Who lives in the outback??

2and3

Guest guest37336
Anyone live perhaps not so much in the outback, but a small place or on acerage out a bit??

Bit more rural like ?? How did youget to settle there,how is it and would you change location?

Hi 2and3.

There are a few on here who have done so, Bobj among them, they would be your best first port of call. I could go on forever about the outback, :notworthy: etc, but I will end up boring people.

I'm sure others will be along soon.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest MADTOM

I don't live in a rural place or the outback but it would be lovely to have a nice piece of land in the middle of no where to let the kids run riot. Have to have a nice pool though cos it would get pretty hot!

Anyone live perhaps not so much in the outback, but a small place or on acerage out a bit??

Bit more rural like ?? How did youget to settle there,how is it and would you change location?

1. Yus. Replied to another thread; 46 years in country towns/outback/beyond-the-Black-Stump etc.

2. No, I have no reason to live in big cities. "How did youget to settle there"...Drove north from NSW and turned right at the crossroads.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

My son and his family live (or should that be lived?) in the bush - not the outback. They were 45 mins down a dirt road away from the nearest convenience store and over an hour away to a place with a doctor/nurse (occasionally) and a supermarket. They did that for over 4 years and both became extraordinarily bored with it despite building their own house (well, they call it a house) and establishing their own self sufficient garden/orchard. They also now have 2 small kids and are seriously contemplating staying in Canberra (here since before the birth of the second because of the medical imperative at that time) because the oldest child has a need for social interaction and the capacity to walk in the garden without fear of snakes, and generally a more interesting and fulfilled life. The ever present threat of bushfires was brought into their consciousness by the 2009 fires and I think they began to fear a bit more. The fact that most of the people in their vicinity are weird reclusive types also made them think a bit - there is a "like minded" community about an hour down the road but even that isnt a growing and thriving group and people are leaving because of their kids' education and future.

I think if you have kids you generally need to be near to some sort of community - driving 50km along a dirt road just to get to school gets old very quickly. We seriously thought about buying 20 acres about 20km outside an East Gippsland town but at our age we need to be moving towards services rather than away from them (beaut house though, and apparently back on the market so whoever bought it the last time didnt stick it out either). Unfortunately such places arent good for employment if you are young either so if you were financially independent and young middleaged without kids you might be OK.

Guest siamsusie

We live on 2.5 acres, in Tasmania surrounded by the most wonderful trees and the River Tamar. Not many nasties at all here, never seen a snake, seals that bask in the sunshine, fishing, an abundance of pademelons (roos) , 1 Tasmanian Devil, Possums and bird life.

Not a house in sight and I love it. My husband is into his music, so we can turn up the sounds and not be a nuisance to anyone lol. Our local pub we get to by our "tinnie" across the water, a cosy place, log fires in the winter with good affordable food.

Across the road, we have an incredible National Park with a secluded beach.

Our nearest community is 2.5 kms away a small town which has everything, Drs. Dentist, chemists, small community hospital, butchers,supermarkets ,DIY stores. School, library, Gold Mine Museum. We also enjoy a small close knit environment with exceptionally friendly people. Nearest big town is Launceston or Devonport, airports are 45mins away with flights to the mainland only 55 mins and Brisbane 3 hrs or so.

Do I find it boring? No way! there is always some wildlife having a racial /territorial fight with each other, its better than "Neighbours" We have a huge organic wine /Lavender/vegetable /fruit growing area here in this neck of the woods coupled with the small gold mine which I guess are the major employees, other than that you would commute to Launceston which is 40kms away.

We live a very simple life here, with minimal bills, wood for cooking and heating that costs us practically nothing... we buy in all in -season fruits and vegetables and freeze.. locally killed meat from friends or family and free fishing. No water bills.. Cost of living, for us I find it very reasonable, rates $1000. Living in the out back I think makes you more self sufficient. "Puchine/Moonshine might be the way to go, spirits and beer are much more expensive, but ports and wines cheap as.

How did we get to settle here? we lived in WA, we had done our stint there. My OH sent me on an "Australian reccie" to find a place to live and despite the fact he is a Tasmanian I researched high and low for the "perfect place" for us and decided on Tasmania. Cooler for me, with a European environment in terms of landscape and agriculture , affordable acreage and "coming home" for my husband. We still have the daffs, hundreds of tulip fields, lambs, rolling green fields, weeping willows, robin red breasts as Europe has. Mountains and skiing , log fires.....

Would I change location? If we did plan to move, we would consider certain parts of Queensland, but for a comparison location it might be unaffordable, so we would probably be looking at a shack in Qld for the winters maybe and keeping hold of Tasmania.

Susie x

Guest Guest31881

I live in a small town 2 1/2 hours from my nearest city, we have 2 supermarkets, (Bi-Lo & Co-oP) one butcher who sells his own meat, a greengrocer and our biggest store is "Target Country", The main street has a good selection of the other shops you would expect to find and we have a small hospital, but if serious you can be flown to Toowoomba or Brisbane. . The town has a population of 5000.

I have lived on the coast and i loved it there but must say i find this small town friendly and everyone has time to stop and chat. We came here because it had the type of job available where we could work together as a couple and meet plenty of people.

Its not really the outback but a real country town.

We live on acreage on the Mornington Peninsula and are lucky that we can walk to the shops, the docs everywhere, have a train and all that goes with town living.

Bought the land 25 years ago and built our own home, brought the kids up and stayed here because its just great for retirement as well. Can nip over to Mornington in 10 minutes, Mount Eliza 10 minutes, Hastings 10 minutes and Frankston about 20 minutes, not any further but more traffic goes that way.

Our small village is now a town and growing, however we are ringed with farmland so we have the best of country and city.

My son lives in Northern Victoria on the border with New South Wales on the Murray River in a small town with excellent clubs and facilities. 30 mins from Wangaratta, Shepperton and about 40 minutes from Wodonga/Albury. He loves it.

I love the country but must have access to the city as well.

Archived