Removals, Containers

Guest Missiemo

Guest Missiemo

Hi can anybody out there tell me the average cost I can expect to pay for a container, and who you would recommend.

Thanks

Mo

:?:

Guest Boomer

Pickfords quoted me £4,300 for 20 foot container and £5,800 for a 40 foot.

I am waiting for a price off Anglo Pacific.

Bloody expensive basically

Boomer

Guest Missiemo

Thanks for the information Boomer, I guess SCoop has the right idea, abandon all goods and start a fresh.

We have since had a quote from Anglo Pacfic and they quote 2700.00 for a shared 20ft container if that helps any of you out there, I also find Excess Baggage quite helpful, quoting 2500.00 for shared.

Take care Ozzie fans, think I am going mad with the worry of having all sorted by June 19th but sure I will be back on track when we get there.

Bye

Missiemo

Guest Missiemo

Dear Loz

Thankyou so much for your tip, we were about to book them, that has helped our decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where abouts are you in melbourne, we are flying there on the 19/06/06

Best regards

Missiemo

Hiya Missiemo

We are on the east side about 30mins by train outside the city. Been here 5 months now and settling well.

We had few problems with Anglo Pathetic - sent the wrong container, overquoted for the amount of boxes we needed and would not give us a refund. Then at this end, communication was terrible - no info unless YOU phone them and even then the receptionist with her "go away I cant be bothered with you " attitude really got up my nose. The only good thing I have to say about them is the packers and unpackers were excellent - very efficient but thats all I can say good about them. The only quick and efficient thing the company does is take your money - oh no delay in that !!!!!

Not long now till you fly. If there is anything else i can help you with, let me know - feel free to PM me if you wish

Take care

Loz

Hi All, does anyone know roughly how big a container would have to be to fit the contents of an average 3 bed semi, if we weren't starting fresh and selling much? Thanks Beki

BEKI

would you really want to take everything? i was looking at a good site the other night in which the estimation form allowed you to go round each room in your house and calculate the number of boxes you'd need ,i found this much easier the BUT is i cant remember the site,(i blame the kids !!) ,maybe someone reading this can help me out ,i have a feeling it may have been 'excess baggage',,

Cal x

Hi All,

We have devised a list of all the things we will be taking as Cal suggests and have found we have had far cheaper quotes, than going off the size of the container. This way you will not be paying for space that you don't use. We have had quotes from some of the bigger companys such as Anglo Pacific ( which we won't be using now) and crown which are cheaper and seem to offer a good service. Has anybody used Crown? I would also suggest that if you get a quote from one company and it is more expensive than another quote you have had, go back and tell them. We have done this and have managed to bring down the quotes considerably.

Anita

Thanks Cal, found the site, it was excess baggage. Did what you suggested and was ruthless with what to take. My hubby used to work for a removal company in Sydney, he quite enjoyed knowing how many Tea Cases to estimate! We've submitted the info and are just waiting for a quote. Will let you know when they get back to us.

Regards, Beki

PS We heard from our Agent that they received our Application on 11th April, will put a post in on news and gossip :D:D:D

Guest mickroo

Hi All

Dont just rely on the on line or postal quotes, get the rep's round to your house and get more accurate quotes. You can ask all those questions you must have to the guy from the shipping company and get the answers straight away.

Regards

Mickroo

Guest BrerRabbit

Hi everyone - we've been in sydney for 2 months now and used a 20foot container to move our stuff over. it arrived on time and no breakages so all was well there. BUT the firm we used under estimated our belongings and once it was all packed up and ready to go in the container, the guys asked us to prioritise what to put in as there wasn't enough room! :?

We left: garden table and chairs, mountain bike, stepper machine, 2 boxes of kids toys, garden slide, 2 medium sixed wall pictures, wicker sun lounger, the list goes on , can't remember it all now! We were pretty gutted because the guy that visited the house told us there was plenty of room and not to worry - we had an average sixed 3 bed detached house with garage. Once the container had left and the removal firm had gone, we found 2 boxes in our youngest daughters bedroom that they'd not packed - full of lots of her christmas presents!! We then had to offer things for sale to neighbours who must have took pity on us and we sold most of it - the toys went to my Mum who'll bring as much with her when she visits. We cried over this - don't let it happen to you - emigrating is stressfull enough without leaving things behind that you weren't prepared for.

by the way the container cost 4010 pounds (no pound sign on this keyboard!) and we've not had a reply to our complaint tot he removal firm. In Australia, the removal firm here were very professional. They emptied the uk container for customs to check it, then reload into one of thier own to deliver it the house here - they used a 20 foot continer aswell - but it was higher than ours and everything did fit in easily! If only we'd known there were different size 20 foot containers! :roll:

Guest BrerRabbit

Hi Dazz

yes the move has definatley been worth it but it was pretty stressful leaving stuff behind and I still get tetchy thinking about it! We used Steeles Removals from Barrow in Furness in Cumbria - you're not likely to use them in Bedfordshire. I used to live in Luton by the way! :lol:

Guest scott&lisa

Hi

After three quotes we decided to use Crown Relocations. They seemed the most professional and were the most reasonable in price. The other good thing about them is unlike the other companies, it is Crown Relocations who look after your shipment in Australia too and deliver everything to your new address. They also help with temporary accommodation and have a home search program.

We were quoted £2100 for a 20ft container (shared) + ins + import tax etc.

We haven't yet moved to Oz, so can only say that they've been great so far!!

Scott.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The Hunter

Hi all,

to be honest I would stay away from Pickfords (Spitfords), they do not even send an estimator for domestic quotes, I have had the unfortunate displeasure of having to use them, I have to say Britannia have a first class service, they were very good. I would advise any one to get a quote from them.

Guest Nelson

Hi Missiemo, we had a load of people round and decided to use John Mason (http://www.johnmason.com). They quoted £3,700 to include packing service here, transport, all packing materials (in our case including special hand made box for the piano) customs fees, storage in Aus, delivery anywhere within 30 mile radius of Melbourne and unpacking and removal of packaging. The guy was super-duper helpful and they get my vote so far...

Guest Missiemo
Hi Missiemo, we had a load of people round and decided to use John Mason (http://www.johnmason.com). They quoted £3,700 to include packing service here, transport, all packing materials (in our case including special hand made box for the piano) customs fees, storage in Aus, delivery anywhere within 30 mile radius of Melbourne and unpacking and removal of packaging. The guy was super-duper helpful and they get my vote so far...

Hi hun

We decided to use Excess Baggage, we are not taking everything so have gone for a shared contanier, that cost us £2500.00, which also covers four men to pack the house, packing material, shipping costs delivery to OZ and unpack, quite pleased with that, your quote also said very resonable.

Well Done, when do you think you will looking at going

Mo

I have sent you a PM

x

• 1 year later...
Guest Raphkat

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me out.

which removal company did you use and do you have their number, please

thanks

Kat

Guest Raphkat

Hi

Can you send me the name of the removal firm you used as it doesnt show up on here can you send it as a private message,

thanks

Kat

Archived