what was that added extra you think you did to secure a rental?

ozzbound

We are going back into the rental market as I am returning to study.

Anyway, what i was wondering is:

what was that extra information or what did you provide that you believe secured you that rental?

Message me if you want to keep it under your hat as any info will be appreciated :wink:

BTW we have previously rented and had our bond returned in full but the rental agent is on maternity leave so i am struggling to get a reference. I am going to phone them on Monday see what they can do.

Thankyou :wubclub:

We are going back into the rental market as I am returning to study.

Anyway, what i was wondering is:

what was that extra information or what did you provide that you believe secured you that rental?

Message me if you want to keep it under your hat as any info will be appreciated :wink:

BTW we have previously rented and had our bond returned in full but the rental agent is on maternity leave so i am struggling to get a reference. I am going to phone them on Monday see what they can do.

Thankyou :wubclub:

Hi Ozzbound,

We have scored 2 from 2 when it comes to rentals. The one we wanted in Melbourne, (The only one applied for) and the one we wanted in Mackay (Again, the only one we have applied for)

What we have found is to start chatting to the agent at the end when there are not many people around to interrupt. We have played dumb at every viewing - asked the same questions.

Oooh - this is a nice house - we are new in town, what is the process to apply? (Well practiced pommie accent :embarrassed:)

(Meanwhile - all docs and references lined up and ready to go if we decide that we do want the place)

What area do you live in?

OH works there, I work over there, considering that, would you think this house is right for us?

How long is the lease for? Ooh - that's nice and long - we're looking to stop moving around for a long time, that would be perfect!

We make it known that we still own and are letting out our property in the UK - can we use the estate agent there as a reference for us here? (Yes we know we can, but we get the point in..)

We did have quite a few dramas with our estate agent in Melbourne - the word useless comes to mind!! But they did eventually complete the form they had to and sent it back to the agent here.

We also always go in to the estate agent the following day with all the paperwork - ask for the person we saw the day before, try and have a conversation just so you stick in their mind.

Another point we make is that we need the place - how it is not the most fun being homeless (cue violins...)

Have to say I hate moving - loads of boxes and it takes months to find anything.

We move into our new place on Friday though - I get my comfy bed back :jiggy:

Good luck with the house hunting!!

:wubclub:

Thankyou so much Smirfyduo :wubclub:

I am hoping that the one we want to view may just be us and the estate agent so I can tick one thing from your list about chatting to the agent :wink:

We have been in Melbourne for 17 months and this will be our 3rd move not including the one to get here... now we just want a long term rental for a few years then see how we feel and what we will do next without any pressure to move again!

Will keep you updated and see if your excellent tactics work for me!!

Wish me luck! :biglaugh:

Thankyou so much Smirfyduo :wubclub:

I am hoping that the one we want to view may just be us and the estate agent so I can tick one thing from your list about chatting to the agent :wink:

We have been in Melbourne for 17 months and this will be our 3rd move not including the one to get here... now we just want a long term rental for a few years then see how we feel and what we will do next without any pressure to move again!

Will keep you updated and see if your excellent tactics work for me!!

Wish me luck! :biglaugh:

Good luck!!:wubclub:

we trawled around every Estate Agent in the area we were looking for one very rainy Saturday when we first got here. Most were out at Open Houses but all the receptionists assured us they would call us....only one did, he had a house coming up, new to rental market as had just been bought for that purpose.

Following advice on here, we had prepared a 'pack' about us, who we were, why we were here etc...nice tidy, well behaved children. A copy of Scott's job offer, a schedule for our nice house (still not sold :o( ) ,a letter from UK estate agent /solicitor. Bank statement for here, mortgage statement for UK. TFN.

Estate Agent said he was impressed with wht we had put together, we got to see house ,whilst owners were still in-situ (which they did not have to do ) and our entry date worked in perfectly with our short-term let finishing.

So I would advise that you 'sell' yourself as a tenant. Good luck!

Guest megapixel

The Property Manager is getting paid by the property owner 7-8% of the rent plus the first week's rent (usually) and for this they would like to do as little as possible. If you come across as unfussy, friendly and a cut above the other applicants, you will stand a good chance.

It can be difficult without rental history in Australia, so any references (character, professional or from renting in the UK) will help you over that hurdle.

Mhgs, the pack you suggest is a great idea - the owners of that house would have thought you were heaven-sent tenants!

Archived