To ship or not to ship ( the car)

crispysince70

Well, we got a internet quote from Roll on Roll off ( I think it was called ) and they were saying £1700 just to get the car over. then it would be plus a all the taxes.

Cos our belongings would easily go in a 20 footer (she says lol), but we wouldn''t be able to squash in the car too, so what do ya do?

I'm thinking that if we deffo take the car It'll have to be the 40 footer, but is it worth the extra money??

The car's nothing fancy, but we've had it from new ( VW Touran, tdi sport, 2.0 TDI, 55 plate ) it's reliable and we like it. A lot!. I reckon it's worth about £7000 over here, but the replacement cost would be about double from what I can see.

At the other end, it might cost me about £1500 in taxes alone, so that would be the taxes plus the cost for the extra 20 foot of room. Which of course we could use by stuffing a load of other things in.

What do you people think? are mad even to think about it?

Any advise or comments are much appreciated.:biggrin:

Guest chris955

To be honest unless the car is a classic or something special (Aston Martin, Porsche etc) I would honestly say don't bother. By the time you add all the taxes and costs at this end and all the hoops they have you jump through it just really isn't worthwhile.

Guest Guest31881

A lot of people decide to bring their car over, despite the doom-mongers some find it beneficial to do so.I think most transport in a container, take a look at this thread as it may give you more info ..

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know.html

Iron chef on that thread is a mine of information and has been very good to a lot of members by giving sound advice.

Guest chris955

I don't think it has anything to do with doom mongering, it is a case of simple economics. To my mind unless the car is very special, old or was really cheap it is rarely economically viable. This is especially true when the car isn't an Australian model or is rare here which then makes spares expensive.

Guest MagsInCanberra

I've brought a car from ireland, it is hassle but mine was a VW passat with low mileage and even with the transport cost it was well worth it. dont worry you can fill the car with stuff and if you get a roof boot then you get even more stuff in it. The only risk is that stuff will be stolen as someone always has access to the keys. I had some stuff taken from inside the car, not sure at which end so you cant point the finger at anyone. I put a kitchen table, hall table and boxes of personal items in it so it was still worth it.

Good luck.

If the quote is for delivery to Mainland Melbourne you will also need to factor in the costs of getting it to Tassie as well

also worth taking into consideration if you are not planning on buying a second car, you wont have the car for at least 10 weeks and you will need to rent something. thats $2500/$3000 as well.

Well, we got a internet quote from Roll on Roll off ( I think it was called ) and they were saying £1700 just to get the car over. then it would be plus a all the taxes.

Cos our belongings would easily go in a 20 footer (she says lol), but we wouldn''t be able to squash in the car too, so what do ya do?

I'm thinking that if we deffo take the car It'll have to be the 40 footer, but is it worth the extra money??

The car's nothing fancy, but we've had it from new ( VW Touran, tdi sport, 2.0 TDI, 55 plate ) it's reliable and we like it. A lot!. I reckon it's worth about £7000 over here, but the replacement cost would be about double from what I can see.

At the other end, it might cost me about £1500 in taxes alone, so that would be the taxes plus the cost for the extra 20 foot of room. Which of course we could use by stuffing a load of other things in.

What do you people think? are mad even to think about it?

Any advise or comments are much appreciated.:biggrin:

We brought ours over 6.5 years ago. It was low mileage, and didn't regret it. Just check that you are able to get the parts ok over here, or if you have someone who can organise them for you from the UK. We had several parts sourced from the UK over the years, and the guys at the garage we sent our car to suggested we set up a parts business, as we got them quicker than he could have got them from Brisbane and cheaper too!:laugh:

We had a 40 ft container, were not allowed to ship anything in the car, the shipping company charged GBP 400 for building a cage around the car, to protect it, and store boxes on the top. At the time, the customs, duty etc was cheaper than we expected, they valued the car when it arrived and charged accordingly. I did struggle to find a company to insure an import fully comp, but eventually found Just Car Insurance.

As I say, for us it was worth it, but do bear in mind that was over 6 years ago, it may be a different story now. We have recently traded the import in, for my sons car, we were :sad: to see it go.

Hope this is of some help.

Archived