Visit to the Doctors

3 Piccos

Guest Francine

Can someone please explain what bulk billing is? We (myself, husband and 3 kids) are moving over to Perth in summer and I just thought you needed private health care to cover medical costs! Any information would be much appreciated!

Guest guest30038
Can someone please explain what bulk billing is? We (myself, husband and 3 kids) are moving over to Perth in summer and I just thought you needed private health care to cover medical costs! Any information would be much appreciated!

Doctor's receive a fixed fee from the gov't for a patient's consultation. A doctor who bulk bills requests payment from the gov't and no cost is incurred to the patient. Many doctor's think the fee is inadequate and charge the patient more for the consultation. In my doctor's case, a consultation is $60 for which I receive a receipt. I take the receipt to a medicare office and am recompensed with what the doc would normally get off the gov't if he bulk billed. Off the top of my head I think the gov't pays the doc around $39 so if he charges me 60 I get 39 back from the medicare office.

kev

Australian has a free public healthcare system similar to the NHS in the UK so you do not have to have private insurance - assuming you qualify for the public system.

Archived