Coastal Suburbs - In Melbourne Today

richselina

We're currently in Mount Martha visiting places to live when we move over this year and have so far visited:

Berwick, Cranbourne, Mount Martha, Mornington, Ringwood, Croydon and St Kilda and have drove through many more.....

We like Berwick and North Ringwood, but still think they are too far from the coast for us. While we both like Mount Martha it's too far to commute into the CBD.

We drove down the coast yesterday from St Kilda to Mount Martha and quite like Brighton, Black Rock and Beaumaris but the prices are too high for us. I've looked on the Real Estate website and can see some nice houses in Keysborough, Mentone and Dingley Village but not sure of the areas, so would like some thoughts on them.

We only have one day left here so need to make sure we focus on the right areas, so any comments on these areas along with other coastal suburbs would be most welcomed.

Our budget is between $5-700 and we are looking for a 4 bed modern house with good primary schooling nearby and a good commute into Melbourne.

Thanks for your help, Richard

I live in cranbourne east it's half an hour to a lovely litle beach at mt Eliza and about the same to the dandenongs best of both worlds and it's semi rural oh and not far to get ocean side. Towns anywhere from 40 Minutes to an hour. It's not got the best of names but seems fine and suits us. Berwick and narre warren are also nice on the m1 and you wouldn't have to change trains at dandenong on a late train back. I go through keys borough every day to get to work doesn't seem worth the money to me.

The peninsula link opens in a couple of years and isnt going to be a toll so mt martha isnt going to be too far out if you dont mind driving also might be worth considering Lang warren, Skye or at a push car rum as they're on it.

You will pay top dollar for most of the nice beach suburbs close to Melbourne. Parts of Frankston aren't too bad and it is much cheaper - some of it is rough but if you are careful you should get somewhere nice. Not too sure about Dingley- maybe it has improved but it used to be a bit rough .

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Richard

Mentone is nice, also look at Mordialloc and Aspendale, the Waterways etc. Personally I think there are nicer places that Keysborough. Did you look at Sandhurst, Lyndhurst, Lynbrook, all 10 minutes to the sea and train for the CBD.

For a good commute to the city I would look at the Home - Metlink - Your guide to public transport in Melbourne and Victoria the site gives you all the transport links and you can follow the lines out of the city and see how long it takes.

Closer to the city and the beach of course comes expensive. You could look at areas like Bentleigh, Moorabbin which are not that far from the beach but cheaper than Brighton and Beaumaris Black Rock etc. Also Cheltenham but make sure you check out the airport zone around Cheltenham as it can be noisy from Moorabbin Airport and houses in the zone tend to be cheaper

Dingley Village is a nice place, small area which has always been on the high price side. Keysborough is popular with people from the sub continent and may be too much of an ethnic mix also the houses are very expensive there these days.

Migrants tend to live in areas where there are other migrants from the same country of course second generation move on into the wider community.

Would give Waterways a miss in my opinion think its weird that estate surrounded by roads and next to heavy industrial. Also you cannot have cats there and hence there can be a rat problem at times. I guess I can remember what the land was before they built it and it was a swampy area.

You could also look in the western suburbs a lot of people are doing that these days mainly because its closer to the CBD.

Lots to look at and take your time. Some areas we initially like we do not like later on etc.

Archived