ex forces/serving who are applying for a visa..Can be so complicated !

brideycollette

:wubclub:Hi I thought i would start this thread ...wasn't sure what to put in the title lol hope its ok

I just thought it would be a good place for ex/serving/forces peeps and spouses of course too.

To have a place where we could query .help ..other people ...or hear of other peoples experiances trying to get a visa and the complications of applying ie paperwork ... its so hard explaining to people outside of the forces the complications sometimes with paperwork .

:wubclub:ok my story we are trying to apply for a 176 we have WA SS and we have hit a brick wall because we have been told that a serving member of the forces can't usually get a visa becauase they have to prove they can migrate

freely .... depending what co you get:wideeyed: thought they all have to go by the same rules hmmmmm ........ problem is we all know we have to give 12 months notice :twitcy: and to put notice in before we are granted a visa would be totally nuts !

We are working on it with fellow pio ex/serving forces pio peeps ( have to thankyou you all you jumped to help us :hug:)

Anyhow i have talked to much now ...i'm not great at putting finger to keyboard ...so i hope you understand what i mean by this thread lol

Brides x

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if i can help as i too hit a brick wall this week thanks to our Case Officer (wonder if we have the same one) who isnt willing to accept the documents other have submitted and been successful.

But i am MORE than willing to help or advise what can be done, share an experience or just a simple ear to listen.

I will say though, hopefully i will have a way forward in the next few days so can share this and advise who/the office where that helpped.

Ex WAFU Pinky Tiff (CPO) did 24 yrs.

Hello,

I'm not going to be of much help, My OH left the Royal Marines 8 years ago and is now in civvy street. We are applying for a 176 GSM Family sponsored Visa. The only blip we have come across is that when they are asking you all the questions about Have you ever been convicted of a crime, Have you ever been refused a visa to any country. Then there is a question which says have you ever served in the Military!!! They say it like it's a bad thing..... Weird

Anyway I have friends who have just migrated to Adelaide her husband is in the British Army and transferred to the Australian Army.

Is there anyway that your Hubby can apply for a transfer to the Australian Navy. I'm Guessing your Navy due to Plymouth. My OH was based there for a while.

As I understand the migration rules you would have to be free of any armed services before you are free to migrate unless you are transferring to any Australian Armed Services.

My Friends also got there Visa after 10 weeks of applying as he had a job to go to.

Is that an option for you.

Sorry that I've not been much help.

Mandy

:eek:Gaz i so wish we had a co , we can't move forward to lodge our 176 paperwork ..because the agent is saying basically Oh needs to have a discharge date ... thanks for yr help

Hi Mandy its a catch 22 really because if we got our 176 then we would put in our notice and would be free to migrate

2009 we applied to Ran but they changed the list of trades boooo

OH XO is writing a letter for monday and going to whizz that to the agent on Monday and they are going to read it and see if it would help ..

Now i know of one person on here who has received a Co and their hubby is still serving ........

does anyone have a link to the migration rules where it states that about serving people .... ? ( i have tried to find it but lost lol )

think i might ring DIAC monday too

:arghh: since 2009 we have been doing this starting off doing a 175 ( modl) but that changed

:cute:off to search for a loophole now lol

Brides x

:eek:Gaz i so wish we had a co , we can't move forward to lodge our 176 paperwork ..because the agent is saying basically Oh needs to have a discharge date ... thanks for yr help

Hi Mandy its a catch 22 really because if we got our 176 then we would put in our notice and would be free to migrate

2009 we applied to Ran but they changed the list of trades boooo

OH XO is writing a letter for monday and going to whizz that to the agent on Monday and they are going to read it and see if it would help ..

Now i know of one person on here who has received a Co and their hubby is still serving ........

does anyone have a link to the migration rules where it states that about serving people .... ? ( i have tried to find it but lost lol )

think i might ring DIAC monday too

:arghh: since 2009 we have been doing this starting off doing a 175 ( modl) but that changed

:cute:off to search for a loophole now lol

Brides x

Hi,

Just spoke to my OH he said that three of his mates (still in contact) who were in the RM Band. Moved to Australia, All three had to give in and serve there notice before going to Australia and back then it was 18 months notice. All three had secured jobs with the Australian Navy Band and Australian Navy.

Not good news... Sorry.

I'm not sure if they were granted Visa's and then handed in there notice's.

It was about 10 years ago so I expect the rules were different then.

Good Luck

Mandy

Guest Ironduke

Hi - no doubt you have checked out the 'transferring from the RN to RAN' thread which is a great source of info for forces doing a lateral transfer.

This is an interesting problem because I can see why you have to be out of UK HM Forces before you can join their forces - but for a job in their civvy street? I mean, would they insist you left a civvy job in the UK before considering you? I suppose one difference may be that you need to put in 12 months notice, and the visa when granted doesn't last that long before you have to take it up, so if they granted you one before you left the forces it would expire before your notice period was up.

I know its slightly different for me but all of us at some point had to make the leap of faith and pay for a visa without actually knowing if it would be successful as the immy part is seperate from the forces part and one cannot influence the other.

In some ways your hubby is better off as he can take advantage of the labour market over there which in some cases pays far higher than the equivilent RAN pay - we all now have to commit to 6 years service.

Just remember to clear yourself of reserve service liability when you leave, you can find the contact details for the people who grant a waiver in the thread mentioned above (posted in the last month) because that will be asked for at some stage and it may be easier to get when you do your discharge routine.

All the Best

Hi - no doubt you have checked out the 'transferring from the RN to RAN' thread which is a great source of info for forces doing a lateral transfer.

This is an interesting problem because I can see why you have to be out of UK HM Forces before you can join their forces - but for a job in their civvy street? I mean, would they insist you left a civvy job in the UK before considering you? I suppose one difference may be that you need to put in 12 months notice, and the visa when granted doesn't last that long before you have to take it up, so if they granted you one before you left the forces it would expire before your notice period was up.

I know its slightly different for me but all of us at some point had to make the leap of faith and pay for a visa without actually knowing if it would be successful as the immy part is seperate from the forces part and one cannot influence the other.

In some ways your hubby is better off as he can take advantage of the labour market over there which in some cases pays far higher than the equivilent RAN pay - we all now have to commit to 6 years service.

Just remember to clear yourself of reserve service liability when you leave, you can find the contact details for the people who grant a waiver in the thread mentioned above (posted in the last month) because that will be asked for at some stage and it may be easier to get when you do your discharge routine.

All the Best

Thanks Ironduke ....yup POET isn't on the list anymore ...would of gone that way else lwith all of you lol .

I think we may tell agent to apply if they won't then we will ourselves and see what happens :wacko:

Thanks for the info about reserve liability ..will make sure he does that ..when the time comes

All the best to you too ..with the RAN

Hello,

I'm not going to be of much help, My OH left the Royal Marines 8 years ago and is now in civvy street. We are applying for a 176 GSM Family sponsored Visa. The only blip we have come across is that when they are asking you all the questions about Have you ever been convicted of a crime, Have you ever been refused a visa to any country. Then there is a question which says have you ever served in the Military!!! They say it like it's a bad thing..... Weird

Anyway I have friends who have just migrated to Adelaide her husband is in the British Army and transferred to the Australian Army.

Is there anyway that your Hubby can apply for a transfer to the Australian Navy. I'm Guessing your Navy due to Plymouth. My OH was based there for a while.

As I understand the migration rules you would have to be free of any armed services before you are free to migrate unless you are transferring to any Australian Armed Services.

My Friends also got there Visa after 10 weeks of applying as he had a job to go to.

Is that an option for you.

Sorry that I've not been much help.

Mandy

I think it asks if you have ever served in a military force or state sponsored militia :twitcy:

Only going for a 457 but when I got a WHVa few years back I just had to provide rank and details of training etc and a copy of discharge papers.

Why can you not just apply anyway, erm you're are paying the agent, tell them to submit it or your will do it yourself.

I know its difficult and our agent is not talking to DIAC over our issue, dispite me proving to them that others had been successful without the extra stuff my CO is asking for. Likewise i also asked if i had not served in the military and had worked for several civillian companies how would i have proved my conduct then, other than requesting referencies (which they already have) but that query went unanswered.

I know one on here printed of his TX date from JPA, not knowing you or your better half i dont know when his TX date is. Being a 40 year old POET i suspect he is a mech and either is or just about to start 2OE or Extended Career.

Another thing to think about, i was talking with others in work a couple of days ago and they were telling me that with the current redundency (signal due out 4th April i think) anyone wanting to do their 12 months and get out early will be sent on their way, quickly, thus saving money.

Has your hubby looked into his Resettlement Entitlement, believe me, your last 12 - 18 months goes sooooo quick its very hard to get the right courses in the area you want and the time you need it. Dont let him waste his resettlement for the sake of being professional, he will not get any thanks for it. I know, i did it and i have seen so many others, you have loyalty to your unit, ship, collegues, boss etc, so maintain professional right to the last day. BUT, BEWARE, your boss wont pay your mortgage when your gone and struggling to find the right job.

Why can you not just apply anyway, erm you're are paying the agent, tell them to submit it or your will do it yourself.

I know its difficult and our agent is not talking to DIAC over our issue, dispite me proving to them that others had been successful without the extra stuff my CO is asking for. Likewise i also asked if i had not served in the military and had worked for several civillian companies how would i have proved my conduct then, other than requesting referencies (which they already have) but that query went unanswered.

I know one on here printed of his TX date from JPA, not knowing you or your better half i dont know when his TX date is. Being a 40 year old POET i suspect he is a mech and either is or just about to start 2OE or Extended Career.

Another thing to think about, i was talking with others in work a couple of days ago and they were telling me that with the current redundency (signal due out 4th April i think) anyone wanting to do their 12 months and get out early will be sent on their way, quickly, thus saving money.

Has your hubby looked into his Resettlement Entitlement, believe me, your last 12 - 18 months goes sooooo quick its very hard to get the right courses in the area you want and the time you need it. Dont let him waste his resettlement for the sake of being professional, he will not get any thanks for it. I know, i did it and i have seen so many others, you have loyalty to your unit, ship, collegues, boss etc, so maintain professional right to the last day. BUT, BEWARE, your boss wont pay your mortgage when your gone and struggling to find the right job.

Thanks Gaz , on his jpa print out it has 2013 lol :arghh: but because he is over 40 he can put in his notice because his time has been done ... he has heard about maybe the early release but getting evidence to show Diac/Co would be hard at the mo .

Will tell the agent to lodge if not will take over myself

Brides :wubclub:

I think it asks if you have ever served in a military force or state sponsored militia :twitcy:

It says:

• served in a military force or state sponsored/private militia, undergone any military/paramilitary training, or been trained in weapons/explosives use (however described)?

To me Military Force

means any of the armed services, albeit Army, Navy and Airforce

We obviously ticked this box and added an explanation. Also my OH has been trained in weapons and explosives.

I understand that the later part of this question is directed at Militia members etc.

But we ticked it and answered fully as my OH has undergone military training.

We didn't see the point of not ticking the box when it could come back and bite us on the ass.

Our migration agents may not even include it in our application but we answered the questions how we read them.

Hi Brides,

I have a CO, hubby is still serving, out in AFGHAN at the mo. On the application form for Discharge date I put the date I was filling it in as he's obviously still in, my CO this week emailed this request

Evidence of Military Discharge for your spouse:

Please provide a certified copy of your Military Discharge.

If xxxxxx xxxxxx is unable to obtain a military discharge certificate because he is still serving

in the armed forces, then a letter from his commanding officer attesting to xxxxxx xxxxxxx's

character and also stating that he has not been convicted of any criminal offence during his time

in the military will be sufficient.

I've sent off the letter from his Boss, so hopefully we'll have good news soon.

Sharon

Hi Brides,

I have a CO, hubby is still serving, out in AFGHAN at the mo. On the application form for Discharge date I put the date I was filling it in as he's obviously still in, my CO this week emailed this request

Evidence of Military Discharge for your spouse:

Please provide a certified copy of your Military Discharge.

If xxxxxx xxxxxx is unable to obtain a military discharge certificate because he is still serving

in the armed forces, then a letter from his commanding officer attesting to xxxxxx xxxxxxx's

character and also stating that he has not been convicted of any criminal offence during his time

in the military will be sufficient.

I've sent off the letter from his Boss, so hopefully we'll have good news soon.

Sharon

Hi SHARON ! is he the main applicant ?

No, I am, do you think this makes the difference? Can't your agent put todays date on the application form like I did though?

Sharon

Not sure worth a try i guess ...... :wubclub: i suppose if yr OH has to validate as well at the same time as you and he will be still serving ........so shouldn't make a differance that my OH was the main applicant.

His XO is writing him a letter i will get him to put in the info you stated there

I'm hoping this is the way we can go !

Thanks Sharon

Brides x

Hi Brides,

I'm sure you'll be fine, DIAC don't expect civvies to be redundant before they can apply. I'm sure they appreciate that our home as well as income is usually included in the package of being in the forces, and why would we waste the visa fee if we weren't able to migrate!

Good luck

Sharon

Hi Brides,

I'm sure you'll be fine, DIAC don't expect civvies to be redundant before they can apply. I'm sure they appreciate that our home as well as income is usually included in the package of being in the forces, and why would we waste the visa fee if we weren't able to migrate!

Good luck

Sharon

Thanks Sharon ! Goodluck to you too

Brides x

Hi all

Reading with interest all the issues that have regarding if you have or are still serving.

I am a bit confused to where all this has came from as i am still serving and have got a CO and expect my 176 approved by the end of March, my 22 is not until june 2012.

I have salled through the whole military service area with no issues.

I gave my JPA print out and a letter from my OC which confirmed my 22 point.

All i had to do after that was get a letter from my CO stating that i escaped the long arm of the law for all this time and backed this up with Queens regs for the terminology used in the COs letter.

Also i have a friend who is not due out until 2013 who has his 176 approved already (Oct 10) and is validating this in the summer. Speaking to him he said when asked about his get out date he replied with a letter stating that he has to give a years notice to get out and if they think he is going to give notice to satisfy DIAC for a get out date they are mad if they think he is doing this, it all went smoothly for him also.

I believe that the majority of you have agents, please excuse me for this but i think they are a waste of money as i have done all this myself and read from time to time the moans from other members. i have breezed through the whole process without a hicup at all, just do my homework and seek advice from this forum.

Being in a unique world that civvies do not understand is the problem with your agents and them not understanding what we do and how we are managed?

Hope this helps some of you out.

Hi all

Reading with interest all the issues that have regarding if you have or are still serving.

I am a bit confused to where all this has came from as i am still serving and have got a CO and expect my 176 approved by the end of March, my 22 is not until june 2012.

I have salled through the whole military service area with no issues.

I gave my JPA print out and a letter from my OC which confirmed my 22 point.

All i had to do after that was get a letter from my CO stating that i escaped the long arm of the law for all this time and backed this up with Queens regs for the terminology used in the COs letter.

Also i have a friend who is not due out until 2013 who has his 176 approved already (Oct 10) and is validating this in the summer. Speaking to him he said when asked about his get out date he replied with a letter stating that he has to give a years notice to get out and if they think he is going to give notice to satisfy DIAC for a get out date they are mad if they think he is doing this, it all went smoothly for him also.

I believe that the majority of you have agents, please excuse me for this but i think they are a waste of money as i have done all this myself and read from time to time the moans from other members. i have breezed through the whole process without a hicup at all, just do my homework and seek advice from this forum.

Being in a unique world that civvies do not understand is the problem with your agents and them not understanding what we do and how we are managed?

Hope this helps some of you out.

:wubclub:Do you know what i could hug you lmao ( hope that didn't sound creepy lol )

:notworthy:ty !

Bridey

Just read your post complete (Wife told me i should)

I think you are doing the right thing in getting your OH boss to do a letter, i used my letter from my boss as a trade reference, and it just happened to validate my 22 point also.

Reading into it it appears that your agent needs to be told to do his job and do as you tell him as you are the PAYING customer (Excuse me again you may have noticed i do have a downer on agents!!!!).

Can i also suggest that you do letter yourself explaining about the years notice and you are not willing to give a date on the chance you might get a Visa and then add about as soon as it is approved you will give notice and mabye perhaps enhance it by stating you are aware of the 1 year validation time frame.

The COs are human and will understand you circumstances

Bridey

Just read your post complete (Wife told me i should)

I think you are doing the right thing in getting your OH boss to do a letter, i used my letter from my boss as a trade reference, and it just happened to validate my 22 point also.

Reading into it it appears that your agent needs to be told to do his job and do as you tell him as you are the PAYING customer (Excuse me again you may have noticed i do have a downer on agents!!!!).

Can i also suggest that you do letter yourself explaining about the years notice and you are not willing to give a date on the chance you might get a Visa and then add about as soon as it is approved you will give notice and mabye perhaps enhance it by stating you are aware of the 1 year validation time frame.

The COs are human and will understand you circumstances

Thank you ( thankyou to your wife to x)

Yer i am thinking that mayb i do the next part ( save money as well lol )

Because they sent me that email :wideeyed: frightened the hell out of me .... like hang on they can't expect us to give notice on the promise of a lottery win for a visa )

Thanks so much because your circ sounds so much like ours with the time done .

I can stop stressing now ... thankyou to everyone for your comments ..i really do apprieciate it lots :) :hug:

Bridey

Thought you were stuck with an agent initially, seems you may only be paying in stages?

If you are at the next stage, have a look at the 176 Visa application yourself, you can print it off if i remember correctly and then if you are confident with it do it yourself.

The reason why i am saying this is because you can upload all the documents yourself and have direct contact with your CO then liase directly explaining your circumstances without the message perhaps being lost sligtly via your agent who will not perhaps understand all that we do and how we work

Hope this makes sense