Can solicitors certify documents for a visa?

Lil Bev

Hi

I have recently lodged my 176 visa online. I am just wondering if solicitors can certify documents? The reason i ask is that i currently have 2 different answers. The email i received from DIAC when i applied for my visa states that:

If the copy is certified outside Australia:

- a person who is the equivalent of a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Declarations in that place; or

- a registered migration agent (whose registration is not suspended or subject to a caution).

However on the Australia High Commission website it states:

Certification of documents

The table below lists professions that can certify documents in the UK and Ireland. Only documents certified by these professions will be accepted.

Australian Terminology - UK

Practicing lawyer(AU) - Solicitor(UK)

Magistrate(AU) - Magistrate(UK)

Public notary(AU) - Notary public(UK)

Justice of the peace(AU) - Justice of the peace(UK)

Position/agency recognised by the law of the country to certify documents(AU) -

Officer of a Court appointed by a Judge to take affidavits(UK)

I had most of my documents certified last year by a justice of the peace at the local court, for documents to be sent to the ANMC. The documents that currently need to be certified are my husbands full birth certificate, his passport bio page, my positive skills assessment and my IELTS test report. Hope someone can help.

Hi Bev,

I didn't get my IELTS certificate certified as it's a coloured page, same for husbands bio page, skills assessment and birth certificate, hopefully I'll be ok or I'll be running around trying to get certified copies, OH's passport would be tricky though as it's in Afghanistan just now :tongue:

Sharon

Hi Bev,

I didn't get my IELTS certificate certified as it's a coloured page, same for husbands bio page, skills assessment and birth certificate, hopefully I'll be ok or I'll be running around trying to get certified copies, OH's passport would be tricky though as it's in Afghanistan just now :tongue:

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

sorry i'm just a bit of a stress head at the mo! :goofy: Just want to make sure its right as some say they should be certified and others say if its colour then it doesnt need to be. I'm going to be in a similar position soon when he goes away for 2 months with his passport so need to find out asap.

Bev x

Guest tabatha
Hi

I have recently lodged my 176 visa online. I am just wondering if solicitors can certify documents? The reason i ask is that i currently have 2 different answers. The email i received from DIAC when i applied for my visa states that:

If the copy is certified outside Australia:

- a person who is the equivalent of a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Declarations in that place; or

- a registered migration agent (whose registration is not suspended or subject to a caution).

However on the Australia High Commission website it states:

Certification of documents

The table below lists professions that can certify documents in the UK and Ireland. Only documents certified by these professions will be accepted.

Australian Terminology - UK

Practicing lawyer(AU) - Solicitor(UK)

Magistrate(AU) - Magistrate(UK)

Public notary(AU) - Notary public(UK)

Justice of the peace(AU) - Justice of the peace(UK)

Position/agency recognised by the law of the country to certify documents(AU) -

Officer of a Court appointed by a Judge to take affidavits(UK)

I had most of my documents certified last year by a justice of the peace at the local court, for documents to be sent to the ANMC. The documents that currently need to be certified are my husbands full birth certificate, his passport bio page, my positive skills assessment and my IELTS test report. Hope someone can help.

Yeah a soliciter certified all my docs and all seem okay...

Archived