Queensland climate??

siliisobel

Hi all

Im new to this and looking at moving to Queensland. I wonder if you could give me a bit of inside info on the weather?

What are the winters like and how cold does it get?? If at all?? Also is it humid or dry? and most importantly - are there any mosquitos?? :eek:

Thanks guys!!

Hi all

Im new to this and looking at moving to Queensland. I wonder if you could give me a bit of inside info on the weather?

What are the winters like and how cold does it get?? If at all?? Also is it humid or dry? and most importantly - are there any mosquitos?? :eek:

Thanks guys!!

G'day mate, depends entirely on where one wants to settle. Queensland is roughly 7 times the size of the UK and and ranges from cool to cold winters in the Granite belt (Stanthorpe area) to warm to hot winters in the far north.

The interior (western Queensland) can get very cold in winter, I have seen frosts in the backblocks. Indeed, in the Pioneer Valley behind Mackay (tropical), a few hundred acres of sugar cane was frost damaged.

Humid areas are the coastal strip, dry areas are west of the Great Dividing Ranges, generally.

Mossies...lots of 'em, even out in the semi desert areas along the waterholes.

But, all in all, it is great state.icon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Whats the true situation with the rain mate, i know this year as been different, but in general, how much does it rain, one week in a row, two weeks, a month, or is it haphazard. One minute we hear about droughts and then its rain for ages. Whats a usual year like, by each month?

Whats the true situation with the rain mate, i know this year as been different, but in general, how much does it rain, one week in a row, two weeks, a month, or is it haphazard. One minute we hear about droughts and then its rain for ages. Whats a usual year like, by each month?

G'day mate, difficult to say...Mackay Average is about 70 inches.Last year (2010) we had 148 inches rain and that fell in 186 days... 2009 we had 48 inches and 100 consecutive days with not a raindrop!

The first year in Qld was average (70 inches) The next 9 years were dry and averaged 49 inches.

Generally, in the north, it rains in summer, (Dec-March) aka The Wet. The Dry is May to Sept, Oct-Nov. has a few thunder storms.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
G'day mate, difficult to say...Mackay Average is about 70 inches.Last year (2010) we had 148 inches rain and that fell in 186 days... 2009 we had 48 inches and 100 consecutive days with not a raindrop!

The first year in Qld was average (70 inches) The next 9 years were dry and averaged 49 inches.

Generally, in the north, it rains in summer, (Dec-March) aka The Wet. The Dry is May to Sept, Oct-Nov. has a few thunder storms.

Cheers, Bobj.

The next 9 years were dry and averaged 49 inches.

49 inches, is that alot?

Doesn't seem that much over an whole year and for 9 years.:biggrin:

The next 9 years were dry and averaged 49 inches.

49 inches, is that alot?

Doesn't seem that much over an whole year and for 9 years.:biggrin:

It is just over half when the annual average is 70 inches.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

As Bob says, it depends on where you are in Queensland. In Brisbane area, we usually get some nights in winter that go down to about 6 or 7 degrees. That is pretty warm in comparison to UK winter lows but the houses here are not always designed for cooler temperatures so you may find that you feel the cold more than you expect. For me, winter is the most pleasant time, usually drier and more comfortable than other seasons, good for getting outdoors. It does get very humid here in the wet season. We get plenty of storms, not all as dramatic as those you will have read about this week of course. When it rains, it really rains. There are loads of mozzies and other insects, you learn to deal with them to some extent though.

Heh mate,

As others have said qld is a big place so it helps to be more specific.

When it rains here in Brisbane it often buckets down as it is summer sub-tropical rain. So rainfalls totals can be misleading as it chucks all the rain down quickly. We usually get very little winter rain.

The weather is both humid and non-humid. We have months and months of dry warm (but not too warm) non humid weather. Probably more than most capitals. And then in summer it is on and off humid and sometimes too humid.

Here is the official rain stats for each month from official Bureau of Meteorology site.

132 year stats - Brisbane Regional Office weather station.

Mean Rainfall Days Per Month (>=1mm)

Jan 8.4

Feb 8.8

Mar 9.4

Apr 6.8

May 5.8

Jun 4.5

Jul 4.2

Aug 4.0

Sep 4.4

Oct 5.9

Nov 6.5

Dec 7.7

As you can see the rainfall drops off dramatically in winter (Jun-Aug). Though cold at night, during the day we have long periods of dry, non humid, clear blue sunny days throughout autumn, winter and early spring. Every month of the year has an average maximum temperature in the 20's (celcius). The weather then is usually really great. Many southern cities suffer through a cold wet winter during this time. We don't. Our temperatures vary a lot less than more temperate climates. We don't get the temperature extremes any where near as often.

On the downside our worst season is summer as it is sometimes too humid. So it depends if you would rather your worst season to be cold and rainy or your worst season to be humid and stormy.

Hi guys, thanks for all the info!

We are planning on moving to Emerald. I think i can cope with the weather but the mozzies im not too sure....:wideeyed: do they carry any diseases out there or are they just a nuisance?

Im sure I will get used to them....eventually. What other critters am I likely to come across? I dont really mind spiders but I have only experienced tiddlers in the UK..

Hi guys, thanks for all the info!

We are planning on moving to Emerald. I think i can cope with the weather but the mozzies im not too sure....:wideeyed: do they carry any diseases out there or are they just a nuisance?

Im sure I will get used to them....eventually. What other critters am I likely to come across? I dont really mind spiders but I have only experienced tiddlers in the UK..

Emerald has just experienced its worst flooding last month. Being a flat farming area (mainly citrus growing), it is prone to a few wet areas.

On the other hand, it is quite a vibrant town, with a good infrastructure.

There are a few mossies but only nuisance value...:yes:

Weatherwise...

Emerald Ap climate, averages and extreme weather records

Fairbairn dam is only a few km out of town and is excellent for a good feed of redclaw yabbies...

Fairbairn Dam, Lake Maraboon - Things To See and Do - Queensland Holidays

Emerald is also the dropping off place for the worlds biggest sapphire deposits...

The Gemfields

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived