what about Adelaide ?

Guest kelly1

Hiya,

I have recently migrated to Adelaide.Me and the family have found it hard to settle at first,but just like anywhere in Australia,slowly we have gotten used to it.Adelaide is good,especially if you have little ones,the people are friendly,and there are plenty of activities for all age groups,kids,teenagers,adults,all are catered for.The thing to remember though,is it is not the UK,and it does tend to get very dull and boring in the suburbs after dark.I think of it as a daytime City.Very vibrant in the day,lot's to do etc,not so at nightime,probably because most people are up at 5/6 am and off to work.The beaches and locality are quite stunning,and it has a lot going for it,so not a bad choice at all.:biggrin:

Guest Guest9973
Amazing how we all have different perceptions. One of my husband's sons lives in Adelaide as well as one of his sisters. We have spent some wonderful times there. I would have no hesitation in recommending Adelaide to anyone. Being surrounded by the Barossa Valley, with exceptionally good restaurants, and beaches. Glenelg is beautiful, nice architecture, the trams etc.

Adelaide’s Rundle Mall in the city is a great place to shop. Considered the largest pedestrianized shopping mall in the Southern Hemisphere with over 800 shops and 14 interconnected arcades, cinemas etc.

I would have thought one of the beautiful aspects of living over east is when the children are older and flee the nest in search of the bright lights, they havent got that far to go.

Luckily we all have different needs and requirements but if you are looking for a quieter, beautiful area Adelaide will appeal to many.

Susie

Thanks for the compliments upon my adopted home town Susie.:notworthy:

You have summed up a lot of what we like about living here ( 10 years this month).

I have found that Adelaide kind of grows on you and one day you fully wake up to her charms.:biggrin:

I do find too many people make snap decisions about her and just can't wait to have a go at her - due to their impatience and lack of imagination!:arghh:

Guest rayman1
Thanks for the compliments upon my adopted home town Susie.:notworthy:

You have summed up a lot of what we like about living here ( 10 years this month).

I have found that Adelaide kind of grows on you and one day you fully wake up to her charms.:biggrin:

I do find too many people make snap decisions about her and just can't wait to have a go at her - due to their impatience and lack of imagination!:arghh:

At the end of the day I think IMHO that people who are trapped in Adelaide make the most of it and them who don't leave. But what suits one doesn't suit the other so who cares what I think LOL.

At the end of the day I think IMHO that people who are trapped in Adelaide make the most of it and them who don't leave. But what suits one doesn't suit the other so who cares what I think LOL.

I reckon what you posted is important as people need to hear both sides and then make up their own minds from there.

• 2 months later...

We lived in Adelaide and really enjoyed ourselves outside work. The beaches aren't just OK - they are fantastic beaches. Check out North Brighton pier - buy a bage of fish and chips opposite the pier and sit and eat them whilst you watch the sun go down and create some of the most fantastic sunsets you'll ever see. It's a very easy place to get around in terms of both the CBD and surrounding environs. The central market is good for getting all your cheap produce - but if you want to shop at Woolworths for all your food etc, be prepared for the bill to be a little bit more. There are places of interest, museums, Art Galleries, the Barossa Wine Valley (up north) and the Southern Wine region (which in our opinion is the better place to go wine tasting). If you go down to Victor Harbor at a certain point in the calender (more precisely to Middleton beach) you'll see more than several whales and their calves basking and breaching in the bay. You won't go wrong in Adelaide but be advised that it does feel a little small after a while.

Hope this is helpful

Jasp

Not everyone is "trapped" here - I have dual nationality so could live anywhere, and have visited Queensland, NSW and Victoria, and still prefer to live in Adelaide. I kind of like the "everywhere you go you bump into someone you know" thing here - makes it feel like a village!! Never was a big-city girl though....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest broughton

hi read your post on poms in ozz what area do you live in we are hoping to move to ozz in late 2010 many thanx glen.

Guest Guest9973
we thought adelaide was really good until i got a parking ticket for parking my car the wrong way round

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I think that is a very sensible law,stops a few accidents.

Isn't it an all Australian law??

• 1 month later...

Hi

I too is interested in moving to AU. I have gone through Vetessess. I have two kids. Little confuced and worried about the state sponsorship as the gov will not support us for medcare and education. I am a professional banker with qualifications to back me. Will it be tough for us to survive w/o support for few years? pleeeeeeeese let me know your views...

Thanks

Hi

Pretty sure there is a Hyundai dealer in Reynella? will be more than one id think, we moved to adelaide a yr ago...are currently in process of moving to QLD but thats personal pref nothing wrong with adelaide we like it lovely city not so big etc havent had any trouble here we just like the warmer climate and im not a city person so we eyeing the smaller areas :)

ppl seem to either love it or hate it lol we have found ppl here to be mostly friendly and mostly helpful etc hubby had no probs getting a job.

my family have moved here too and are enjoying the southern suburbs they are in Aldinga beach. they arent as anoyed by the cold winter as we have been so i guess if ya dont mind having a cooler winter its a great place!

we thought adelaide was really good until i got a parking ticket for parking my car the wrong way round

mmmm, being an Aussie living in the UK I find it strange that you can park facing against the direction of traffic (on the wrong side of the road).

It's been illegal in Australia (and the US) for as long as I can remember and I have been driving 20 years. I think it is because you must travel in the wrong direction when leaving and re-entering the roadway.

:policeman:

Guest guest33730
mmmm, being an Aussie living in the UK I find it strange that you can park facing against the direction of traffic (on the wrong side of the road).

It's been illegal in Australia (and the US) for as long as I can remember and I have been driving 20 years. I think it is because you must travel in the wrong direction when leaving and re-entering the roadway.

:policeman:

I have no idea whether this is the case but my 18 year old who just passed his test in the UK before we moved out here tells me that he learnt that it was a law in the UK too - it's just not enforced as rigourously

Daniel

• 6 months later...

Hi there!

We have been in Melbourne for 18 months now and the place is just getting more and more crowded. We like Australia and love a lot of the people we have met. Our teenagers are having a ball and more importantly are in work. However we came from the edge of the Yorkshire Dales and gave up a beautiful property for a better life for the kids and a eventual pleasant retirement for us. Melbourne is definitely for the young, young at heart and for those DINKy types who love the buzz. Not for us then and it will therefore be time for us to move on soon and we are toying with South Australia as an option. As for what people say? there are beautiful parts of Northern England of which our Southern kin have no knowledge and they are too the best kept secrets. Any of you would be migrants keep an open mind and realise your needs change as your family grow however if you are not a big city person believe me Melbourne isn't for you. However its been good for us starting up.

Amazing how we all have different perceptions. One of my husband's sons lives in Adelaide as well as one of his sisters. We have spent some wonderful times there. I would have no hesitation in recommending Adelaide to anyone. Being surrounded by the Barossa Valley, with exceptionally good restaurants, and beaches. Glenelg is beautiful, nice architecture, the trams etc.

Adelaide’s Rundle Mall in the city is a great place to shop. Considered the largest pedestrianized shopping mall in the Southern Hemisphere with over 800 shops and 14 interconnected arcades, cinemas etc.

I would have thought one of the beautiful aspects of living over east is when the children are older and flee the nest in search of the bright lights, they havent got that far to go.

Luckily we all have different needs and requirements but if you are looking for a quieter, beautiful area Adelaide will appeal to many.

Susie

How many husbands do you have????????????????????????????????!!!!

Guest Guest9973
How many husbands do you have????????????????????????????????!!!!

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Suzie chews through em' at the rate of knots................... So Pablo gossipped to me.

( Tyke ducks from the imminent twack around the back of the head:policeman::swoon:)

I was wondering the same thing. My partner and I are wanting to go to Adelaide. The climate sounds great, but I'm beginning to wonder if there is someting wrong!!

Hi Heather,

I am currently in the UK and have been back here for almost 4 years now. I returned to re-unite with my partner whom I have known since i was 15 and left behind when my family moved to Adelaide in 1981. He came back to Adelaide with me last year and fell in love with the place and has now been granted his partner visa.

i have lived in Adelaide most of my life with intervals of 3-5 years in the U.K due to parents that could never settle!

All i can say in answer to your question is that for some unknown reason Adelaide often gets overlooked probably because sydney is so focused on overseas due to its well know icons and maybe because Adelaide is smaller and considered somewhat by the other larger cities in OZ to be a large "Country Town".

having been to sydney and Melbourne and able to compare i see it like this...Sydney is a fantastic place to visit for a holiday where you want all the hussle and bussle and travelling between places and although fabulous in the city itself I wouldnt want to live on the outer regions, NSW as a whole had beautiful places to offer much more livable and lovlier than Sydney itself. Melbourne is a great place too with Im sure lovely regional areas much more livable than the city itself. Both are much more expensive than Adelaide and much less livable in some senses.

i found Adelaide to be a beautiful city which has a great sense of community. It has a lovely festival feel to it and is host to many cultuaral events yearly, its a place for young and old and is easy to commute around. It has brilliant beaches which are never overcrowded and certainly some where you could often be the only one there. Its easy in Adelaide to go from city,beach to vine literally as everything is within easy reach. this is not to say that it is small but well laid out and does not yet have the traffic problems of larger places. it has lovely places to visit and have weekends away such as the Fleuriou Peninsula and York Peninsula and if you are a wine lover you will already know the regions of Barossa Valley, Clare Valleys, and McLaren Vale.

Your Children will love the freedom that they will experience the weather is great and enables you to be out in the fresh air much more often than in the UK. The Schools are generally very good and the facilites for children and Familes are great.

A lot of what you do will cost you very little as a day on the beach is free and unlike the u.k the only place you will ever pay for parking is in the city centre and possibly Glenelg but you can still find plenty of free parking.The City is beautiful surrounded by parklands and the buildings very elegant and mostly victorian. Where to live is always a problem and is often dictated to by work but i would suggest areas South of the City or the Nth Eastern or Eastern Suburbs. If you have the ability to stay for a while in a couple of short term rentals you may decide whats best for you and the lifestyle you want while experiencing the place properly. We will definetley try for the South Side as its cooler in the summer with the sea breezes and we really want to have a lifestyle where if possible we can walk to the beach and get out and about as much as possible. After experiencing the last 3 winters in England especially the last one i am desperate to get outside and entertain and enjoy the blue skys, the fantastic views and the great multi cultural lifestyle that is on offer in Adelaide. By the way after spending so much time in Australia but always feeling like i was pulled from my home I finally realise how lucky we really were to have lived in such a wonderful and beautiful place and that although i love the beauty of the countryside here too its such a shame that what we would all love to have over here in the U.K is out of reach of the average person and not a reality,, it can be in Adelaide.

Hope you decide to give it a try you wont be dissapointed just give it your all and be open to all that is on offer. kat

Archived