Canberra cost of living for a couple!

Guest RobzNdebz

Guest RobzNdebz

Hiya

I know there are many similar posts like this but we are a newly married couple aged 30, no kiddies planned for a least a couple of years!

Our visa came through

I would like to know other couples (just for 2) cost of livings as I have seen many on here based on families of 4 and 5 and have tried to work out what the costs will be for us but maybe easier if there are young couples out there that can just let us know what the actual costs are likely to be!!

We will be renting and this will mean that we wont need to pay for council tax or water as I believe that is the landlords responsibility?

I am a PA so will be looking for similar PA/admin jobs, is it true that I need special clearance to work in the government offices? Cant I just use my police checks certificate?!

Rent:

Deposit:

Food:

Private health insurance:

Electric:

Gas:

House Insurance:

Car Insurance:

Car Tax/Rego:

Petrol:

Mobile Phones:

Internet:

Cable TV:

Phone:

Heating/Aircon:

Have I missed anything?

Thanks very much!!!

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/northern-territory-tasmania-act/103574-canberra-cost-living.html Not quite your scenario but might give you a bit of a clue. There are lots of things which are independent of age. Rates are payable by the landlord but you will be paying rent which we dont have to do - you are probably going to be looking at $450 bottom line for something nice that you want to live in but you will have the option of apartment living which is out for many families and might work out quite a bit cheaper especially as most apartments are in the inner suburbs so probably more chance to economize on transport.

You need to be a citizen to work in federal government so you wont be able to get a job there. ACT government has a requirement for permanent residence so you may be able to apply but the days of PAs in local government are long gone and there is usually more of an emphasis on public service clerk functions which may be program skill specific. If you need a security clearance then that would need to be arranged - your police check wont be enough especially if you should land a job which needs quite high security but as you arent a citizen and wont be going into the public service that is probably a non issue anyway.

It might be a good idea to register with an agency and you might pick up some contract work to begin with - Canberra is very much a "who you know" place and you can pick up contacts if you are on a temporary contract. There is a fair bit of competition out there at the moment - we just advertised a very lowly paid admin job and had 56 applicants, interviewed 6 and the person who got the job did actually already have a relationship with the organization but with a different hat on!

Good luck.

Archived