Out of school childcare

Fashionably Late

I am a bit lost on this scenario as I have been home since my twins were born 4 1/2 years ago and when I worked it was in the US. My husband and I have had the discussions about me returning to work once the twins start school in Australia (already in reception here). We also have a 13 year old.

I see that many schools, even the Catholic ones, have before and after school care but the care stops at age 12. What happens with children older than 12? Are they typically left at home after school? Also, what happens during the long school holidays?

I have been out of the workforce, except working from home, for the last 7 years so I am a bit lost on this and then add onto it moving to a new country. Can anyone help with this? Also, are working mums more the norm in Australia? Where we live in the UK has very few working mums and almost no childcare arrangements.

All depends on where you are I suspect but, yes, around here working mums are very much the norm. I think families tend to either farm their kids out to rellies, take their annual leave or leave the kids on their own (the more likely scenario) once they hit HS. There are some workplaces where you can buy extra leave and some parents I know do that. There are also some more adventure type school holiday programs for older kids - horse riding trails etc. Otherwise they generally reckon that kids are independent enough once they hit HS to be doing their own thing during the holidays and definitely after school.

Archived