Furnished renting in melbourne

Guest Revs30

Guest Guest31881
Sorry totally different subject but how hard is it to get a rental in australia with a dog or two? our dogs are pretty old so we're not sure if theyl both be here when we decide to come over but just wanted to find out. We find it quite hard to find places over here because theyre staffies and theres a lot of people in our part of scotland that dont like them because of several news articles, theyre very well behaved :biggrin:

Hi,

It is can be harder to secure rentals with pets, Some members offer to pay a pet "Bond" that will convince the agents that you will look after the house. Most will insist on you having the house Sprayed for flea's when you leave. some things you could try would be, Offer to pay 3 or 6 months rent up front. Agents like to know the renter can pay and may overlook things like pets if they are convinced you are a good customer. Some have offered to pay extra on their rent as an inducement to secure a rental. You can just be lucky and get a good owner who loves pets.

A lot of members bring their pets and secure rentals

Guest The Pom Queen
Totally agree, if we have to stay in hotel accommodation for a month then I'm looking at $4k. don't want to spend anymore than that!

If anybody has any ideas then let me know as trying to find hotels for that price for a family of 4 (2 toddlers) isnt that easy it looks like

Where do you need to be for the first few weeks? $2k is still a lot for 14 nights. You could have a word with Paul he has a rental in Monbulk which would fit you all in and it would be approx $800 for the fortnight. You would probably need a car but then unless you are staying in the city you will need a car anyway. There is also a 2 bed rental in Highett just round the corner from the main street across from the train station) that would be $1600. I can find you a hire car for $383 for the 2 weeks so that's $191 a week. So if you went with Pauls for a rental and a car you would be looking at a total of around $1183.

Now don't worry as I don't get anything out of this so don't think I am trying to push you in to anything lol. Just that hotels are very expensive. :hug::wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen
Sorry totally different subject but how hard is it to get a rental in australia with a dog or two? our dogs are pretty old so we're not sure if theyl both be here when we decide to come over but just wanted to find out. We find it quite hard to find places over here because theyre staffies and theres a lot of people in our part of scotland that dont like them because of several news articles, theyre very well behaved :biggrin:

Staffies are loved over here so please don't worry about that:biggrin:

Is it Melbourne you are looking at? If so you would struggle in the city but would be fine in the burbs, however, most Australians keep their dogs outside so this may be something the landlord stipulates.

Guest Revs30
Where do you need to be for the first few weeks? $2k is still a lot for 14 nights. You could have a word with Paul he has a rental in Monbulk which would fit you all in and it would be approx $800 for the fortnight. You would probably need a car but then unless you are staying in the city you will need a car anyway. There is also a 2 bed rental in Highett just round the corner from the main street across from the train station) that would be $1600. I can find you a hire car for $383 for the 2 weeks so that's $191 a week. So if you went with Pauls for a rental and a car you would be looking at a total of around $1183.

Now don't worry as I don't get anything out of this so don't think I am trying to push you in to anything lol. Just that hotels are very expensive. :hug::wubclub:

Unfortunately that is miles away from where we need to be. My wifes work is based at Preston so need something local to there.

Hi there,

We arent sure where we would be going yet, wouldnt be moving for at least another year or two as we dont have enough savings yet so just doing some research at the moment! :biggrin: So are most landlords likely to say we have to keep our dogs outside? thats not really a option for us so that would be a big decision about wether we would bring them, to be honest theyre getting old so im not sure they will be :cry:

Theres so much info to take in about emmigrating, my heads frazzled! lol:wideeyed:

SOL,,,

The first mistake you are making is comparing things to London,, Australia isnt the UK ,dialect, prices, food and weather are all very different here.

If you continue to compare things to London then i wouldnt hold out much hope for a succesful relocation TBH.

Cal x

Without a doubt, and don’t worry I did a stint living in Sydney 5 years ago so it won’t be a culture shock, albeit times were easier back in the heady days of long blonde hair and house shares and a care free world so didn’t need to concern myself as much with rental prices. But the “wow isn’t it expensive in the supermarkets here” and “wow isn’t alcohol expensive here” have all been and passed, no surprises in store for me on that score. Interestingly referencing London, I don’t know how many people have seen the BBC programme “Wanted Down Under”, but it’s always the one’s that come from the north of England or Wales or Scotland that are shocked by the prices in Aus and that they can’t get a 5 bed house with a swimming pool which makes me laugh no end, but I think living in London means being already used to a high cost of living, and therefore that there won’t be any surprises in that sense, or certainly a lot less. Very interesting how Melbourne or Aus in general isn’t geared up for an affordable furnished rentals market though, it takes it back to the days in the UK when furnished used to mean a higher rental than unfurnished. These days there’s no difference so perhaps Aus will catch up one day. I see a niche in the market there for some savvy person!

• 3 weeks later...
Without a doubt, and don’t worry I did a stint living in Sydney 5 years ago so it won’t be a culture shock, albeit times were easier back in the heady days of long blonde hair and house shares and a care free world so didn’t need to concern myself as much with rental prices. But the “wow isn’t it expensive in the supermarkets here” and “wow isn’t alcohol expensive here” have all been and passed, no surprises in store for me on that score. Interestingly referencing London, I don’t know how many people have seen the BBC programme “Wanted Down Under”, but it’s always the one’s that come from the north of England or Wales or Scotland that are shocked by the prices in Aus and that they can’t get a 5 bed house with a swimming pool which makes me laugh no end, but I think living in London means being already used to a high cost of living, and therefore that there won’t be any surprises in that sense, or certainly a lot less. Very interesting how Melbourne or Aus in general isn’t geared up for an affordable furnished rentals market though, it takes it back to the days in the UK when furnished used to mean a higher rental than unfurnished. These days there’s no difference so perhaps Aus will catch up one day. I see a niche in the market there for some savvy person!

I've got to say I can't see why some people have a problem with the comparison to London or wherever a particular comes from. Surely it is the only point of reference one has and as such it's to be expected!! I have lived 19 years in the UK and 19 years in Aus and am always comparing the two financially, culturally and any other way..!

On the subject of furnished rentals my family and I have been 'stunned' by the price people are charging. This isn't a 'dig' at any of the landlords on the site as the market will always find its own level. We have paid just over $3k for 33 nights in Mooroolbark and the property is AWFUL!!! My wife was in near tears for the first week.

I am a landlord in the UK and once I take the plunge and sell a few properties and convert the funds......furnished rentals will be my first stop. Nothing fancy but clean and tidy.

The furniture in our current rental is well past its best and the list of problems is depressingly long. As for the cleaning, or lack of it.....!!

We're currently looking at securing a long term rental and again....we have seen some sh*te that I would be embarrassed to call my own. Even the estate agents seem embarrassed at some of them. We are now looking at paying around $550 per week to secure something decent.

I don't want to worry anyone but just be prepared that you will have to really invest some time to secure something decent!

We remain positive though.....:cool:

Guest itskaren
You cannot normally secure unfurnished rentals prior to arrival, agents like you to have looked at the property, and to be honest you do not want to sign for a rental until you have seen it, what could look like a bargain outside may be a right dump inside, and you need to look at the area to see if it has everything you need and is a nice area to settle.

This is what happened to us. We pre arranged a furnished 3 bedroomed house in Mount Martha Melbourne for a huge cost. It was s dump to say the least. Cost us thousands to get out of the contract.

If I had to do this all again I would stay in a motel and have a look around. There are some sharks out there.

Archived