Ielts

SimoneAL

Hi all,

I have been trying to book the earleist IELTS session available, to give me some contingency time. Unfortunately I was not quick enough and January session was fully booked.

I am therefore going for February session, but only the academic format is available. I checked other test centres and it seems to be the same thing everywhere.

The general training is required for my occupation, will the academic format be accepted anyway?

I have asked DIAC some days ago but they haven't replied yet...

Thanks

Simone

Here is the link to the DIAC WEBSITE:

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

What is the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)?

The IELTS is a test designed to assess an applicant's English language ability. It has an academic test and a general training test – you need only take the general training test unless otherwise advised by your skills assessing authority.

My interpretation is such that you can take either General or Academic.

The academic is much harder than the general so be prepared!!

I am aware! Twice during the last 10 years I had to sit the academic format for completely different reasons, and I never scored 7 in each band.

It sounds like I have to do some serious studying :arghh:

I have just received a reply from DIAC, quicker than I thought:

IELTS has an academic test and a general training test and both are acceptable for General Skilled Migration visa applications although some Educational institutes may require you to sit the academic test. You should check with your education provider or assessing authority before deciding which test to undertake.

and it also states

When forwarding results from your IELTS test, a certified copy of your results is acceptable. If you intend to electronically lodge your General Skilled Migration Application, you need only provide your IELTS 'Test Report Form Number' as the department can access your results electronically.
which means less paper to handle :D

thnx

Simone

Can you not try another test centre? I went to one three hours drive away for a more convenient date.

I agree mate!

Cannot understand why there are no IELTS tests for the General one. I also did the General test and as many said the academic is not easy at all!

Good luck!

Cheers

B!K3R

Hi, you are both absolutely right mates, of course!

But the sessions seem to get fully booked very quickly and I rushed to book the academic in Feb. I panicked a little bit...

I'll have a few drinks between now and Boxing day and everything will be fine :yellow_guy_crazy_ty

Merry Xmas!:snowman7:

Archived