MIDWIFERY - working in private hopsitals...how is it really???

trace1

I am a midwife working in the UK and am hoping to move to the Gold Coast in the summer if I can find a job...my question is easy...private or public?...have heard some negative things about working in private hospitals..can anyone who does let me know how it really is please

• 2 months later...

From what I've heard, working in private hospitals is a no no if you want to maintain your autonomy as a midwife. It's more geared towards obstetric nursing, supporting your woman in labour then stepping back as the doctor delivers her baby! Public on the other hand, the total opposite.

If you search through some old threads on the forum you should find some more info.

Good luck

Guest jooby

From my own experience as a UK midwife - not speaking about anyone else's - midwifery is definitely very different no matter if public or private (for the most part unless you get work in a birth centre).

For me, working in private maternity units was: degrading, poorly paid, overworked and frankly the most depressing part of my whole career. And for a time worked in privates in more than one state and not just one hospital, so it wasn't just an isolated thing.

Each to their own, but I wish someone had told me before I left my nice public hospital job to go travelling thinking that private midwifery would be the same. It is not - from what I saw they seem somewhat to be baby factories for super rich obstetricians over servicing (read caesars galore for "big babies" and "failure to progress" after early inductions and 2 hours on synto). Who knew people who could afford private obstetricians had smaller pelvises :eek:

Sure I'll get shot down by those that work in private units. The midwives were mostly lovely but the system sucks (again just my opinion). And working in the public system isn't all roses either - but at least you still feel like a professional and not someone's maid - at one place a woman asked me to pull her socks up as she was too tired, oh and if I wasn't too busy could I get a newspaper for her, the husband was sitting right there !!!! Rant over....

Archived