Who should we tell we are leaving?

junellew

Not really sure if this is the right section for this qu but i'll go for it.....who do you need to tell that you are leaving the country?! ie, we get child benefit, working tax credits etc. do we tell these guys and when? also what did everyone do about uk bank accounts/credit cards? do u keep them open? Is there anyone else we need to notify "authority" wise that we are going? We have a house that comes with our job here and all bills paid so all that is fine - thank goodness - have enough to do without all that!

You definitely need to tell the DWP (as they've done a deal with the Aussie government, that allows them to garnish your Aussie pay cheque for money they feel you owe).

As for Banks / Credit cards, it really is down to you - although some companies may not want to deal with you when you're offshore.

Tell people who pay you money.

Tell people who employ you.

Tell your neighbours and friends.

Tell your utilities, television subscriptions, etc.

Tell your landlord if you have one.

Tell the council to stop the council tax.

Tell DVLA that you have sold your car(s) but don't tell them about the move as you'll want your driving licence for exchanging.

Cancel all standing orders.

Get a post office mail forwarding service set up (max two years - can get an Australia Post forwarding if you then move again once you have arrived) which allows you to continue to operate a UK bank account without telling anyone you have moved abroad - this is very useful in the short term for paying final bills and stuff.

Remember, early days in Australia will be much easier if you are still in good standing with people back home - you never know when someone will ask for a reference or written evidence of some kind.

Take copies of bank statements and bills as evidence of good financial history.

Best of luck!

Guest smileykylie

Different banks have different rules about having bank accounts when living abroad. Abbey more than happy to change my address, Cahoot (owned by the same bank) not happy and had to close the account. Virgin and Mint happy to change my address and let me keep my credit cards!

Definitely HMRC.

Thanks for all the advice everyone - and I will check the links out soon too.

I just realised the post sounded a bit like I wanted to get away with not telling certain people which is definitely not the case :err: Just wanted to know who has to know - a check list kinda thing as I'm bound to forget!

Also am confused as to our "status" when we move out there. My husband and boys both own joint citizenship and I'm on a marriage visa. When we get there we are travelling Oz for 6 months and won't have a fixed abode - will be using our parents as an address. So are we technically living in Oz then or still in the UK? I was going to keep my bank open and just use my Dads address - can you do that? Thanks again guys - i love the wealth of knowledge everyone has on here!:notworthy:

Archived