What to do with my old cat?

pandv_2000

I realise I am quite a way off but this issue bothers me.

We have an old cat (14 years) who does not travel well at all. It really stresses him out if he is in the car for 10 minutes - he generally poos and cries for the entire journey. I hate taking him anywhere and feel really sorry for him - I think a flight to Oz may be too much for him to handle.

I have also thought about rehoming him but he is a house cat and not really used to other people. He is ok with our little family and will generally accept strangers in our house but again if we take him anywhere he gets very stressed. My MIL looked after him once for us when we went away and he hissed at her all the time and pooed on top of her kitchen cupboards (not nice at all). she ended up putting him in a cattery which is what we do when we are away now but he doesn't settle, hisses at anyone who tries to go near him and is really unsettled when he comes home - this makes me think rehoming isn't an option and a month in quarantine would be a huge wrench for him too.

We love him and he is a big part of our family but I don't know what's best for him.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thanks in advance

I realise I am quite a way off but this issue bothers me.

We have an old cat (14 years) who does not travel well at all. It really stresses him out if he is in the car for 10 minutes - he generally poos and cries for the entire journey. I hate taking him anywhere and feel really sorry for him - I think a flight to Oz may be too much for him to handle.

I have also thought about rehoming him but he is a house cat and not really used to other people. He is ok with our little family and will generally accept strangers in our house but again if we take him anywhere he gets very stressed. My MIL looked after him once for us when we went away and he hissed at her all the time and pooed on top of her kitchen cupboards (not nice at all). she ended up putting him in a cattery which is what we do when we are away now but he doesn't settle, hisses at anyone who tries to go near him and is really unsettled when he comes home - this makes me think rehoming isn't an option and a month in quarantine would be a huge wrench for him too.

We love him and he is a big part of our family but I don't know what's best for him.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thanks in advance

:eek:you could be talking about my cat ! I can't help with suggestions .

We have said as long as the vet says she is healthy to fly ( thats if she hasn't sliced the vet in two before then lol ) we would take her .

:sad:It is awful trying to do what is best for the cats . What we are going to do is put her in a cattery a few times in the Uk and see how she goes :wubclub:

Hope somone can put your mind at rest

Brides x

Ours are not quite that bad, but neither has ever liked the car. One meows all the way anywhere and the other hyperventilates. They are 8 and 12. We did think about the travelling for them, but thought more of the final destination. We knew it would be tough but did it; leaving them was unthinkable. The pet shipping company were very sympathetic and I also spoke to the quarantine station. Both were helpful and said cats usually just curl up and sleep for the journey. They do spray a feramone on the travelling cage to help them relax. Most arrive at quarantine vocal, but unscathed. Our boys were not best pleased with us when we visited them in quarantine (even less so to be left there) and still didn't like us much when we brought them to their new home. But we are a month further down the line and they are doing well - back to normal and seem to be enjoying it. They love us again.

thanks guys - I think I'll see what the vet says. My Mum told me to have him put to sleep! That is seriously NOT an option - should I have my Mum put to sleep because I can't take her!!!!!

Now there's an idea!

Ping Pommer

Guest Annette from the forest

BRING HIM! I have an old ginger tom who was a stray and adopted me a couple of years before I came to Oz. The only time I ever took him to the vet he escaped in the car and raced around and around. I wasn't going to bring him but another of my cats died suddenly before coming so the tom took his place. The firm I used were great with him. They came to me to do the vet checks and he was darling with them and they got him in his cage with no fuss. He struggled to get out but the cage was very sturdy and he was safe. Once he was at quarantine he settled quickly and soon became a favourite with his carers. He has been here 8 months now and has settled easily . He spends his days snoozing in the sun , growing fat and has become even more affectionate than he was. I am so glad I didn't rehome him and leave him behind. Yes, I was worried about him but the people who will be dealing with your cat are professionals and will treat him with the utmost care. Absolutely , bring him!

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a similar situation, but my cat is much older at 19!

I have lived in Australia before, but left him at home with mum while I was away. He did pine for me, so when I moved back to the UK he came to live with me. That was a 6 hour journey last summer and he was sedated as he does not travel well. He is now suffering with bad arthritis.

We are in the process of deciding whether to return to Australia but I know I can't take him with me due to his age - he would just find it all far too stressful and I would hate for him to die in quarantine and not spend his last days feeling loved. I don't like the thought of waiting for him to die before I leave the country, there is something wrong with that! Some days I don't think he's got much longer left, but then sometimes I think he could be super-cat and live until 24!

I know if push came to shove my mum would take him back, but I missed him so much last time I was in Oz and don't want to leave him again. I guess we'll just have to take the days as they come.

Archived