Help - First Time Car Buyer

supermatt

Hi all,

So my partner and I moved out to Sydney 2 months ago and am looking at buying a car. But, the only time I've ever been a car owner in my life is when I bought an old Fiat for my last couple of years at Uni and paid cash for it... Apart from that I've used hire cars and public transport all the way.

Anyway, we'd like to buy a car as I think it'll make life easier, but have no idea where to start. Where can I compare prices, how do I decide between new vs second hand and how do I finance buying a car (I can't afford to buy one outright).

Does anyone have any useful advice for me?

I guess I'd like to see if I can get something decent for around the $10,000 mark.

:) Matt

Guest Rachel Emma

We bought a 5 yr old car from Graywill Ford...... I believe many offer finance deals , they also arranged decent insurance cover at a five yr no claims dicount:) their staff were fantastic and genuine, we did try a few used car dealer's first but felt that we needed a newer car with less mileage on the clock, which we didnt seem to find elsewhere, we did a local search of the area we lived in online before viewing the car we bought....and many car dealer's are of the main roads right next to the bigger named dealers.... Trust your gut instincts.....we love our lil motor and it drives like a dream to Sydney!!!

Guest vulcan2509

Start with carpoint.com.au or carsales.com.au. This will give you an idea of what you can get for your money. If you want to sit in a few cars take a trip up to Parramatta Rd. Car yards start at about where Canterbury Rd meets Parramatta Rd however I would start at Suttons Holden Homebush 112 Parramatta Rd. Most of the car yards are from there onwards and go all the way up to Church St. I would suggest if you can get someone to drive you or you can borrow a car I would do so. If you look at the map you will see it's a hell of a distance. As for finance, most car yards will offer finance but be careful they usually have crazy interest rates, I suggest go to your bank and get pre approved.

Good luck

Archived