xtra baggage allowance for flight??

Guest CATH1974

Guest CATH1974

Hi does anyoneknow if you are entitled to xtra baggage allowance for migration?

We are booked to fly out 3/9/07, my hubby, me , my 8yr old and my 1yr old. We booked flights 2 months ago through first choice holidays, and explained that we were migrating, after a couple of weeks I rang them to ask about bag allowance as i was told we might get xtra, to photocopy our visas and they would apply for it. We waited and waited, I contacted FirstChoice again who claimed that yes we had upto 30kilos each but they didnt have it in writing yet, so we shipped our furniture and belongings 3 weeks ago. I went into the travel agents last week to confirm and they said that NO we weren't entitled to it, we should have asked at the time of booking, the manager was unaware of migration bag allowance (and he has been in the business for 15 yrs!)

We fly in 2 weeks time and have more than 20 kilos each, the airline charges £32 per kilo xtra! I asked my shipping company who said min charge of £310,

Does anyone know are we entitled to this or not?

very frustrated!

CATH:arghh:

We booked our flights directly through emirates following a link on moving planet.net. We were entitle to claim extra luggage but had to send via fax or email a copy of the details and visa pages in our passports. We sent an email with the copies as an attachment and a covering email stating that we were claiming our extra baggage. When Michael collected the ticket the lady at the emirates office confirmed that yes we had our extra allowance. I think, unfortunately, that you needed to ask for the extra allowance when you were making the booking. Which airline are you flying with? Contacting them might help.

Felicity:wubclub:

Guest CATH1974

Hi, its cathay pacific, and I think I should have asked at time of booking, but didn't realise that we might getit til 5th July, 2 weeks later, their customer services said to photocopy visa pages and that they would apply for it, that was 6 weeks ago, I hadnt heard anything so I called into the shop, who knew nothing about it and they did wonder why they had a photocopy of our visas in their file!If they could have told me a little sooner I could have chucked a few more boxes into the container.They had never heard of this before.

never mind, our suitcases will be very full!

Cath x

• 7 months later...
Guest Edinburgh to Sydney

Hi All

i tryed with 4 airlines and they all said no to me on a 457 visa. See info below from singapour airlines.

Our policy for excess baggage allowance is only for passengers travelling on a visa that states indefinite or permanent stay, well in your case your visa clearly states that it is only for 4 years which does not qualify for the double baggage allowance.

Any extra baggage allowance given over the 20kg will be at the discretion of the airport check-in staff.

:sad:

Guest JoanneHattersley

we got 2 bags each at 32kg per bag so total of 64kg per person.

Thats standard with Air NZ

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Cath

Speak with Cathay Pacific and blame the whole thing on the travel agent. My mother is very old and is wheelchair bound. We always use Singapore Airlines for her. Time and again we have asked Travel Agents to make SURE they book the SA "Meet & Assist" service for Mum. Time & again they have sworn they have done so. We have arrived at the airport with Mum to discover that the Travel Agent has not done a thing. Singapore Airlines told me gloomily that Travel Agents never do bother to contact them in advance about passengers with special needs. Then the passenger complains because specially-ordered kosher meals or whatever are not aboard because the Agent didn't bother to order them. Time & again we have booked Mum's flights through Travel Agents, then phoned Singapore Airlines ourselves and sure enough, they have been told nothing about Mum's special needs.

I'm sure that this happens with all the airlines. I think Cathay are quite likely to be understanding and sympathic.

If they really can't or won't help, ask them to put you thrugh to Cathay Freight. Sending unacompanied bags is quite a bit cheaper than the excess baggage rate.

Good luck & best wishes

Gill

Guest Kieran

Cath,

Be really careful with Cathay Pacific, they are not v helpful as I've had friends fly with them to Oz before. I suggest you get a price on putting all the non-essential items into a trunk a ship it out; its far better and at least then you know you won't have to pay for excess.

The most accomodating carrier I have found is Virgin, they will help every step of the way and I hope to fly with them when I go back (fingers & toes crossed.)

Hope it all works out well for you and safe travelling.

K:smile:

Archived