Are agents necessary?

chiara

This may be a stupid question, but I'm wondering if an agent is necessary. Am I right in thinking that you can make your visa application directly through the government website? And if so, what is the benefit of using an agent? This is all very new and confusing and I'm trying to figure out what to do first. It seems that dh qualifies for a 175 visa so if we make the application now, how long should the whole process take and also, are you guaranteed getting the visa? Questions questions....:wacko:

This may be a stupid question, but I'm wondering if an agent is necessary. Am I right in thinking that you can make your visa application directly through the government website? And if so, what is the benefit of using an agent? This is all very new and confusing and I'm trying to figure out what to do first. It seems that dh qualifies for a 175 visa so if we make the application now, how long should the whole process take and also, are you guaranteed getting the visa? Questions questions....:wacko:

It isn't necessary but sometimes having an agent can be helpful, particularly if the changing immigration laws are likely to impact your application. I'm from a high risk country, so having an agent has helped me because they keep me more or less informed. I say more or less, because they only send me information when it directly concerns my application. I don't usually get the type of immigration gossip I get on this forum unless I ask them.

They can be expensive though, especially if there is work that falls outside of the contract.

Thanks Reg. I'm not sure what issues or problems could arise. Does being eligible for a visa necessarily mean you'll get it or are there other factors at play? I don't anticipate problems since we're Irish but perhaps I'm completely wrong....

Thanks Reg. I'm not sure what issues or problems could arise. Does being eligible for a visa necessarily mean you'll get it or are there other factors at play? I don't anticipate problems since we're Irish but perhaps I'm completely wrong....

There's always uncertainty because of changing factors - a bit like surgery. However, if you meet all the requirements then you should be set.

Also for instance, you might be eligible but if it takes too long then you could consider something else. I don't know much about the visa you are applying for but you might have to wait a few years in the pipeline.

Guest siamsusie
Really? I was told by an agent in Ireland that it would take 2 months!! Hmm...might need to consult an agent all the same just to get all the facts....
Hi Chiara,

Maybe with a 457 you could be looking at a shorter time frame, as a previous poster stated it is dependent on the type of visa you are looking for.

If I were looking for an agent, I would ensure they were Mara Registered also..

https://www.mara.gov.au/

Maybe shop around, get some prices and the "feel factor"...

Despite you being in Ireland there is nothing stopping you appointing an agent here in Australia and you will find many come highly recommended on Poms In Oz.

Good Luck

Susie x:wubclub:

Really? I was told by an agent in Ireland that it would take 2 months!! Hmm...might need to consult an agent all the same just to get all the facts....

Sneak sneaky...

It might take 2 months to put your application together but 2 years to get your residency approved. Especially if you are offshore.

Spend a bit more time on the forums here and you'll see there are a lot of Brits frustrated with the immigration here because they have been waiting for a long time.

Unless, you are state sponsored, etc. I don't know what your occupation is though, so it depends on that as well.

Guest Magnetic6

Research, research, research is the way to go! Have a really thorough read of the DIAC website at all the visa types and that you meet all the necessary requirements.

Post your queries on here and you'll normally get a pretty prompt reply. If you still feel uncertain contact an agent.

Personally if your case is straightforward i'd save your money. I did my visa application myself online and i'm the most computer illiterate person i know and it was easy enough.

Good luck.

Hi Joanne

We are living in the UAE at present with our 5 kids. My husband is a qualified engineer and works as a construction manager. It seems he qualifies for a 175 skilled worker visa as he's an engineer. From looking at magnetic6's timeline, the whole process took 4 months which isn't too bad and that is the same visa. My husbands job here in the uae is extremely volatile so we really want to get out soon.

And siamsusie, thanks for that advice, will check out that link. I know I need to do more reading on this thing but it's pretty overwhelming all the different visas and advice....

Yes you can do the application yourself many people do very successfully.

However a lot depends on your particular situation, the type of job you do (some people have found their current job doesnt fit neatly into one of the categories for a visa and get help from an agent as to which skill to nominate and which visa they are eligible for). If you are good at filling in forms and going through all the detail then you may well not need an agent but some people find the whole process very daunting and if they are coming up for a critical birthday which may mean they no longer qualify for a visa or the class of visa they want having someone to ensure that everything is done right first time can be a boon.

You though will have to do all the running around anyway - collecting up documents, birth certificates, marriage certificates, trade certificates etc etc so if you are thinking of making the move now is the time to start collecting all that together.

As already said research research research and ask questions on the site cause there is a lot of great information.

No eligible for a visa does not mean you will always get the visa - the skills in demand list keeps changing for one thing so whilst when you start the process your skill might be in demand by the time you come to apply it may be less of a priority or no longer required, then there are health issues or character issues which may see your visa refused. Not sure of other reasons.

2 months - impossible unless you are looking at getting an employer sponsored visa. You still need to get your skills assessed and that can take a while to be approved. Certain trades need to do a practical test as well so then there is the issue of booking of the test and when that is available. Plus the whole processing bit takes a long time - check out the DIAC website it will give you current processing times which will give you a better idea as to what lodgement dates are currently being processed.

Be careful with your agent!!! If you decide to use on make sure they are MARA registered and find out one that has been used by other forumites with success. There are many dodgy "agents" who set up businesses and promise the most wonderful service but all they do is take your money and leave you with a mess to clean up.

Guest Magnetic6

Excellent post Zoot!

Chiara i wouldn't necessarily go off my timeline, i'm a midwife and was on the critical skills list and DIAC were flying through applications at the time. Always keep an eye on the DIAC website as they are renowned for making sudden changes.

I would say that if your application is pretty straight forward, then yes, do it yourself....However, if like our application, it is a little more complicated, then the help & advice of an agent is invaluable :yes:

I am now applying for my Daughters child visa & as you can imagine, its pretty straightforward, so I am doing it myself & so far, its all been pretty easy :wink: I did ask a few agents how much they would charge to help & it was $1000 plus!!! :swoon:

<snip>

This is all very new and confusing and I'm trying to figure out what to do first. It seems that dh qualifies for a 175 visa so if we make the application now, how long should the whole process take and also, are you guaranteed getting the visa? Questions questions....:wacko:

I suggest that these are good reasons for engaging a competent migration advisor ...

Best regards.

Archived