How long should we have travel insurance for??

Guest JK2510

Hiya,

how ling should we book our travel insurance for?? Should it be for the duration of the one way trip or until Medicare is sorted??

Thanks.

We have booked it for 2 weeks as I thought we need to apply for our tax file number and until that is done we can't apply for Medicare.

Hmmm, I'm surprised that some insurance companies actually insured you!!! We tried to get insured with a couple of insurers and all of them told us the same thing.....that we cannot get insured since it was one way and emigrating, that is, not going back.

By the way, you can get Medicare straight away, at least thats how it was in our case. They also gave us temporary cards until the plastic cards arrived by post.

Go figure!

Cheers

B!K3R

Guest siamsusie

Go Walkabout Insurance insure one way Go Walkabout Travel Insurance- Backpacker, Longstay and Emigration Travel Insurance and they are exceptionally good to deal with. I use them for all travel between the UK and Oz.

Medicare kicks in almost immediately for those entitled to it but reciprocal healthcare between the UK and Australia for emergencies is also available at no cost.

Susie x

TBH we only wanted the cover for the flights(baggage) we have 5 suitcases and 5 large bags we will need to check in!!

We applied online and there was never an option of a migrant section. I don't understand why we should be treated differently. :)

Guest siamsusie
TBH we only wanted the cover for the flights(baggage) we have 5 suitcases and 5 large bags we will need to check in!!

We applied online and there was never an option of a migrant section. I don't understand why we should be treated differently. :)

Medical cover with stopovers such as Singapore,Dubai, Bangkok, KL etc can be expensive if there were to be an event.. also Dubai on occasions have delays due to sand storms, so having cover protects you in that eventuality.

Migrant cover is because you will then reside in Australia therefore a one way passenger, which appears to make a difference.

Susie:wubclub:

Guest travelsparks
I think you can only have it for the duration of the journey if you are migrating?

Yes it is for only the duration of the journey and you have to double check that it actually covers you for that as most policies are for UK based people and then if there is a problem en route will have to go back to UK as on policy , so need to get a special one way policy to cover

Archived