Living here on 457 Business Visas, having baby in Oz

Guest annec

Guest annec

My partner and I have been living here for the last two years on 457 visas and have recently found out we're expecting a baby at the end of September - which was a bit of a shock but we're very happy! Since we're not PR it doesn't look like we'll qualify for the baby bonus and I've been trying to find out if we'd qualify for any help from the UK government since we're still British citizens, as will the baby be when it's born. Can anyone help? We're looking to return to the Uk next year once the baby is here safely and OK to travel.

Any help/advice/ tales of similar experinces greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Congratulations!

I would contact the UK embassy and check what you need to do to register the baby's birth as there will probably be forms to fill in ( as always). Other than applying for child benefit etc in the UK once you return I am afraid that there will be no help from the UK or Australia while you are here on a 457 visa. That is why we are trying to hurry our PR through as with 4 kids here on a 457 visa the lack of child benefit is a real issue for us.

Good luck with it all.

Nicky

Oh I forgot to ask are you both working? or are you OK to remain in Australia financially with your partner working while you have the baby. If it is you that is working I would check out how you are affected by needing maternity leave while on a 457 visa as I have no clue how that would affect you.

Nicky

Archived