Aircraft Engineers Converting your Licence.

Guest steve vowell

Guest steve vowell

I hope my experience is helpful to any engineers trying to convert to the Aussie licence system.

I am a type rated B2 engineer in the UK but also hold a B1 with no type ratings, and have had issues with my electrical cover as the Aussie licence system does not gel with EASA 66 licences. I have been granted Instrument and Radio credits in line with my A320/21, A330, B757 & B767 but have lost my meager electrical cover afforded to me by my B2 (no grandfather rights)

CASA do not recognise LWTR's and will only grant you the credits towards an Aus licence if you hold a type on your licence and a company approval for at least 6 months related to your UK licence.

I have held my B1 for over 6 months and have carried out an A330 B1 type course I also have over 10 years experience on type with a log book to support the last year or so, I am awaiting an engine course so I can apply for my UK type rating (end of this month). Even with this ammount of supporting data CASA still would not grant me my electrics on the A330.

My life now hangs in limbo as Visa's are in place and job in Perth is waiting.

If anyone needs any help converting their licences or understanding the CASA licencing system I have now got a reasonable understanding of how to apply and how it all works thanks to my misfortunes let me know and I will see fi I can assist.

:arghh:

You have done all you can Mr Vowell, and your wife and family just hope that the job offer remains open till you can get the electrics, and then we can all start our adventure....mind u judging from the electrical efforts of your kit car im not sure your worthy of the licence...ha ha.

Love you loads

The WIFE

• 3 weeks later...

I think its shocking as a B1 LAME i can get Electrics from CASA no problem! yet you as an experienced B2 cant!

I know the B2's where i work get frustrated at doing jobs and having to ask me or a.n.other B1 to sign for them! especially when it comes to wiring problems and repairs, none of us know how to do it!!

thankfully, if i get B2 anytime soon, my type ratings are all B1/B2!!

Guest steve vowell

S92LAME

Be careful when you convert as CASA wont accept type ratings unless you have held a company approval for 6 months as this proves your required currancy (6 months in 24). I am in the same situation as your B2 friends very frustrating. Will soon have a full B1/B2 A330 approval so only half a year to wait now.

Steve.

i dont need to worry about that, all my types are current with at least 3 years on them and im only B1.3. seems to be easier or at least more straight forward if you just have a B1.

only thing that is annoying for me is i cant get AS332L2 on my licence as they dont have any in Australia.

6 months will fly by and im sure if you apply for the job again, it'll still be there. they seem to be pretty short of engineers there, i know my company alone is looking for 40 engineers to fulfill a new contract and was already short of them.

Guest steve vowell

S92LAME

Have you sat the AA course and exam yet, did mine last week. Simple enough to do and understand but all based around general aviation and not realy geared towards commercial stuff.

I persume you are on helicopters at the mo.

What company have you applied to?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Guest linzie24

Hi Steve, You are just the person we need to talk to!! I have already been in contact with your wife - so she may have mentioned me. We are looking to move out to Oz at some point in the future, however, hubby is having trouble getting his foot in the door with some companies as he has not already converted his licenses to CASA. He has the following qualifications (lifted from his CV).

B1 and C Unrestricted License with following type ratings:

• B1 and C Fokker 50
  • B1 and C Fokker 70/100
  • B1 and C BAe 146/RJ
  • B1 and C Boeing 737 300/400/500 series
  • B1 and C Airbus 318/319/320/321 series with IAE V2500 and CM56 Engines

How on earth do we sort out the Air Ledge course off our own back - I don't even know where to start and the CASA website just seems so confusing.

Where can you sit the Air Ledge course?

Any help you can give us would be great!!

Guest steve vowell

Hi Linzie

Licence conversion itself is quite simple you apply to CASA for an ARN (reference number) first as you will need this for all communications with CASA. Then apply for an LTA and they will grant you "exam credits" based on your licence, approvals and currency of work / company approvals. They will only issue these on types held, you then complete the AA exam and then apply for the licence. It may be worth waiting until July before applying as they are changing to a B1/B2 system at the end of June and this may enable you to keep your electrical privilages on your B1. If you apply prior to this you will only get engines and airframe.

Not sure about the Fokker cover but the other aircraft are recognised in Aus.

When you send any paperwork make sure it is all certified as true copies or it will be rejected.

Now here's the hard part. As for the AA exam I was put on a course by the company I applied to this may happen to you if and when you secure a job in Oz. If not CASA will only recognise courses run by Aus approved companies in Oz, so you will have to do this when you get there. Don't fret about it the course is easy and passes are a virtually ensured. Queensland Aerospace College ran my course and was very good www.qac.net.au

Here are some forms and info that may help.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/ame/download/ctc_215b.pdf

ARN application

http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/form1162.pdf

LTA application

http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/ame/form346.pdf

Also look at CAO 100.91

AAC 9-91 / 9-92 / 9-93

All are found on the CASA website without much searching all to do with licencing.

Hope this is of some use to you and get back to me if you need any help as it is a mine field.

Steve.

Guest linzie24

You are a diamond Steve!! Thanks so much for your help with that. Thankfully it seems we were on the right track with the right paperwork. Hubby has filled in the form to get the ARN and also has the LTA documents and is in the process of copying his documents, licenses etc.

Quick question about the certifiying of documents - how exactly do you do this - and who needs to certify them and what information do they put?

Thanks for the info about the AA course as I could not find that anywhere in the UK - now I know why.

Spoke with hubby and he is relucant to lose anything from his license and so we may wait until July to go ahead with the paperwork - I guess that means we will have to put our dream on hold for a bit longer but hey - I guess you know how that feels! Any news about your situation or is it just a case of waiting?

Thanks again

Lynsey

Guest steve vowell

Hi Lynsey

I took all my doc's to a local solicitor who copied, stamped and signed as true copies cost me £1 per copy but had no trouble having them accepted.

Now completed my type training for my A330 B1 cover waiting for a certificate then it's off to the CAA for the rating then wait.

Only 6 1/2 months to go!!!!!

Steve

• 1 year later...

Archived