Launceston vs Hobart

family S

We have our visa and we're now waiting for our house to sell and then we're off to Tasmania.

(with two kids ages 6 and 4, husband is a plasterer)

But we just can't decide between Launceston or Hobart.

Strong interested employer in Hobart, but our friend goes to the Launceston University.

Both have judo, surfing and swimming schools.

Fishing is in both city's an option.....

They're to far apart to live between the two.

So what would you choose??

Guest siamsusie

For CBD attractiveness Hobart most definately.

I am 40kms outside of Launceston so it offers a different perspective for me because I am bang on the beach and the River Tamar amongst the vineyards and lavender.

Shopping wise Hobart for sure. Hobart has Mount Wellington and national parks .

Launceston .... we have the skiing , national parks, mountains are on our doorstep as is the Spirit of Tasmania to the mainland.

For children I would have said Hobart with a variety of activities, and of course the lovely harbour and markets etc.

I love where I am living and wouldnt change at all but had I small children I would go with Hobart.

Those are my honest views.

Susie x

• 2 months later...

I have just seen this topic and, as a Hobartian, I would definitely agree with siamsusie.

I think another disadvantage of Launceston is that it is inland in a fairly narrow valley which means it is frostier and foggier in winter than Hobart (they have an "air quality" index in Launceston which is often mentioned in winter weather reports) but hotter on hot days because it doesn't get the seabreeze, unlike Hobart.

(Re the "air quality" issue: my daughter had asthma while she was a university student in Launceston, but she had never had it before living there or after leaving).

• 3 weeks later...

Just browsing through the threads and came across this one.

Firstly, we prefer Hobart by some distance. Launceston is nice but Hobart has everything we could want from a city and the surrounding areas (bearing in mind we're from Cornwall and want "countryside" etc).

Secondly, how near is the skiing to Launceston? I thought it was at least an hour away?

Guest siamsusie
Just browsing through the threads and came across this one.

Firstly, we prefer Hobart by some distance. Launceston is nice but Hobart has everything we could want from a city and the surrounding areas (bearing in mind we're from Cornwall and want "countryside" etc).

Secondly, how near is the skiing to Launceston? I thought it was at least an hour away?

Skiing from Launceston is about an hour away, our family live near Ben Lomond so its an easy one for us and it was one of the prime considerations for us in choosing where we live as we are ardent skiers.

We live in the countryside Greensbeach which is very country with the Tamar River running alongside it.

Hobart is also lovely, its a matter of choice. Some people prefer south others north.

There is something for everyone here.

Susie

Just as a matter of interest how do the Ozzies pronounce Launceston? Do they follow the cornish pronounciation (which for those not in the know means leaving out the middle of words almost entirely hence "Lawns'n") or do they follow the english tourist's pronounciation and use all the sylable"Lawn-ses-ton"?

Guest siamsusie
Just as a matter of interest how do the Ozzies pronounce Launceston? Do they follow the cornish pronounciation (which for those not in the know means leaving out the middle of words almost entirely hence "Lawns'n") or do they follow the english tourist's pronounciation and use all the sylable"Lawn-ses-ton"?

Lon -ces-ton is how my Ozzie husband pronounces it Ken.. but its always Lonnie.:wubclub:

• 2 months later...

I moved to Launceston from York in the UK. I have travelled all over Tasmania in the time I've been here. I'd like to think I have an open mind on this subject.

I like Launceston, but admit it is a shame it is about an hour from the coast. Funnily enough,I actually went to Greens Beach yesterday just to get some of that sea air. On the plus side, I don't like big cities, and I find Launceston to be big enough that you can get whatever you need, but not intimidating in anyway.

Remember that it is only a two hour car journey between the two places.

If I could live anywhere here, and wasn't linked to a workplace in the city centre, I'd definitely head to the east coast.

Guest Guest 47403
I moved to Launceston from York in the UK. I have travelled all over Tasmania in the time I've been here. I'd like to think I have an open mind on this subject.

I like Launceston, but admit it is a shame it is about an hour from the coast. Funnily enough,I actually went to Greens Beach yesterday just to get some of that sea air. On the plus side, I don't like big cities, and I find Launceston to be big enough that you can get whatever you need, but not intimidating in anyway.

Remember that it is only a two hour car journey between the two places.

If I could live anywhere here, and wasn't linked to a workplace in the city centre, I'd definitely head to the east coast.

How's life Carlos glad you made the move?

How's life Carlos glad you made the move?

Hi Baz. Things are great, thanks for asking.

The move to Australia has been nothing but positive so far. I'm really enjoying my new life over here. I am just coming up to my one year anniversary in a couple of weeks. shocked:

Work's good, I've just moved into a lovely apartment with stunning views from the balcony, and the laid-back lifestyle is doing me a world of good. So, yes I'm very glad I made the move.

I really like Tasmania. I've travelled all over the place since I got here and I try to get away for a weekend every few weeks. I do think a lot of Brits (sorry Poms) overlook Tasmania and seem to head straight for the massive cities on the mainland. I'm not complaining though as it does keep this place quiet. It's their loss.

How about you Baz? Are you in the UK still and looking at moving?

Guest Guest 47403
Hi Baz. Things are great, thanks for asking.

The move to Australia has been nothing but positive so far. I'm really enjoying my new life over here. I am just coming up to my one year anniversary in a couple of weeks. shocked:

Work's good, I've just moved into a lovely apartment with stunning views from the balcony, and the laid-back lifestyle is doing me a world of good. So, yes I'm very glad I made the move.

I really like Tasmania. I've travelled all over the place since I got here and I try to get away for a weekend every few weeks. I do think a lot of Brits (sorry Poms) overlook Tasmania and seem to head straight for the massive cities on the mainland. I'm not complaining though as it does keep this place quiet. It's their loss.

How about you Baz? Are you in the UK still and looking at moving?

Good to hear it's been a positive move for you, I do think a lot of people do seem to overlook Tasmania, we're still in the process of moving but have a couple of things holding us back at the moment Tas is my preferred choice but there doesn't seem to be a lot of work in my area out there so it's more likely to be the mainland where we end up.

Archived