state sponsorship - questions

chiara

We will be applying for a SS176 skilled migrant worker visa. My husband is in the process of getting his skills assessed from engineers australia. Following that, I understand we have to apply for the state sponsorship -- how long does that take? Once that is done (and assuming it is approved) do you then apply for the visa or is there anything else that needs to be done? We're doing this ourselves so I'm trying to get to grips with the process -- it's pretty complicated. (and we are native english speakers so IELTS isn't an issue).

Guest jigarercivil

Each state has different timeline... you can find list of occupations and timeline on state wesite.. Here I have pasted link where you can find list of each state with link where they defined timeline also you can check each applicant detail.. In detail most applicants written , which state applied, when applied and when he/she got ss..

check SMP lists & Applicants

as an example,

Name: Jigarercivil (Jigar Patel)

Date of visa application: 29/10/10

Nationality: Indian

High/low risk: HR

Trade/profession:Civil Engineer

Visa type: 176

Which state sponsored: SA

Date of SMP applications: 29/09/10

Date of SMP granted: 25/10/10

Onshore/offshore: offshore

Pre-november 2010 category: Category 3

Medicals submitted: done 15/02/2011, refereed 02/03/2011, finalized ???

Police checks submitted: submitted 9/03/11/

Date of CO assigned: 14 February 2011

Date of employment verification (if applicable):

Date visa granted:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/98525-category-2s-where-you-now.html

We will be applying for a SS176 skilled migrant worker visa. My husband is in the process of getting his skills assessed from engineers australia. Following that, I understand we have to apply for the state sponsorship -- how long does that take? Once that is done (and assuming it is approved) do you then apply for the visa or is there anything else that needs to be done? We're doing this ourselves so I'm trying to get to grips with the process -- it's pretty complicated. (and we are native english speakers so IELTS isn't an issue).

Hi

We are just coming to the end of the whole process.

I did my nursing assessment which included passing he IELTS even though I am english. This took about 2-4 months to gather all my info and get it passed.

We then applied for the state sponsorship. How quickly you get processed seems to tally with how high a priority your job is to that area. I am a nurse (Cat 2) and it took about 6 weeks to get my state sponsorship.

We have now applied for the visa and we applied Early jan, got a case officer 6 weeks later,done all meds and police checks and are hopefully getting our visa next week.

The whole process has taken 13 months, but could have taken as little as 8 months. I have found that we have had a very quick and smooth process , but I think that is luck and skills needed by the country.

Good luck xx

As far as I understand, native English speakers from Ireland, UK, NZ don't have to pass an IELTS. Can anyone clarify this?

Native English speakers from those countries don't need IELTS if their skills assessment body doesn't require higher IELTS than 'Competent' English i.e. 6 in each of the 4 components (that's enough for EA) and they don't need it to meet DIAC's basic English skills requirement which is also Competent English. Being from an English speaking country provides an assumption that you have Competent Englsih.

If however they don't get enough points on the points test with Competent English, they may need to do IELTS to score all 7s for an additional 10 points on the current test for Proficient English. In order to pass the new points test, many people will need Proficient or even Superior (all 8s) just to scrape through and everyone must do IELTS for those, regardless of their country of origin.

Archived