176 visa disappointment - what next?

We've just found out our skilled state sponsored migration for Vic has been declined, so need to look at options.

Does anyone know how long a 176 might take for NSW or a sense on how long a skilled 175 might take if we go down this route?

Thanks.

Hi, no reason given, just generic reply. We are a bit confused as the key requirements we meet for accountants and even work for an Australian company so can't understand the reasons behind the decision. We will just keep trying, but had set our hearts on Victoria, so clearly upset.

Guest Phillips family
Hi, no reason given, just generic reply. We are a bit confused as the key requirements we meet for accountants and even work for an Australian company so can't understand the reasons behind the decision. We will just keep trying, but had set our hearts on Victoria, so clearly upset.

that is soo odd they have not given you a reason I would give them a call. We had our SA SS declined first time reason not enough employment research & lack of funds (we filled out the form wrong). We reapplied a month later sending all the e-mails husband had applied for & did a search on "seek" for his occupation & printed off a 2 page list showing there was plenty of jobs in area..& was approved... find that bizzare not given a reason..now wonder you're upset. Let us know which avenue you are going to go down.

Hi, thanks for the note. I've just sent an email about this to our agent as I've just looked at the requirements again for Victoria again and we more than meet their requirements. They are looking for multinational work experience and my wife (applicant) has worked for one of the biggest banks in America, a large European company and now an Australian company, so you can't get much more multi national than that.

I welcome the comments about printing off job specs etc and will look at this. I've also asked our agent about providing comments from recruitment companies in Melbourne about employability which may or may not help.

We are both really upset especially as we were in Victoria looking at areas where we'd like to live in February. It's just now makes that feel like a waste of time.

I will stop there, but again thanks for your comments and I'm sure we'll get there.

• 1 month later...
Guest MontyClaude

Sorry to hear your bad news, just wondering what made you apply for 176 instead of 175? I'm an accountant and got my 175 in just under 6 months, that was when we were on the CSL though so I might be out of date. Good luck with whichever route you choose.

Guest AustrAnglian

Hi, I'm an accountant and got my NSW SS within about 5 weeks of applying in Sept/Oct last year. Hope that helps and all the best with your app.

Guest MontyClaude

Hey AustrAnglian, do you have a job lined up? We were there a few years ago and I got a job in Sydney and Melbourne within a day but I don't think it's quite that easy now. My OH works in sales and will hopefully have something sorted before we go, we're planning on going to Melbourne and I thought I might pick up some temp work while I look for perm but starting to panic now!

Guest AustrAnglian
Hey AustrAnglian, do you have a job lined up? We were there a few years ago and I got a job in Sydney and Melbourne within a day but I don't think it's quite that easy now. My OH works in sales and will hopefully have something sorted before we go, we're planning on going to Melbourne and I thought I might pick up some temp work while I look for perm but starting to panic now!

Hi MontyClaude, I've been working on my employer for a transfer to their Sydney office. They've just persuaded me to first do one last expat posting in a location I can't turn down, so hope to get to NSW after that. I'm not sure what the job market is like in Sydney at the moment TBH - just trying to get the visa has proven enough of a challenge so far! Hope it all works out for you.

Guest JenWalford

Hi, have you looked at getting a 457 visa? This is a work sponsored visa which means you have to secure employment before you get here. If you can do this, you will be here in 6 weeks. We came in that way and it was so easy, it gives you 4 years here but after 2 years we applied for residency and it was all done in 3 months. My neighbour is an immigration agent and she has said that australia has clamped down on certain professions and some are not even been looked at before applicants within Australia have been worked on and given PR status. Also, I know you dont want to live here in Western Australia but at present, WA is on a huge recruitment drive to get 35 000 skilled migrants into Australia due to the minning boom - you could always contact the large mines here, secure a position and just grin and bear WA until your PR comes through...just a suggestion

I recently applied for NSW Sponsorship under Management Accountant. They acknowledged receipt of the application on the 10th May, and I received approval on the 13th May just 3 days later. The application was very straight forward to do once I got may documents together.

Thanks

Archived