Living costs

Phil & Vikki

Before we came over to Sydney we were heard some really bad horror stories about the cost of living in Australia and mainly Sydney and how high costs were. It is one thing that really worried us and we wondered if we would be able to cope with the high prices.

We have been here 5 weeks now and have found that some of the stories were exaggerated a little and that things are not as bad as what some people say. Yes some of the costs are high such as rent and utilities, but there are ways of getting the weekly shopping cost down. We have found that going to the markets on the weekend and finding where the local aldi is, helps keep the costs down for our family of four. We have also found that a bit of fresh lemon juice in a jug of water helps keeps juice and pop costs down. That is one thing that we need a lot of, drinks.

With this post we are not saying that the cost of living in Sydney is high as it is, but there are ways to help keep costs down a little if you are prepared to do them. We have also found a nice little butchers around the corner from us which sells cheapish meat. We go there every Saturday and stock up the freezer for the rest of the weak. We have found the bigger shops prices are very high and going to the little butchers also helps the cost come down.:tongue:

Guest OnlineMarketer30

Interesting post, thanks for posting. I am moving to Sydney in 3 weeks, any advice on cheaper accomodation would be gratefully received. Aside from rent and bills, what do you find the highest costs are in comparison with the UK and what, if anything is actually cheaper?

thanks!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

There are ways of cutting costs down, both their and in the uk, when we were in Brisbane and Perth, we found the cost of living was similar to the uk, Sydney has always been thought of as being really dear, so its nice to hear an alternate view.

I agree with the observations on shopping around: I was surprised by how much cheaper the small stores were for groceries and the like. A basic loaf of bread at a bakery in Coogee is $1.50; go inside the Woolworth's next door, and it's more like $4.

Bananas (extremely expensive after the QLD floods): $6.99/kg at W, $3.00 at the grocer outside.

We resorted to going to a Woolworth's South of Woolangong last night as it was late and the nearest Aldi was far, and did a reasonably-sized shop for the two of us; buying discounted/BOGOF where possible, and getting a few expensive items like washing liquid (again, cheapest possible). It came to $170. I guess the same in the Sainsbury's down the road in London would have been £75 or so. So call it a 30% premium.

I did find myself staring glumly at a pack of chicken breast last night, reflecting on how, in London, I would have just thrown it in the trolley. You get used to it. :-}

D

Hello everyone,this is my first time on here. i'm in the process of getting a 457 visa and will be heading to postal area 2099, deewhy and surrounding area as my work is based there,

could anyone tell me where and how to find accommodation as i dont seem to be getting many responses from letting agents

what should i expect to spend on a 1 bed rental i guess i'll need a furnished place as all our stuff will be coming out when my fiancee rents the house out after i have finished my probation period

i'll be on 65k plus bonus will this be enough to support a family of 4 ?

steve

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hello everyone,this is my first time on here. i'm in the process of getting a 457 visa and will be heading to postal area 2099, deewhy and surrounding area as my work is based there,

could anyone tell me where and how to find accommodation as i dont seem to be getting many responses from letting agents

what should i expect to spend on a 1 bed rental i guess i'll need a furnished place as all our stuff will be coming out when my fiancee rents the house out after i have finished my probation period

steve

Hi steve

$65k is equivalent to about £30,000 in the uk, ignore the exchange rate you will be earning dollars not pounds, the cost of living rate is all you should be interested in and the wages in OZ for most skills is approximately paid at $2.2 to £1, once you understand that, its easy to work out the true cost of living in each country. Can you live comfortably on £30,000 in the uk, personally we would struggle, best of luck.

Hi steve

$65k is equivalent to about £30,000 in the uk, ignore the exchange rate you will be earning dollars not pounds, the cost of living rate is all you should be interested in and the wages in OZ for most skills is approximately paid at $2.2 to £1, once you understand that, its easy to work out the true cost of living in each country. Can you live comfortably on £30,000 in the uk, personally we would struggle, best of luck.

Hi Jim

i see i thought it would equate to a little more, so confused about the money thing, we would find it tight i guess but i'll be out there on my own for a while so i can save some then we'd have to look into the missis working part time i guess,

do you have any advice on initial accommodation?

thanks for getting back to me

steve

Thats pretty normal as most agents wont really bother acknowledging you unless you are actually in Australia they view it as a waste of time, the usual routine of getting a rental is that there is an open house on a Saturday for about 20 minutes when you turn up to view the property along with 30 other people equally as desperate as yourself. Really its a bit of a lottery tbh you put your application in and hope for the best. Good advice is to put in as many applications as you can (15) and then if you get approved on 1 or 2 you pick the best.

Dee Why is not an easy place to commute to and its an expensive area of Sydney, you probably would need to live around the area. 1BR $280-$380 pw

About 99% of rentals are not furnished and those that are would be more holiday rentals (more expensive).

Doable but considering the area where you work (and will probably live) it might be a pinch, if your kids are school age and you are on a 457 then your up for schools fees.

LAFHA if you can get it from your employer would be a big help.

Thats pretty normal as most agents wont really bother acknowledging you unless you are actually in Australia they view it as a waste of time, the usual routine of getting a rental is that there is an open house on a Saturday for about 20 minutes when you turn up to view the property along with 30 other people equally as desperate as yourself. Really its a bit of a lottery tbh you put your application in and hope for the best. Good advice is to put in as many applications as you can (15) and then if you get approved on 1 or 2 you pick the best.

Dee Why is not an easy place to commute to and its an expensive area of Sydney, you probably would need to live around the area. 1BR $280-$380 pw

About 99% of rentals are not furnished and those that are would be more holiday rentals (more expensive).

Doable but considering the area where you work (and will probably live) it might be a pinch, if your kids are school age and you are on a 457 then your up for schools fees.

LAFHA if you can get it from your employer would be a big help.

Hi

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll stay in a travel lodge until I find a place, this is all very nerve racking and I need to make sure I do it right as I don't want my family to come out and I don't have everything covered, if anyone has any advise I need to know as much as possible

Steve

Hi steve

Must agree, when we came here we were putting everything into the price in the UK and we were getting shocked at how expensive things were. You have to remember that it around half the price in £'s and that in Oz you are earning more money. It took us a bit of time to get our head around this, but when we did we felt a lot better.

Archived