176 Visa - How long do they take?

laurab1987

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are visiting Perth in March and if we like it we will be starting our visa application in April. Anyone got any ideas how long they normally take and is a pretty straight forward process?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

There are various processes to obtaining a 176, the skills Assessment, IELTS, State Sponsorship and then finally applying for the visa. The time frame for these processes depends on your occupation, which State sponsorship is required, etc. After filing for the visa, DIAC have promised that it will take upto 6-8 months for processing and this can change at any time depending on the application.

There are various processes to obtaining a 176, the skills Assessment, IELTS, State Sponsorship and then finally applying for the visa. The time frame for these processes depends on your occupation, which State sponsorship is required, etc. After filing for the visa, DIAC have promised that it will take upto 6-8 months for processing and this can change at any time depending on the application.

Thanks very much for your reply. So if we want to start our application would we have to have done the skills assessment, IELTS, and state sponsorship first? I'm just worrying about the changes to the points test that will come about in July, I'm not sure we will still qualify after that!

Do you know if we start the skills tests etc before July we are ok or is that when we have to have actually applied by?

All very confusing, sorry if I'm being dumb!!

Thanks very much for your reply. So if we want to start our application would we have to have done the skills assessment, IELTS, and state sponsorship first? I'm just worrying about the changes to the points test that will come about in July, I'm not sure we will still qualify after that!

Do you know if we start the skills tests etc before July we are ok or is that when we have to have actually applied by?

Yes, you will have to get the skills assessment, IELTS (if required), SS first before applying for the visa.

Actually, the time frame depends on the Assessment body and is vey difficult to know for a fact how long it will take. The timeframe for SS depends on the State and at that particular time how many applications they have for processing. If you require the IELTS, it all depends how long it takes for you to get the required scores. If you are from an English speaking country, you can submit this later in the process but some occupations still require the IELTS.

Guest SteNRach

Hi Laurab

My hubby passed his Competency Profile Assessment ( paper based ) with VETASSESS in July 2010 and we waited for dates for him to book onto the Practical Assessment. They were supposed to be in November but were cancelled by VETASSESS. He's now booked for his Practical Diesel Motor Mechanic ( Heavy Vehicle ) on Feb 22nd 2011. Just giving you an idea of a possible waiting period for skills assessment. What skill are you applying for?

Good luck :smile:

We will be applying for a gas fitter sponsored visa, me and our son will be going out on my partners visa! We are going to give a migration agent a call tomo and see if we can get a time frame and if we can get Adam booked in for the skills assessment!

I'm thinking maybe we have left this a bit late to get done before the changes in July. We will have to see If we still qualify! Neither or us have been to Perth so we don't know if we like it (I'm sure we will though from what iv heard and seen of it) Adam has wanted to go all along but I have been a bit unsure but now it seems we might not get the application in before the changes and we might not then be able to go I feel pretty gutted, so I'm guessing that means I do want to go after-all!! Let's see what the agent says tomo :-)

Guest VickyMel

It took us about 4 months to get the skills assessment and SS together in order to apply.

Even if you don't make it in time and the point system does kick you out - keep an eye out in the future. Oz needs people with skills if they find that they have implemented a system that kicks out some of the people they need they will have to alter it again in the future.

We have gone from high priority when we started - to low priority as we applied - to lowest priority - and back up to high priority in the space of 2 years. Its frustrating as hell (and not every one has been as lucky - if you can call it lucky) - but because it changes all the time it is worth keeping an eye out for what is heppening.

You have got to be in it to win it

VickyMel

Archived