment?

I dont know what your budget is but here is a link http://www.budgetstay.com.au/hobart.php

and Motels are also reasonably priced.

http://www.centralcityhobart.com/

We have some members in Hobart who will be delighted to help you also, see our Tasmania thread.

Just shout if I can help you further.

Best wishes

Susie x

Hi again, been a while as everything on the back burner whilst I took equivalency exams in UK, but now passed them and have the away leg in Melbourne next month. I have booked enough time that I have a week post exams so possibly looking at visiting my desired final destination of Hobart for a few days post exams.

So what I would like some help with is;

1) Where to stay in Melbourne, have always preferred B+B's, but harder to find from outside the destination country so either B+B or hotel is cool, exams adjacent to the university.

2) What to do whilst not studying in Melbourne, what to see where to eat and how to get a feel of Aussie life. Am sports mad so any suggestions along those lines would be cool.

3) How reliable are the flights from MEL to TAS with the smaller operators or should I stick to virgin blue, or perhaps the ferry whats that like?

4) Where should I stay in Tassie, probably out there for approx 4 days so small reccie, but would ideally like to get a feel for the place.

Finally is there anything else you guys think I should do whilst over here to convince me that the aussie life is for me?? Dates are from 17th June (land in MEL) to 5th of july (depart mel) with exams from tues 21st to wed 29th.

Many thanks in advance

Ben

Hi Ben

Melbourne is certainly the place to be for the sports fan. Your dates don't coincide with the F1GP, Test matches, Australian Open Tennis, Soccer season, Basketball season etc, but there should still be plenty to do for the sports fan. You could take in an AFL game at the MCG (Collingwood's the only team to watch:wink:), Rugby League - Melbourne Storm at the new aami stadium, Rugby Union - Melbourne Rebels (with the added UK interest of Danny Cipriani playing for them (when he's not suspended))

Archived