Leaving sponsored state before two years commitment to live has been completed

Guest readysteadies

Guest readysteadies

Hi there

We are currently waiting to hear back from our state sponsorship application to Victoria. We applied 7 weeks ago (29th Dec 10). We are hoping to apply for a permanent skilled visa as my husband is a carpenter with his skills assessment due next week.

We wanted to move to Perth, WA, however, due to the points system changing in July and my husband turning 40 in May of this year, the WA SS process would have taken too long and we'd have lost precious points.

Our immigration consultant recommended that we apply for SS to Vic as they have a faster thurnaround time and then at least we would gain entry into the country, even if it isn't the state we wanted to live in. The risk we would take is not getting into Oz at all.

My questions to you are:

• If we moved to Vic, do we have to stay there for two years or is this just a moral obligation as I've heard people say?
  • If my husband were to be offered a job in Perth, WA, despite having looked for work in Vic, could we inform the relevant bodies that we were moving states without jeopordising our permanent visa?
  • Could they force us to stay in Vic as this would effectively be making my husband unemployed?!
  • Also, and the most important question, if we did move states early, would this affect the possibility of us sponsoring my parents and sister in the future? For example, would it mean we have a negative record with the immigration dept?

We'd really appreciate any help or advice you can give us. Thanks!

Guest The Joker

The advice I was given (albeit 8 years ago now) was that the skilled sponsor visa was a way of states working out what skills they were in need of and helping people migrate to fill those skills gaps. So each state would have an ever changing list of required skills. However, if you were successful in getting a visa in, say, Victoria, once you landed in that state and had your visa validated there was nothing to stop you from flying out and working in another state the very next day. You might want to ask your agent whether this is still the case. For us, we got the visa for Queensland, came here and never went anywhere else. Immigration are only concerned with the national border, not state borders.

Guest readysteadies

Thanks so much for your reply. Everyone seems to say the same thing, just doesn't feel right to accept a job in another state when we made a commitment, but I'm sure this has happened many times before. Thanks again!

Guest andy1865

Hi, we are hopefully going to Adelaide this year and waiting for our medical results to come back, I have done the test last year for the 176 carpenter sponsor sa, tell your husband the exam is straight forward and just take his time with everything, I took mine in Glasgow which was a 250 mile drive then to spend all day and drive home was awful to be honest as my brain just wouldn't work but I got through it some how, as a sponsord visa I was told by my consultant I have to stay in sa for 2 years as we have gone for full resident visa, once you have been there 2 years you can go anywhere in oz but if you decide to move on you will have to do all the necessary paperwork and start again, most of the allocated places are gone now for this year and they are making things harder to get in, Medical's have just cost up 825 for 2 adults and a 13 year old, how far have you got with it all, do you have a consultant to help you out, mine Is really good and helpful so if you get stuck I can send you her number, good luck with it all.

Andy

Guest readysteadies
Hi, we are hopefully going to Adelaide this year and waiting for our medical results to come back, I have done the test last year for the 176 carpenter sponsor sa, tell your husband the exam is straight forward and just take his time with everything, I took mine in Glasgow which was a 250 mile drive then to spend all day and drive home was awful to be honest as my brain just wouldn't work but I got through it some how, as a sponsord visa I was told by my consultant I have to stay in sa for 2 years as we have gone for full resident visa, once you have been there 2 years you can go anywhere in oz but if you decide to move on you will have to do all the necessary paperwork and start again, most of the allocated places are gone now for this year and they are making things harder to get in, Medical's have just cost up 825 for 2 adults and a 13 year old, how far have you got with it all, do you have a consultant to help you out, mine Is really good and helpful so if you get stuck I can send you her number, good luck with it all.

Andy

Thanks Andy, much appreciated.

Yes we do have a consultant but he is very loathed to advise us on moving states once we get there. I can understand this from a professional point of view but he did say they can't take our perm visa away from us if we did move before the two years was up.

So far we have applied for state sponsorship (7 weeks ago), skills assessment booked for next week then once/if we receive sponsorship and he passes the assessment we will lodge our visa application end of March.

Our good friends very recently moved to Perth and there is a job offer for my husband which is why I am asking these questions about moving states. I know this can't be done before we get there but I was told we could continue to go to Vic, see if we can get work, but if my husband decides to take the job in Perth then there's nothing legally stopping us.

My main worry is that we won't be able to sponsor my parents or sister if this move goes against us on our immigration record - my family are also going to Oz but on different visas and so will eventally need us to sponsor them for permanent residency.

Guest andy1865

Hi again, we had decided to go to Perth when we first started but then I got a job offer in Adelaide so we changed before it was 2 late, it was harder to sort it for sa but that's where we wanted to go so put up with all the paper work, good luck with it all and be patient as its took 2 years so far because they keep changing there point system, was a shock to be honest in Jan to here from them wanting our Medical's booked in and they give us 3 weeks to do it or we would not get the allocation, keep plenty money put away as things just keep coming up.

Guest readysteadies

Best of luck to you too, hope the medicals are all ok. My husband is pretty nervous about the skills assessment, he has recently been on a roofing course to refresh himself, and will be practising the saw horse this weekend! What did you have to do in your exam? Was the technical interview difficult? Cheers.

Guest andy1865

Thanks you too, tell him to not worry about anything if he is a joiner/carpenter he will be fine, i put my self under a lot of pressure doing the course but it is quite easy to be honest, i am multiskilled which didn't go in my favour as they either do carpentry or joinery which over hear we mix bits together so there is always going to be something we haven't done, there is about 5 in a class and it is a little unnerving as you can't really talk while doing the tests, but just take his time there is no rush to finish as i was the last one out after making silly mistakes, my first task was the saw horse which i finished in about 40 min while everyone else was still cutting wood up (had to cut by hand) the examiner came up to me looked at it and said, I'll allow you 1 mistake today now look at it and you tell me if its correct, oh poo i did the angles wrong because i rushed to get it done, he let me start again and i was still faffing around with it when everyone had moved on to there next project, that's where i just panicked and thought my head was going to explode to the point he had to get me some pain killers, i thought i had blown it from then and it didn't get any better that morning so by dinner break i just felt ill and really annoyed at my self, after talking through it with the lads who was there at dinner break i felt a bit better and just took my time, tell him don't worry if he does it wrong don't try fix or bodge it just ask for another piece of wood. right well this is what i can remember, cut a few angles from plans (easy) make the saw horse (some of the angles tricky but read your plans a few times and its steady away) make a haunched mortice & tenon (easy) they will then take you into a room and with machines and ask you to work about 3 of them then ask you a few questions about safety( dead easy if you have used big machines but if not just use common sense and be over safe) last of all we had to draw a full size door showing all the joints and window size, i got this wrong a few times but you have a rubber so just rectify any mistakes and again don't rush they will not pressure you at all. that's about it really, steady away wins the day ;-) they are there to help you so if you don't understand it just ask. Oh there is a paper with loads of questions on things and you have to get a percentage right, if he is not sure on some of them leave it till after the machine room as you will get the answers of the instructor so pay attention to what he says. as in tools, a cordless drill a new saw sliding bevel even a bit of sand paper to tweak some of the joints up. all your work has you name on and it is then checked by someone else so don't think if he passes it that is the end, 1 lad had finished by 1 30 and me and another guy where there till about 4 45. just remember they are there to pass you so take time and i hope it goes ok for you. wow my fingers are numb after that lot :-)

Guest readysteadies
Thanks you too, tell him to not worry about anything if he is a joiner/carpenter he will be fine, i put my self under a lot of pressure doing the course but it is quite easy to be honest, i am multiskilled which didn't go in my favour as they either do carpentry or joinery which over hear we mix bits together so there is always going to be something we haven't done, there is about 5 in a class and it is a little unnerving as you can't really talk while doing the tests, but just take his time there is no rush to finish as i was the last one out after making silly mistakes, my first task was the saw horse which i finished in about 40 min while everyone else was still cutting wood up (had to cut by hand) the examiner came up to me looked at it and said, I'll allow you 1 mistake today now look at it and you tell me if its correct, oh poo i did the angles wrong because i rushed to get it done, he let me start again and i was still faffing around with it when everyone had moved on to there next project, that's where i just panicked and thought my head was going to explode to the point he had to get me some pain killers, i thought i had blown it from then and it didn't get any better that morning so by dinner break i just felt ill and really annoyed at my self, after talking through it with the lads who was there at dinner break i felt a bit better and just took my time, tell him don't worry if he does it wrong don't try fix or bodge it just ask for another piece of wood. right well this is what i can remember, cut a few angles from plans (easy) make the saw horse (some of the angles tricky but read your plans a few times and its steady away) make a haunched mortice & tenon (easy) they will then take you into a room and with machines and ask you to work about 3 of them then ask you a few questions about safety( dead easy if you have used big machines but if not just use common sense and be over safe) last of all we had to draw a full size door showing all the joints and window size, i got this wrong a few times but you have a rubber so just rectify any mistakes and again don't rush they will not pressure you at all. that's about it really, steady away wins the day ;-) they are there to help you so if you don't understand it just ask. Oh there is a paper with loads of questions on things and you have to get a percentage right, if he is not sure on some of them leave it till after the machine room as you will get the answers of the instructor so pay attention to what he says. as in tools, a cordless drill a new saw sliding bevel even a bit of sand paper to tweak some of the joints up. all your work has you name on and it is then checked by someone else so don't think if he passes it that is the end, 1 lad had finished by 1 30 and me and another guy where there till about 4 45. just remember they are there to pass you so take time and i hope it goes ok for you. wow my fingers are numb after that lot :-)

Wow! Thanks so much Andy, that was really helpful and very honest too! My husband is also a Carpenter and Joiner like you so is in the same boat. I'm so pleased that you passed - well done! Onward and upward now then! They say it will take 10 working days to get the results of the skills test so hopefully we should know by early March if he passed or not!

Keep us posted on the medicals, I really hope they don't expect us to get our in 3 weeks, I'm 17 weeks pregnant so they'll have to wait until I can have a chest x-ray after the baby is born! This whole process is one headache after another, but I am certain it will all be worth it!

Guest andy1865

Thanks and i hope it all goes well for you both, i logged on to a site yesterday called poms in Adelaide and as that is the place we are going its really interesting to hear from ppl that's done it and how they feel so you may want to check to see if there is one for your area, to be honest since i had the medical and feel its so close my belly's doing summer salts and haven't felt this in the last 2 years building up to it so its probably cos i know its going to actually happen and also the fact that the houses over there at the moment are so expensive to rent and buy at around 4 t 500 dollars a week so not really impressed with it right now, they are going through the property boom we did around 3 years ago and with ours dropping its going to be tough unless you have plenty equity or saving, we thought we would have 35k when we left after selling the house as we started this two & a half years ago but now it looks like around 5k if lucky, oh well sorry to be so negative and i'm sure it has to be better than this place so just have to work hard and see what happens, keep in touch and let me know how your fella gets on and wish him good luck, trust me he will fly through it, h also if he is going to try the saw horse it will not be the same sort of plans and funny angle but practise cutting wood by hand on a few different angles nice and square as that will come in useful, if he's like me i use any bit of powertool and chop saw ect as they are quick and more practice but if it is like my test its all by hand.

Andy

sorry one last thing, i use mitre fix a lot as do various angle framing and found this really helped as they pull on the joints you make to see if there loose, think mine was the only one that didn't come apart, can't understand why ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest readysteadies
Thanks and i hope it all goes well for you both, i logged on to a site yesterday called poms in Adelaide and as that is the place we are going its really interesting to hear from ppl that's done it and how they feel so you may want to check to see if there is one for your area, to be honest since i had the medical and feel its so close my belly's doing summer salts and haven't felt this in the last 2 years building up to it so its probably cos i know its going to actually happen and also the fact that the houses over there at the moment are so expensive to rent and buy at around 4 t 500 dollars a week so not really impressed with it right now, they are going through the property boom we did around 3 years ago and with ours dropping its going to be tough unless you have plenty equity or saving, we thought we would have 35k when we left after selling the house as we started this two & a half years ago but now it looks like around 5k if lucky, oh well sorry to be so negative and i'm sure it has to be better than this place so just have to work hard and see what happens, keep in touch and let me know how your fella gets on and wish him good luck, trust me he will fly through it, h also if he is going to try the saw horse it will not be the same sort of plans and funny angle but practise cutting wood by hand on a few different angles nice and square as that will come in useful, if he's like me i use any bit of powertool and chop saw ect as they are quick and more practice but if it is like my test its all by hand.

Andy

sorry one last thing, i use mitre fix a lot as do various angle framing and found this really helped as they pull on the joints you make to see if there loose, think mine was the only one that didn't come apart, can't understand why ;-)

Hi Andy

Just thought I'd let you know my husband completed the skills assessment and has just found out he passed! All we have to do now is wait for the state sponsorship to come through and then we can apply for our visa. Thanks so much for your advice, it really helped.

How are things your end?

Vicky

Guest readysteadies

Hi there

I spoke with my migration agent yesterday and he recommended ENS but I don't know what is involved with this kind of visa. Do you? I think he said it meant obtaining a 3 year contract from an employer but this isn't possible as the job my husband has been offered is on a self employed basis.

We heard from Victoria yesterday after 10 weeks, saying thanks for the application and as we are applying through their skilled migration programme they need my husband to have completed a skills assessment therefore they would keep the application open for 3 months so that he can get the AQF cert. Luckily he's just passed so we scanned a copy to them yesterday and await their response. Apparently they're inundated with applications as they were the only state (I think) that were accepting sponsorship applications without a skills assessment. They told us it would take 12 weeks, so we'll see if they stick to that or not!

17 weeks?! Blimey, you must be getting fed up now!! These things take so long don't they?!

Archived