457 Visa

My husband has been offered a very well paying job as a doctor on a 457 visa which he has accepted - he is 47 and was told the 457 was due to having to sit exams within 3 years of arriving in order to be awarded fellowship to the australian royal college? is this right? Do we have any other visa options as it makes me slightly nervous that the visa is not permanent and we are both giving up our jobs and uprooting our family to go. I am a nurse, aged 41 and don't plan to go to work straight away as our youngest is only 20 months (I am working at present but have good childcare - when we move I would obviously want to look into this before making any decisions as to where he would go). Also, when I looked at the points system, even with a Masters degree in my field and if I sat the IELTS test I would be 5 points short of the 120. Any advice re options?

Also, if we do go over on the 457 what are the chances of making it permanent after 2 years given my husbands age?

Where will your husband be working?

It is likely you will be looking at a move to a "regional area" of Australia - I believe this is required so a Medicare provider number can be obtained - which will probably mean permanent residency will be via the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) in due course.

Best regards.

I would urge you to contact the Australian royal college to ask about the exam the employer is referring to.

I would also suggest you look into the registration process with AHPRA since there have been many drs out here not being able to work since AHPRA failed to register them in a timely manner.

The employer should offer you assistance through this process so please ask for it. You do have to ask otherwise you won't get out here.

Childcare is very accessible out here, even if you chose not to work initially, I would suggest you also look into the registration process as it can take months. At least 6 to be registered.

As for visas, you can go straight for perm residency, I believe there is a fast track for drs. To be honest, coming out here under a 457 myself. I would highly recommend you go straight for the perm visa. This way the employer wont have any hold on you and you will have an easier time. they say the 457 is your own and you can change employer but that's easier said than done.

As for a dr, be prepared for one upmanship and have a strong back bone, they are a vicious breed out here. If they can put you down to make themselves look good then they will. Its about who can make the best diagnosis and how fast. I have been witness to some awful situations. The old school boy network is rife out here in the medical trade.

On the up note, you ask and you will get. You are well regarded and well respected.

Dear All

Many thanks for the replies - my husband has received all of the paperwork and has also spoken to another medic who also moved over on a 457 and converted this once he had sat the college exam. I have looked on the links provided and even though my husband is 47, as long as his employer agrees that they could not get someone with his qualifications who is younger then the PR should be pretty straight forward (I hope - would hate to get there only to be told I had to leave at a later stage and had given up my own job back here and uprooted the kids for the pleasure!). I am sure as in every job you will have some others who will stab you in the back (I know I certainly work with one or two already) but am sure we will manage regardless.

Anyway, thanks again, it's always comforting to know there are others out there who have either been in similar circumstances or who can point us in the right direction with a bit of friendly advice

Will keep you posted x

Archived