Return to the UK - Any visa or other docs needed?

Guest RAADownUnder

Guest RAADownUnder

We have lived in Oz for 4 years now as permanent residents but my husband may have to return to the UK as he is struggling to get work.

As we were born and bred in the UK and lived there for 46 years(me) and 48 years(hubby) when we left in 2007 and have UK passports I assume that we still have the right to live in the UK but wanted to know if we needed any documents that the UK may have introduced since we left to allow us to go back?

Anyone got any ideas?

Guest chris955

As far as I know you just return and restart where you left off, you haven't lost any rights or privileges and don't need anything to entitle you to all your rights as a citizen.

Dont assume that you can go back and sign on the dole, claim benefits or even get NHS treatment straight away. The Habitual Residency test means that you may not be entitled to some benefits striaght away and have to wait at least 3 months. My OH had this problem after doing some work in Oz and the doctors would not sign him on until he proved that his temp job in Oz was for a few months and he was normally resident in the UK.

There was a high profile case a couple of years ago of a British woman who had lived in Spain and returned to the Uk when she was diagnosed with a serious disease and was refused treatment on the NHS as she had been out of the country more than 6 months and could not prove that she normally resided in the Uk as she had a house/property etc in Spain.

Any super contributions cannot be taken back to the uk as well. I know that the dole isnt much in OZ but you should be able to claim it

You are British citizens so you can come and go to the Uk as you please but you might need to look into your Australian PR visa as it will expire in a year and you have to spend 90 days in Australia (I think) before it runs out. You should be able to apply for Aussie citizenship (although this takes some time). If i were you i would get this first before going back to the UK as you wont be able to come back to Australia (after the 5 year period) and would have to apply for a resident return visa. The you can play ping pong poms with no worries. Dont forget that the Uk economy is up s**t creek so your chances of of gettign work might be evern worse than Australia.

Good luck with your choices.

Archived