Weekend away

Cerberus1

Had a couple of days away over the weekend at the Undara Experience. We'd stopped there for 1 night back in July when we were driving down from Darwin to Brisbane and wanted to go back in the wet season. Have included some photos of the journey. We stopped off at a few of the sites on the way.

First stop was Mt. Hypipamee. The photo below is a crater created by volcanic activity. It's a 60m drop to the waterline, then a further 80m below the water line before the crater turns direction (like the shape of a foot) and continues for an unknown distance)

1.jpg

A couple of hundred metres away from the crater is Dinner Falls. Our eldest son took the opportunity to have a swim in the water hole in front of the falls. We absolutely didn't laugh as he was slowly edging himself in due to the water being quite cold, before he promptly disappeared from view when he unexpectedly found the deep end.:laugh:

2.jpg

Walking back up to the car park, we came across what we think was a Water Python, around 2m in length, which was nice :-)

Next stop was Millaa Milla Falls (pictured below). We didn't stop long there as it was quite busy.

3.jpg

Next stop was Millstream Water Falls (pictured below). Near the falls is an historic walk - The area was used as a training base during WWII as the area has similar terrain to PNG. The walk has various remnants of the training camp - Campsites, trenches, training areas, corduroy roads, a flag pole site and training and parade grounds.

4.jpg

Next stop, can't remember, but there was a scenic lookout. The picture below is several photos taken using my iphone and stitched together using a great little app called 'Autostitch' which creates panoramic photos (for those of us who's camera can't do panoramas)

4a.jpg

After the detours it was on to Undara. Back in July is was absolutely packed, but this weekend, we almost had the place to ourselves, and accommodation is half price during the wet season which is a bonus. First time around we were in the campavan, but as we travelled by car this time, we stopped in some of the on-site accommodation - antique railway carriages (photos below).

6a.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

We were booked in for the Wildlife at Sunset Tour Saturday Night (more about that later), so took the opportunity Sat morn/afternoon to do a couple of the many self guided walks around Undara. The first walk we did was the Pioneer Walk. The walk follows the route of a telegraph line that was built in the 1870s and passes the Heritage Hut - a replica early pioneer dwelling. (Pictures below)

8.jpg

The second walk we did was 'Atkinson's Lookout' - which we found more enjoyable than the first walk as the terrain was more varied and we saw more wildlife.

11.jpg

13.jpg

In the evening we did the Wildlife at Sunset tour (we didn't do the lava tube tours this time as we'd done them back in July). The first of the tour involves driving through the bush on a minibus whilst the guide points out examples of the various types of wildlife which can be found throughout the national park. The second part involves scaling a small hill where champagne & a food platter is served while you watch the sunset go down over the Savannah plains. Photos below

8a.jpg

9.jpg

After the descent back to the bus (easier said that done after being slightly inebriated it was on to Barkers Cave, which was the main reason we'd travelled to Undara. Approaching the cave, it sounds like there's a water fall down there, but the sound is actually beating wings - Barkers Cave is the home to around 250,000 micro bats. With the bats leaving the cave to feed each night. The local snakes are wise to this, and hang in the trees at the entrance to the cave waiting to catch a tasty bat ot two as they fly out. Couple of photos below

10.jpg

14.jpg

Guest guest37336

Hi Rob.

Now that's what I call Australia, fantastic. The ninth photo down of the small cabin. Do me a favour Rob, put in an offer for me. Seriously, that sort of place is heaven to me. If successful in your bid, I promise to reimburse you, I promise honestly.:goofy:

Great pictures Rob. Looks like a great time had by all.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest The Pom Queen

LOL what Rob failed to mention was that he did most of the walks with the kids as I wasn't physically able to make it, I managed to get down to the waterfalls which were beautiful and as Rob said when the eldest was walking along in the shallow end and then dropped right in I was hysterical until my youngest said but mum a croc might have him. Don't worry I'm not a bad mum there are no crocs around there lol.

It was lovely down there until we had to walk back uphill, the boys nearly ended up carrying me.

Guest guest37336
Hi Tony

Will these photo's seal the deal

20.jpg

21.jpg

Tempted myself, but couldn't work out where the ADSL wall socket was.

:biglaugh:Oh I don't know Rob, some of the backpackers I slept in looked worse.

Lick of paint, (or two), and I'm sure Bobj would be able to run a few ADSL cables through somewhere, he would be in his element.

:biglaugh:Oh I don't know Rob, some of the backpackers I slept in looked worse.

Lick of paint, (or two), and I'm sure Bobj would be able to run a few ADSL cables through somewhere, he would be in his element.

Great part of Queensland, innit? Real bushman type of country.

Really pleased that you blokes enjoyed The Undara Lava Tubes.icon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Great part of Queensland, innit? Real bushman type of country.

Really pleased that you blokes enjoyed The Undara Lava Tubes.icon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks Bobj, we thought we might go over to Chillagoe in a couple of weeks time, don't know much/anything about the area, but I guess that's half the fun.

Thanks Bobj, we thought we might go over to Chillagoe in a couple of weeks time, don't know much/anything about the area, but I guess that's half the fun.

Mate! It's a toss up between Chillagoe, or Broken Hill, for us on our trip to The Kimberlies next May/June.

Decisions, decisions...

Chillagoe is in a limestone area, old gold and copper mines and a few modern marble quarries. And a few caves.

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived