any driving related jobs?

Guest leicestershire2!

Guest leicestershire2!

Hi!,

We are moving to Perth in Jan 2008. My wife has already been offered a job as a medical Dr. At the moment I am a drving instructor. I also hold a HGV1 licence. Is there anybody out there who could offer me any advice on what I would need to do to start work or do I need to re-train? Thanks .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jillanddarren

If you wish to work as an HGV Driver you will need to resit your test . A UK driving licence is recognised and you must change to a state licence within 3 months. But for HGV you will be asked to resit your test , if your OH is a DR and you are allowed to work the full hours on your visa , finding work should not be a problem [ once you have gained your HC licence] however if you are hoping to be sponsored as an HGV driver - forget it . The category is currently under review here by immigration and although employers are keen to sponsor HGV drivers , the application once sent to immigration just sits in Canberra. As for driving instructors , i am afraid I have no idea.

If your OH has a job and you are entitled to work under her visa than that is half the battle won.

Best of luck , moving to Oz is not an easy option , they require licences for everything and at your cost. Bring plenty of cash with you and whatever you expect to spend - double it and then triple it for good measure and that will give you a more realistic idea of what things will cost.

Its a fabulous country and the people are great but it will take time and money for your qualifications to be recognised - and the pay is alot less and alot of hours if you want to work as a driver

Archived