What year would my children be in?

Fashionably Late

ACT cut off is April so your twins will go to school in 2012 and will be amongst the oldest. However ACT has universal free preschool of IIRC 15 hours a week and you should be able to get them into a preschool (may not be your local one at this time of year because they do allocate places at the end of the previous year).

Your daughter will be in year 8 in 2011.

Living just outside the ACT border has a few implications - first, your kids wont have an entitlement to an ACT schooling. Schools are obliged to place their local students then wider ACT students and then they can look at NSW students for any vacancies. Some schools take more NSW kids than others but you may not get the choice you would like, especially not for HS.

Secondly, the cut off date for NSW is 31 July which means that your twins, turning 5 in May this year would be eligible for kindergarten in NSW and if you were to move to ACT then the ACT Dept has an agreement with NSW that they will take kids at their NSW year (ie effectively a way to get early entry). However, as twins often have a bit of catching up to do you may not want them to be younger than the youngest in the class at all.

Also, living in NSW does not entitle a child to free ACT preschool - again the priorities are for local ACT kids. NSW has a fee based preschool service.

Better to live within ACT borders if you want to access ACT education as a general rule.

Thanks Quoll. We are definitely hoping to live within ACT borders. This is fabulous information. I would rather keep the twins back until 2012. They are the tiniest in their reception class and would prefer to give them time to catch up a bit. My eldest will now have time to make friends before starting year 9.

We are hoping to send the girls to Catholic school as this is how I was educated and it means something to me but we will just finally be out there. Now we just need to start researching living areas and find hubby a job.

Very large Catholic system so you shouldnt have too much bother finding something. They arent as nit picky with the ACT border as are the gov schools and tend to work on meeting the needs of kids in the diocese which goes beyond the ACT border.

You might want to check out St Clares (Griffith) or Merici (Braddon) for your daughter's HS - they are single sex girl schools and tend to have the better reputations. Probably avoid Mary McKillop down in Tuggeranong from all accounts.

Get the job first if you can - you dont want to be working at one end of the city and living at the other if you can possibly help it.

Archived