Back in UK after 11 years in Australia!

Guest Sunstar

Guest Sunstar

Hi everyone,

After 11 years living in Sydney I made the brave and trepidatious decision to return home to the UK and I got back 2 months ago. My decision was based on finally accepting that Australia was not home for me, and never would be and also the 5 year relationship I was in was way past its expiry date. Whilst the lifestyle there ticked many boxes and many valuable and precious experiences were gained, I longed for the familiarity, cultural and historical richness, seasonal shifts, access to mainland Europe, closer proximity to my family that being in England provided (the list goes on..). Besides, I don’t think I could have survived another Christmas in sweltering temperatures and humidity (that’s just wrong!)

So I am back and starting all over again – looking for a new job, new home, new friends, single again – which I find incredibly daunting as I try to re-orientate, re-adjust and feel settled. My parents are thrilled that I am back, whilst others cannot fathom why I would leave the Australian sun for the grey, bleak gloom and doom of Britain. Trying to explain my reasoning is almost futile.

It's been wonderful reading people's stories through these forums - there is a special affinity between people who move overseas and then return back home and start afresh. Any tips or advice about ‘settling back in’ and re-acclimatising would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know of any social meet up groups for British expats returning to the UK based around London?

Good luck to all those contemplating re-locating back home.

Guest sazzle76

welcome back!

i hope everything settles for you, which im sure it will.

as for acclimatising... jumpers and uggs!! as gas prices are thru the roof!!

Hope you look forward to a cold xmas too! must admit i cant imagine puttin a tshirt on instead of a new xmas jumer on xmas day lol

im not from the south but theres lots of ppl on here that r.

so just wanted to say good luck. :wink:

Guest cricketbackinengland

I too wish to welcome you home and wish you much success. My husband and I returned 17 months ago and are both very happy. We love England. Like you, I found Australia very alien to my tastes and longed to be back in familiar surroundings. I never wanted to leave England, I was married to an Australian man who wanted to go home. We all went as a family and after a year, he left me! It took me 4 years to put together a plan to return and during that time I met my new husband.

If you don't mind me saying, I wouldn't bother trying to explain to people why you came back. If they've never lived overseas, they won't be able to relate.

Good luck being single again too. It is very daunting but you don't have to rush into anything. Just enjoy being back home, finding your feet and meeting like minded friends.

Good luck! You have certainly chosen the hardest time of year to return to UK, she never looks her best with her winter clothing on but just wait a month and your heart will be soaring as the colours unfold.

I havent done what you are doing although I wish I had - many times. Valleylass is proposing a get together shortly but I think that was further north. I dont know that the returnees tend to frequent the board too much, they are mostly out and about getting on with it and enjoying life I think - but hopefully someone will see this!

As for the usual "why come back to this dump?" question - someone had the best answer "well, have you ever lived abroad?" - no - "well then ......"

Meanwhile, I guess I'd just get out there and follow your interests and try and hook up with people who like doing the same things as you do. For me it would be craft groups, local history groups, family history societies etc. I even link in with them when I have time and am on holiday - they are usually very welcoming.

Welcome Home!!!!

Guest chris955

It seems to be more and more common for long term ex pats to return home. This country just seems to lack a certain something for many, some call it a buzz. It is a hard time to return in the depths of winter but winter never really bothered me. Some in the UK that question your choice think that sunshine is absolutely everything, after years in the heat and humidity we have realised the weather is actually of little importance overall.

Just remember you are not in Australia, things are different. It is the same as when you arrived here years ago. Just go with the flow for awhile and before long you will be back in the groove.

Good luck.

I thought it snowed the 2 days of summer last year ? :wink:

Not where I was :laugh: first summer back and it was on e of the warmest on record, just been through one of the coldest winters on record and I am still here.:biggrin:

Guest chris955

Yeah yeah, pull the other one. I have it on very good authority that there was and indeed never is a summer in the UK. Just a couple of days when it doesn't rain or snow.

Yeah yeah, pull the other one. I have it on very good authority that there was and indeed never is a summer in the UK. Just a couple of days when it doesn't rain or snow.

No. no Chris, you got it wrong, in the summer it RAINS all the time, the sky is perpetually grey and though you may THINK it is going to snow, it really never snows between the end of June and the beginning of July. Get with the plan, man!!!

My advice is..... if your at a bit of a loss about what job you will do - go to college, have a look at what courses they do. I chilled for a few months on returning home, trying to decide what to do, then went to college and did my GCSE L2 numeracy and literacy again, then I enrolled in Uni as a full time student studying to get a degree. I figured I am struggling for money and could carry on like this for a few years, knowing at the end of it I shall have the opportunity to get a well paid job when I have my degree. I thought If I went straight to work I would get trapped and never chase my dream. It was the best decision I have ever made. I live off student grants, money is tight but my goal is in sight!

We are also heading back after nearly 12 years. I sold some furniture this morning and the lady was astounded that we would want to leave here. I told her that Australia was now too expensive and too hot for us, and that we were fed up with being derided all the time, vis-a-vis 'whingeing poms' and worse. I'm sure I saw her husband smile!

So looking forward to going home. Life is an adventure after all. I can't wait for a warm pint of ale and a pickled egg in a beer garden with grass (and dogs allowed), a stroll to a castle or National Trust house & garden and, if I'm lucky, the chance to roll naked in the soft sphagnum moss and lush green grass of my homeland where nothing except the sweet smell of reality is likely to bite me on the bum!

To others returning - all the best.

Oh, has anyone sent home an elderly dog recently? Ours has all the vaccines, just worried about the journey. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Archived