Temporary Visa (subclass 461)

Guest PocketMamma

Guest PocketMamma

Has anyone entered Australia on this visa before they received the visa document? By this I mean - has anyone entered as soon as they were notified by phone that their application was approved?

I've been here since mid December and my partner has submitted his 461 application yesterday (would've applied sooner but the Irish passport agency have taken 5 months to renew his passport!). He will find out next week as to whether it's been approved but it will take another 2-3 weeks before it's fully processed. Ideally though he'd like to get on a plane as soon as he gets the call rather than wait another 3 weeks.

For anyone about to say - what's another 3 weeks....we have a daughter who was 5 months old when we left the UK and everyday he misses counts. Plus I'm pregnant again and would love for him to to be there for the 20 week scan at the end of the month.

Guest PocketMamma
I don't follow the query - a visa is not granted until it has been "fully processed."

In any event, check with the processing centre that is handling the application whether the visa can be granted on a label free basis.

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply - it's all a bit confusing and this visa is a bit odd as it's to pretty much cover the problem NZ citizens have who want to live in Australia with their non-NZ family members (after 2001 - before that the were granted permanent residency).

With the 461 you get a phone call around 5 days after application to let you know whether your application has been approved. You then get a Visa Approval document a few weeks later. I know this as this is what happended when my daughters 461 was granted. The reason for the question was I noticed this on the DIAC website regarding location of the applicant:

If you lodge your application outside Australia, you must be outside Australia at the time that a decision is made on your visa application.

So I've assumed this means when you get the call - and then from then on you can enter Australia as the visa is electronically stored on your passport. I've emailed the Migration Branch of the High Commission to get clarification but was just wondering if anyone else had been in similar circumstances.

Archived