Sydney Accommodation on Arrival

jsc77

Hi all,

Can anyone offer advice as to what they did for accommodation on arrival in Sydney? Any recommendations of short term furnished lets, especially if bid enough for 2 adults and 4 young kids, would be great.

Thanks,

John

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi

sorry i don't know the answer to this, someone else might, why don't you look at stayz, or realestate.com.au for rentals, best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest denandian

Hi There,

We are thinking the same thing, we are moving over at the end of Feb on a 457, i will be working over all the sydney area and my lucky hubby will be staying at home with the kids 5 & 4yrs for the first year till joss my 4yr old is ready for school, just waiting on the visa to drop in.....aahhhh!!!!

we are trying to juggle the when do we ship our stuff / what do we take on the plane, problem. we want to live as close to curl curl as possible, and i dont want to have to swap the kids school around too much, but they seem pretty hot on the catchment areas, so we are worried we will end up staying somewhere for 3months only to have to up route the kids again when we move in to our proper unfurnished rental property once our house stuff arrives? seems like a catch 22.

Let me know if you have solved these dilemmas, would be really useful.

ref the rental, i have been looking on the following, and also been checking out the local press for hints and tips about the areas, there are a few good things in these, but i have found out more in this site than anywhere.

domain.co.au

North Shore Times newspapers Sydney news, sport, events, blogs, competitions - whereilive

Rental Properties, Homes for Rent and Apartments to Lease - realestate.com.au

Guide for expatriates - International Relocation Portal: Move, Work, Live Abroad - Easy Expat

When and where are you going?

Hi There,

We are thinking the same thing, we are moving over at the end of Feb on a 457, i will be working over all the sydney area and my lucky hubby will be staying at home with the kids 5 & 4yrs for the first year till joss my 4yr old is ready for school, just waiting on the visa to drop in.....aahhhh!!!!

we are trying to juggle the when do we ship our stuff / what do we take on the plane, problem. we want to live as close to curl curl as possible, and i dont want to have to swap the kids school around too much, but they seem pretty hot on the catchment areas, so we are worried we will end up staying somewhere for 3months only to have to up route the kids again when we move in to our proper unfurnished rental property once our house stuff arrives? seems like a catch 22.

Let me know if you have solved these dilemmas, would be really useful.

ref the rental, i have been looking on the following, and also been checking out the local press for hints and tips about the areas, there are a few good things in these, but i have found out more in this site than anywhere.

domain.co.au

North Shore Times newspapers Sydney news, sport, events, blogs, competitions - whereilive

Rental Properties, Homes for Rent and Apartments to Lease - realestate.com.au

Guide for expatriates - International Relocation Portal: Move, Work, Live Abroad - Easy Expat

When and where are you going?

You can probably hang off putting a 5 year old into school until you have got a permanent place - that may take you a month or two anyway. You may not get a place in a school's catchment area if it is heavily subscribed as you will be paying fees for them and I vaguely recall reading somewhere that fee payers dont necessarily have the same rights for local places as the non fee paying kids as they have to find places for local kids. No one is going to get their knickers in a knot if a child misses a couple of months of school to get settled.

It is always a good idea to get a holiday let for a month or two so that you have some wriggle room in getting a longer term rental. Stayz Holiday Accommodation - 25,000+ Holiday Rentals across Australia and Wotif.com: Hotels, Accommodation, Motels, Serviced Apartments, B&B - Online hotel bookings with instant confirmation are good places to start looking. For longer term rentals Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au is one place to start looking.

Guest TheNewAustralian

We rented an apartment in the Goldsborough Building in Pyrmont. It wasn't cheap but it's central and, as it was a holiday letting, they didn't need the usual references, etc. for a long term lease.

Interestingly, we also looked for holiday lettings outside of Sydney and couldn't find anywhere cheaper.

We then spent a mad two weeks doing the rounds looking at long term rentals, ending up in Balmain. Learn our lesson; buy a car straightaway.

Archived