ex forces/serving who are applying for a visa..Can be so complicated !

brideycollette

Great thread. I have been browsing PIO for the past year or so gathering information for when my other half leaves the marines (Feb, 2014 after 22 yrs service). I am keen to move to Oz but i am still working on hubby, hence me trying to find positive information on this site. It is really helpful to hear others experiences. We went to the Live Down Under expo in London last year and was told by an agent there that it wasn't worth applying as he was still serving and we would more than likely be turned down. Following further enquiries, i found out that a letter from his CO stating his discharge date would be enough for us to go for 176 visa. Others on this site had gained 176 in similar circumstances. However, because he isn't due out for another 2 and half years, we haven't felt the need to apply just yet.

We were planning a reccie in October this year but have recently found out he won't be in the country...so that put a stop to that for the moment. Neither of us has been to Oz, but know people over there. Have others who are taking the leap visited previosly or or you just taking a chance that you will like it and going straight for the visa?

My OH is worried about work prospects if and when we move down under. He would more than likely have to train for a new career (he will then be 46 when he leaves) and i would have to be the sole earner for a while...i am a social worker and so we would apply on my qualifications. I have looked into all this and my options seem promising. He however, is nervous...think he would be anyway, even if he we weren't considering emigrating.

I was wondering where people are thinking of settling. I would prefer to settle in WA. Was also wondering what occupations people will be settling into when they arrive in Oz and if anyone would be in the same predicament as my other half and have to re train. If looking at different careers, what plans do you have? I have looked into the WA prison service as a possibility for future employment for my OH, as you can apply once you have PR.

Top of my worries at the moment is the current exchange rate, and cost of living in Oz. I would probably have to start at the bottom again in my career and would probably be earning around $65,000 per annum in WA (looking at current posts). Anybody know how far this would go. We would have the funds for OH to have up to a year off to settle the kids in, find out feet etc.

At the moment we have a happyish life here in the UK. Nice house, family up the road, excellent schools, i work part-time. However, me and the children live in Dorset and he is drafted to Plymouth so he only gets to come home at weekends, if he is actually in the country. We have been living like this for the past 10 years as we thought it was better for the kids to be settled rather than move around. However, i dream of us all living under one roof all of the time, and having quality time in a country where kids can be kids for longer and live an outdoor lifestyle. I know Oz doesn't have all of the answers to my dreams, but i would prefer to give it a go than 10 years down the line regret not trying it. However, i am nervous at the prospect of moving down under and absolutely hating it! I guess these feelings are common.

Sorry to ramble on...its nice to know that my obsession with Oz is shared by others. Any views/hints/tips would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks,

Suzanne 38, Tim 44, Abbey7 and Ollie 3.

Thinking of starting the process early 2012.

Does he have a trade in the RM that can be of use outside, like VM? Yes he will have management and leadership i suspect having been in 22. Get him to get as many courses under his belt, IT, day release and to plan his resettlement well, easy to say i know. Try to get him out of his mindset and being profesional, he needs to look after number one in his last year. Dont make the same mistake i made and worked my nuts off till the last day, they wont pay your bills when you leave. If he is in his pension years now, you get your visa and the right job, the way the RN is now i would suspect they would let him go early. Best of luck in your decision. Keep asking on here, there are loads of ex military i am sure will help where they can.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest stevenstina

Thought it was about time i finally wrote something on here as i am a long term reader. i am in the initial throes of starting the application for a 176. I am just waiting for my response from Engineers Australia as i have sent them copies of my HND (Sydney Accord). My family and i were wishing to move next summer, however,unfortunately i wasn't on the list for redundancy. with only 3 years left to go i was just wondering when would be a good time to apply for my visa?

as far as i can remember, once the visa has been issued i have 12 months to activate it. so with my final month being June 2014 my guess was summer/autumn 2012.

Many thanks for your time

Guest Tony4052
Thought it was about time i finally wrote something on here as i am a long term reader. i am in the initial throes of starting the application for a 176. I am just waiting for my response from Engineers Australia as i have sent them copies of my HND (Sydney Accord). My family and i were wishing to move next summer, however,unfortunately i wasn't on the list for redundancy. with only 3 years left to go i was just wondering when would be a good time to apply for my visa?

as far as i can remember, once the visa has been issued i have 12 months to activate it. so with my final month being June 2014 my guess was summer/autumn 2012.

Many thanks for your time

Steve

Please post how you get on with Engineers Australia regarding the Sydney Accord.

I attempted to go down this route and got as far as EC UK regarding the Sydney Accord and here is the reply I received:

You gained IEng via the Individual Route, which is a means for engineers achieving professional registration by demonstrating the underpinning knowledge and understanding required for, in your case IEng, through non-formative academic means. I believe that you were assessed through REME and experience gained was recognised as demonstrating this requirement – thus essentially bridging the divide between your HND and the ordinary bachelor level.

However, for the purpose of the Sydney Accord, because your HND was commenced after Aug 1999 it does not meet the requirements for recognition under the Accord. The Sydney Accord is concerned with academic qualifications that are formally accredited and – in the case of UK higher national qualifications, deemed by the Engineering Council to have equivalence to an accredited qualification. We raised our academic requirement with effect 1 Sept 1999 from HNC to ordinary bachelor degree, hence the problem in this respect. Unfortunately C&G qualifications are not accredited and fall outside the scope of the Accord.

Engineers Australia offers the Competency Demonstration Report (CDR) route for applicants whose qualifications don’t qualify for recognition under a formal recognition agreement, such as the Sydney Accord.

I have therefore submitted my application as a Diesel Fitter, which in essence I am with a bit of Engineering Management thrown in... :wink:

Guest stevenstina
Steve

Please post how you get on with Engineers Australia regarding the Sydney Accord.

I attempted to go down this route and got as far as EC UK regarding the Sydney Accord and here is the reply I received:

You gained IEng via the Individual Route, which is a means for engineers achieving professional registration by demonstrating the underpinning knowledge and understanding required for, in your case IEng, through non-formative academic means. I believe that you were assessed through REME and experience gained was recognised as demonstrating this requirement – thus essentially bridging the divide between your HND and the ordinary bachelor level.

However, for the purpose of the Sydney Accord, because your HND was commenced after Aug 1999 it does not meet the requirements for recognition under the Accord. The Sydney Accord is concerned with academic qualifications that are formally accredited and – in the case of UK higher national qualifications, deemed by the Engineering Council to have equivalence to an accredited qualification. We raised our academic requirement with effect 1 Sept 1999 from HNC to ordinary bachelor degree, hence the problem in this respect. Unfortunately C&G qualifications are not accredited and fall outside the scope of the Accord.

Engineers Australia offers the Competency Demonstration Report (CDR) route for applicants whose qualifications don’t qualify for recognition under a formal recognition agreement, such as the Sydney Accord.

I have therefore submitted my application as a Diesel Fitter, which in essence I am with a bit of Engineering Management thrown in... :wink:

Tony

As yet i haven't had a reply, but it has only been 5 weeks. I do know it is with a Case Officer at the moment though so fingers crossed (should be just under 10 days left + postage).

Was your HND accredited at IEng level? I used the following web site to check mine and i do fall within the boundary's of the accord:

Guest Tony4052
Tony

As yet i haven't had a reply, but it has only been 5 weeks. I do know it is with a Case Officer at the moment though so fingers crossed (should be just under 10 days left + postage).

Was your HND accredited at IEng level? I used the following web site to check mine and i do fall within the boundary's of the accord:

Thanks forth link. Just checked and they have changed the goal posts in Jan 11. I enquired 10 months ago...

Are you REME?

My HND is accredited at IEng level,but also had to do RWOC, cross map my technical skills and experience in line with IEng and then a 2 hour technical interview.

I will re send my details and see what they say now. Not that it will change my current Visa application, but might open up other job opportunities in Oz.

Guest stevenstina
Thanks forth link. Just checked and they have changed the goal posts in Jan 11. I enquired 10 months ago...

Are you REME?

My HND is accredited at IEng level,but also had to do RWOC, cross map my technical skills and experience in line with IEng and then a 2 hour technical interview.

I will re send my details and see what they say now. Not that it will change my current Visa application, but might open up other job opportunities in Oz.

Good luck with the HND. No, not REME, Matlot WAFU. As soon as I get the response from engineers Australia I'll post on here. Even if you have now gone down another route at least you'll know it will work.

Hi Guys ,

Just thought we would update you .

We think we have a CO now OH qualifications have all been met and work experiance too .

Now fingers crossed the letter from OH's XO does the job about possible early release :wubclub:rather than having a drama moment explaining to the CO he can not show his discharge paper's

Goodluck everyone on the visa process !

Brides

Guest NickG

Hi

yes we have ours husband due out march 2012. Just need to sell house and we are off, will bring out date forward.

kelly

• 2 months later...

was there much joy with this? My visa is being delayed until my official out date, then they said theyll start the process. I was never told this when i PVR'd from the air force, nor did the company im working for say that itd be a problem. Going to be a pain as ill have to find employment in the meantime, which is not going to be easy, fell ive been screwed over a bit!

was there much joy with this? My visa is being delayed until my official out date, then they said theyll start the process. I was never told this when i PVR'd from the air force, nor did the company im working for say that itd be a problem. Going to be a pain as ill have to find employment in the meantime, which is not going to be easy, fell ive been screwed over a bit!

Hi Kenny,

are you getting your visa through an agent, lots of people on here have their visa and are still serving, my Husband included, he hasn't signed off yet, will do this in the next couple of months. We did the visa process ourselves and DIAC accepted a letter of good conduct from Husbands CO as we didn't have any discharge certificate.

Sharon

With a letter from hubbies XO explaining about the 12 mnths notice and Jpa dates , all our docs met fine Kenny , hubby never put his notice in till we received the visa . He asked for early release too , which he got .

We got a Western australia State sponsor 176 they seemed fine with what he put .

What visa are you applying for ?

Guest Tony4052

Kenny

Ditto to what BD & Sharon have said. I received my 176 SS visa in June and then signed off. I still had over 3 years to serve under my current contract.

All I did was explain the T&C of my contract i.e 12 months notice and sent my CO copies from JPA regarding my contract.

Im applying for the 457. Just frustrating because i was told by the immigration company that it wouldnt be a problem if i could prove when my discharge date was, which i have! Think my next plan is to get my boss to write a letter explaining i am out and that i wont be called back during my termination leave etc, also have 3 months off with leave at the end but wont be earning any money during this time as i have to pay the air force back the bonus i had at 7 year point. Hopefully theyll see sense but doubt it, turning out to be a real pain! But on the plus side this site is fantastic for advise, thankyou!

Im applying for the 457. Just frustrating because i was told by the immigration company that it wouldnt be a problem if i could prove when my discharge date was, which i have! Think my next plan is to get my boss to write a letter explaining i am out and that i wont be called back during my termination leave etc, also have 3 months off with leave at the end but wont be earning any money during this time as i have to pay the air force back the bonus i had at 7 year point. Hopefully theyll see sense but doubt it, turning out to be a real pain! But on the plus side this site is fantastic for advise, thankyou!

Goodluck Kenny ! Hope your future brings you everything you want !

Brides :wubclub:

Guest guest24485

Hey Kenny

I found that I had to contact the Armed Forces reserves to get a letter from them saying my reserve period had been cancelled due to migration. Once I had that it was a little bit easier.

At least that way you can prove you have no further ties to the U.K Armed Forces.

Anyway, hurry up and get your arse out here. Give me somewhere else to visit on holiday mate.

If you need some help give us a shout and I will see what I can do.

Hi Kenny,

this only seems to be a problem for your immigration company, are you too firmly tied to them that you couldn't submit the application to DIAC yourself?

Sharon

Hi Kenny,

this only seems to be a problem for your immigration company, are you too firmly tied to them that you couldn't submit the application to DIAC yourself?

Sharon

Kind of, im waiting for an email off of them stating why they have to wait until i leave when others havent, then ill have to go from there. the advantage this way is that the company sponsoring me is paying for the whole process.

Monkey, you will be welcome to come down anytime mate!:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Right! Just an update and a warning for any other forces guys/dolls going down the same route!

I have been informed by the immigration company that my 457 application has been lodged ( i have checked the status online) BUT if the case officer wishes to do things by the book he/she does not have to give me a decision on the VISA until my official out date, that being the 12th of December. So i am now searching the internet daily for a job to do in the meantime! Be warned, you may not be able to apply, or be told of a decision on a 457 VISA until you are a civvy!! I hope that this helps a few people in the future as its causing me a HUGE bloomin headache.

Cheers guys,

Kenny :biggrin:

Hi Kenny,

I'm sure you'll be fine re DIAC, this is a copy of the request from my case officer, and hey presto we got our visa a couple of weeks later.

'Please provide a certified copy of your Military Discharge.

If xxxxxxxx is unable to obtain a military discharge certificate because he is still serving

in the armed forces, then a letter from his commanding officer attesting to xxxxxxx

character and also stating that he has not been convicted of any criminal offence during his time

in the military will be sufficient.'

Good luck,

Sharon

Hey sharon, tahnks for your reply. I have given immigration proof of my discharge but they said that the likelyhood is that the CO will not tell me until i am actually a civilian. Not sure why mines any different but apparently it is! So it was just a warning for any others going the same route that they may encounter this problem, so plan for it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived